Save Money On Your Wedding
Never Pay Full Price On Your Wedding
Here comes the bride and so do the barrage of costs for products and services.Weddings are a high budget averaging between $10, 000 and up. Imagine paying $25,000 or more (literally the price of a car) for a four hour event !
There are ways to keep your costs down and even keep your budget at $5,000 or less.You can keep the cost of your wedding within reasonable limits. We are going to show you how.
First Rule-Never pay full price for anything ! Everything can and should be bought on sale ! Here are our best ideas for supplying your wedding at far less than cost !
Second Rule- Always negotiate for services whenever you can ! It always pays to ask ! Most venues and service people have some room for price negotiation, but will only offer if you ask
Let's get Started !
How I Saved Thousands On My Wedding
A Real Wedding Story
On May6th, 2011 I married my soul mate. We knew we wanted a special day to celebrate our union. For us, it was about having our family and friends sharing this special moment with us. We had a full course buffet, a candy bar, a DJ and of course a wedding cake, Our theme was a beach theme. I actually did with the help of some of my friends all the flowers, centerpieces, all the escort favor-place settings, our DVD gifts to our guests and of course our now famous candy bar. We had so much fun. Every step of the way we saved money ! You can have the party of your life without breaking the bank !
Think About Your Local Thrift Store
Wedding supplies @ Goodwill-You Bet
Think about your local thrifty store to shop for your wedding dÃ©cor and more ! First thing to look for is any vases that you may need, especially if you are doing retro wedding. You might also find cake stands, candles, and more. I found all the containers for my candy bar @ $1.00 a piece. I found candles and shells that went all over in my dÃ©cor. There are lots of things like baskets and sometimes craft items. Think about your wedding and shop at your local thrift store to save
Save Money On Your DIY Wedding Projects No matter what the project is, you need to use coupons ! I did all my wedding flowers, favors, centerpieces , escort cards and DVDs. I never paid full retail for anything. Use Michael's coupons, AC Moore, Joann's and more. I saved hundred's of dollars with my coupons ! You can find them online and in your newspaper
Personalized Wedding Invitations - A Low Cost Alternative
Your wedding Invitations can be one of the most costly item on your stationary needs list. But you can really find some great low cost ideas out there.
You could spend $200 or more on your invites, but we say why would you? Here are some of my favorite money saving ideas for invitations
- Your local craft store has invite kits in multiple themes. They are economical.
- Buy single sheet simple wedding invites. You will save money on postage and printing
- Buy invite kits that you can print on your computer. They are themed and all you have to do is add the wording. Most kits come with invites, envelopes and return responses
- Do DIY Invites. You can save money by making your own invites. All you need to add is some images and you are good to go. Special envelopes for your invites can be purchased
- Buy "forever stamps" That way of the price of mailing goes up, you will have saved money
- Check out your local print store-Many of them will print your invites at a good price.
- Try looking at your local office supply store. They often have invite sets and stationary. They often have printing services so make sure to see what they have to offer
- Do email save the dates and save the time and expense
- Make your own menu cards, escort cards, and wedding favor packaging.
Do It Yourself And Save Big !
Wedding Accessories - Buy Sets & Save
When you buy your wedding accessories separately, you pay a lot more for them as individuals than you do as sets. Buying sets of items will save you a great deal of money.
Save Money On Your Wedding Cake You can buy a very nice cake at most local supermarkets. Many of them will deliver and set up for you. No matter where you get your cake, you can save hundreds ! Order a smaller tiered cake for show ! Have a sheet cake in the kitchen of your vendor. It should have the same icing and filling as your main cake. Doing this will cost you a lot less and your guests will never know
Save on Your Wedding Flowers
The cost of flowers is a large part of your wedding budget. A bridal bouquet alone can cost $750 or above. You really need to think out what part of your budget you want to devote to flowers. There are a few ways that you can start saving money on your flowers.
Bridal Bouquet- The size and the type of flowers will determine the cost of your bouquet. If you opt for a large cascading bouquet with roses or other high end flowers, you cab expect a large hunk of your floral budget just on this one item. Stick with a smaller rounder bouquet in flowers of your colors in less expensive flowers. Roses cost a fortune, so if you are not picky, opt for a less expensive flower.
Bridemaids Bouquets Instead of a full bouquet, have them carry an arm bouquet which would consist of several flowers, ribbons and filler. Or perhaps a wrist corsage rather than carrying flowers would wok just as well.
Centerpieces-Instead of floral centerpieces, think about using potted plants that can be decorated and given to guests or planted in your garden after the wedding
If you are using silk, watch for sales ! If you know the season that your event will be in plan ahead and buy them when they are on sale.
Use more greenery instead of flowers !
Make whatever you can and save $$$$$$$$$ ! I saved hundreds of dollars by making all the flowers for the bridal party, the centerpieces and display pieces. I used silk flowers that I got on sale and used coupons for ~
Use the Same Ideas For Fresh Or Silk Flowers
Borrow what you can ! You need something old anyway, so borrow a veil or anything that you may never use again. things like jewelry, cake stands, candle holders, vases decorations can all be repurposed and used over and over again
Save On Your Wedding Favors
Making your wedding favors is really the perfect way to save money and make something that your guests will enjoy. Think about plants, seeds or seedlings. Think about seasonal fruits, homemade jams, cookies and soaps that you can make. These personal touches will add a lot of joy to your wedding
Check Out The Dollar Store I found the vases the were my centerpieces for a dollar a piece. I also found my bubbles that I decorated for the event. Depending on your area, you can find all sorts of wedding dÃ©cor, favor ideas , and more that will save you a lot of money
Save Money On Your Wedding Venue !
The biggest tip to saving money at your reception is to have it any day but a Saturday. I know that people are traveling , but venues want to book on other days as well. So ask them what their rates are and then ask about another day other than a Saturday. see if there is a cost difference. Also think off peak season. That will save you a bunch of dollars.
Cut the guest list- If the price tag is getting too high, think about cutting the guest list. While this can cause a little family grief, it will save you money, since most venues charge by the head.
Save On Bar Service
One of the biggest costs of your wedding will be your liquor bill. I am big on having my guests pay for their drinks through the entire wedding reception, but there are ways to save on the costs of alcohol
1. Omit the pre reception open bar. Instead of open bar for an hour before the reception, while you are taking pictures ect,, have wine and beer available. Or have a custom cocktail served instead.
2. Limit your bar service to wine, beer and soda. That will save you lots of cash.
3. Serve only lower and middle priced liquors rather than top shelf liquor. If you offer your guests the top end that's what they will drink
4. Serve spiked punches instead of mixed drinks
5. Have your bar open for a specified amount of time. After that time guests will be responsible for the cost f any additional drinks
You can always opt not to have a champagne toast
Finally, if you are going to have a cash bar, advise the guests in advance
Make It Yourself And Save On Your Wedding
Save On Photographers
Another large cost in your wedding budget is the photography. It can cost thousands of dollars.The sky is the limit when it comes to photography and videos. Is this is important to you, then consider how much of your budget you want to spend on your wedding pictures. But if you are looking to save money on this item, here are a few suggestions.
- Book In Advance- Many photographers offer discounts if you book early. So as soon as you have your date and location, you will want to get busy deciding on the photographer for your event. If you get your contract asap, you may avoid the chance that he/she will raise their rates.
- Go To A Digital Package -Basically you are purchasing the rights to your photos. Often they are given to you on a disc. You have the right to print as many pictures as you want. You can send them online to family members. You can view them anytime you want ! Make sure in your contract that you own the copyright to your images.
- Book The Photographer For Less Time- We omitted the pre-ceremony pictures and had her do the pictures from the ceremony through the main events of the reception. Had great pictures and saved a god amount of our budget.
- Get Multiple Quotes- Look at more than one photography service and get quotes before signing a contract.
- Look For Custom Packages- They will often save you money. Then stick to the plan, Don't make emotional decisions
- Stay Local When You Can- Often photographers will add millage costs if they have to travel. If they don't show that cost, it will often be added to your final cost.
- If you are doing photographer prints, order the smaller prints to save costs. Avoid ordering the large wall prints. Instead order a group of smaller prints and create a collage.
- Ditch the fancy photographer albums. They can often run $500 or more. You can create your own wedding album at a much lower cost. Or have the photos created into a book online,
- Don't order a proof book. They can often cost $100 or more depending on how many pictures there are. You can generally review the pictures online.
Use Freebies Wherever You Can !
Beyond Pinterest, there are so many freebies to help you plan your wedding with veryt little muss or fuss. Why pay for something when you do not have to? Saving money where you can, enables you to use your budget for the fun stuff.
Free Wedding Resources And Information
- Zola Weddings
Free wedding planning guides, guest lists and more