- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Fun Wedding Shower Games!
Wedding Shower Games are a Fun Way to Celebrate.
Although wedding shower games have been around for many years they are certainly very popular at present. Games add a fun element to your wedding shower and these days can be Jack and Jill affairs with both male and female attending.
You may know a wedding shower by other names such as a kitchen tea for the female or stag party for the men. More and more these days the shower includes both boys and girls! Give your shower the fun, funny, enjoyable factor with some of these ideas.
Photo by Dreamzdesigner at Dreamstime.com
What's in a name: wedding shower, bridal shower, kitchen tea?
...and what kind of games are suitable.
Unlike the hen party which is attended by the female friends of the bride and the stag party is for the men the wedding shower can be for both. Then there's the kitchen tea or bridal shower which is a party for the ladies where games are played.
As attendees of the wedding shower are usually a mixed audience it is important not to offend or embarrass by having games that are raunchy. Keep those for parties of only one gender.
Use games as an icebreaker to get those who do not know one another feeling comfortable and part of the atmosphere of the party.
When choosing bridal or wedding shower games it is important to choose games that include everyone in the group and focus more on the fun element than individual talents. Games of chance and relationship-building are accepted better than games that require a particular skill.
Photo: Mensatic @ Morguefile.com
It's a Duel - Theme or no theme?
You can have a themed party such as toasting the couple by bringing a bottle of wine, an ice bucket, glasses etc - help them build their bar stock. Or a pamper party with guests bringing bubble bath, massage oils and so on.
Do you think the wedding shower should have a theme?
..to get people chatting and in the mood
* As guests arrive at the wedding shower pin the name of a famous person to their back. They must ask the other guests questions to get clues as to who they supposed to be. An added bit of fun would be to have names of famous couples. Once the guest has identified their own personality they must then find their partner - Sonny and Cher, Simon and Garfunkel, Posh and Becks.
* When guests arrive give them a name tag with their name and 10 tabs each partially cut for easy tearing. Tell them that they must not say the word 'bride' or 'groom' all evening. If they do a tab will be torn off. The one with the most tabs at the end of the evening is the winner and gets a small prize.
* Give guests a name badge with their name and a colored star or dot next to it. They must find other wedding shower guests with the same color and join up. This is their team for the first team event of the evening.
* Tape a card to each person's back and encourage him or her to work the room, mingle with everyone and particularly try to get to know someone they have never met before. Before moving on to someone else, be sure to make a comment about the person on the card on his or her back. Party goers write an impression of that person, such as "she seems sweet" or "he knows a lot about the weather". This icebreaker ends when the mingling session is over. The cards are then read one by one and people not only get to know each other better, but enjoy hearing all the comments people made about them. Try to ensure that comments are complimentary or somehow presented in a positive light. Hurtful comments, obviously, are not appropriate.
Photo Corel Art
Funny Wedding Shower Games
This first game is one that the girls organised for my own kitchen tea years ago. It had us all in fits of laughter.
1. The gifts were all kitchen items (being a kitchen tea). I had to feel the item and make comments on the feel of it before opening the gift. My comments were written down...hard, long...well you know the idea. After the gifts were all opened I had to read each comment and attach the sentence 'under the sheets'. This is what you are supposedly going to say on your first night. Gets a little saucy I can tell you!
This is one game that happened at a friend's kitchen tea party.
2. All the gifts were felt and then the bride had to guess at the contents. Each time the wrong answer was given she had to say 'moo, moo, I'm an old cow' and take a drink from a potty that contained a couple of sausages and orange juice. Yukk!
Another idea for a funny game I have seen at wedding showers:
3. This fun game can be for bride or groom. Put the intended on the spot about knowledge of their spouse-to-be. Prior to the party, have someone interviews either the bride or groom and tapes or videos the answers. Ask a series of 20 questions, such as where they were born, favorite food, when did you know that xxx was the one for you? etc. Then at the wedding shower, ask what the answers are to the same questions. See how much they can get right. Each time the answer is wrong they must chew a wad of gum...before you know it their mouth is full and talking is difficult. Play back the recording you made.
Photo from Dreamstime
Cast Your Vote
Video Bachelorette Activity Game
Here's a fun idea. This game might take the whole of the bachelorette party, but it's a fun one that involves all the guests, helps them get to know one another and provides video proof you all had a good time. You need video cameras for this game, so if the host only has one camera, be sure to ask guests to bring more video cameras. Make sure you also have enough blank tapes for this game.
Depending on the number of guests at the party, you'll divide the party into two or more groups. It's best to divide the group into teams small enough so that the whole team can get into one car. So you'll have maybe five women on each team. You'll give each team a video camera, blank videotapes and a list of "scavenger hunt" type activities they must perform and tape.
Some video scavenger hunt ideas include having a complete stranger sing the national anthem, having a member of the team sing "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer hot dog" in the meat section of the grocery store and taping a stranger who can do a good impersonation of John Wayne.
The teams should be given a specific amount of time in which to complete their assigned tasks and then return to the party location (ideally, a home, in this case). The videos are viewed and the teams vote on the team that did the best. Bonus points are given for the team that creates their own stunts.
Wedding Shower Games ~ Games Are Not Just For Kids!
Don't forget to have the camera ready and if the party is mixed company remember to keep it seemly.
- The wedding dress. Guests are divided into groups and given a roll of toilet paper. Each team must choose a bride and make a dress using only the toilet paper. Give the teams five minutes to come up with their creation. The bride will choose the winning team.
- Wedding night. The bride and groom arrive at the honeymoon destination but the power has gone off and they must get ready for dinner. Blind fold the pair and hand them a case with a selection of clothes. They must put the items on over their clothes. You can mix up the case with male and female clothing but make sure they are large enough to fit either the bride or groom.
- Word builder. Prepare game sheets with the bride and grooms names at the top. Ask the guests to make up words using the letters from their names. The person that makes the most words wins a prize.
- Observation. Have the bride leave the room and pass out pieces of paper. Ask everyone to write on the paper everything they can remember about the bride's outfit, hair, etc. How many rings is she wearing? What color is her blouse? Is she wearing open or closed toed shoes? Once everyone has recorded their observations, the bride comes back into the room and a prize is awarded to the person with the best observation skills.
- Name the item. Take a paper bag (a fabric bag is better) and fill the bag with typical "male items". The items might include a razor, a money clip, a tie, shoe polish, etc. Seal the bag, or fold it over really well. Then have each guest feel the bag and try to guess the contents. Have them write their guesses on a piece of paper. After everyone has had a chance to feel the bag, the contents are shown and the person with the most number of correct guesses gets the bag of male-oriented items.
Have Your Say
Which game do you like best?
A Game Especially for the Bachelorette Wedding Shower
One fun game that is sure to engender at least a few laughs is "name that item". Take a paper bag (a fabric bag is better if you have one) and fill the bag with typical "male items". The items might include a razor, a money clip, a tie, shoe polish, etc. Seal the bag, or fold it over really well. Then have each guest feel the bag and try to guess the contents. Have them write their guesses on a piece of paper. After everyone has had a chance to feel the bag, the contents are shown and the person with the most number of correct guesses gets the bag of male-oriented items.
More wedding shower games
Article: Wedding Shower Games
By Lyn Bell (an article written for EzineArticles in 2007)
Who said games are just for kids? Wedding shower games can make the wedding shower a fun and memorable event. Unlike the actual wedding, which tends to be a solemn affair, wedding showers are a place for the wedding party and friends to let their hair down and have some fun.
Wedding showers are fashionable at the moment, although they have been around for some time. They can be attended by both men and women, unlike the hen party which is the domain of the female friends of the bride and the stag party for the men. There is also the kitchen tea or bridal shower that is for the bride and her female friends. The kitchen tea is a party where games are played similar to the wedding shower.
If the attendees are a mixed audience it is important not to offend or embarrass with games that are a little risquÃ©. Games can be used as an ice breaker for those who do not know one another. If the people at the party know each other you can use games that are more personal and designed with them in mind.
It is usually up to the bridesmaid, maid of honor, best man or close friends and family to organize the wedding shower. Some of the things that need to be arranged are the choosing of any theme, organizing the food and drink, sending the invites and coming up with a selection of wedding shower games that are appropriate.
It is not always necessary to have games and in some cases may be best left out of the party. Watch the guests for their reaction and have an alternative plan in place if games are not going down well. Most people though, once they have got over their initial inhibitions, will be glad they joined in so be gently encouraging.
Finally, choose interactive games and make sure that the bride and groom remain the stars of the event - everyone should have the chance to socialize with them.
Toilet Paper Wedding Dresses
Fashion Competition: Paper Dresses!
- Paper Dresses | Television New Zealand |
Paper Dresses is a unique collaboration between KLEENEX COTTONELLE toilet paper, NZ Fashion Tech, and New Zealand Fashion Week that will see the work of emerging fashion designers foot it with some of our biggest fashion names on New Zealand's most g
Making wedding dresses of paper at the wedding shower is a popular activity. I personally have not been to a party where this takes place but it looks fun!
Have you ever been to a shower where you have to make a paper dress?
Party, Party, Party - ...serve drink but be a responsible host!
Please let me know that you dropped by...I appreciate you.