- Gender and Relationships»
- Weddings & Wedding Planning
Weddings In the Rain
Doable or Disaster?
No matter how romantic the phrase weddings in the rain sounds, the reality is something that no bride or groom wants to have to deal with. Of course, one solution to the problem is to just have everything indoors and forget about whatever the weather might do. However, there are plenty of people who choose to have one or both outdoors anyway. Which does mean being prepared for inclement weather. Luckily, there are things you can do about a rainy wedding day - including, most importantly, maintaining a good attitude, no matter what!
Image source: Flickr.
My Sister's Big Day
Didn't Start Out So Hot
It had been raining for days leading up to my sister's backyard wedding, so you can imagine we were a little worried. Especially when sprinkling the morning of the ceremony made decorating (with crepe streamers, especially) difficult.
We got lucky when the skies cleared in the afternoon, but we were still prepared for the worst. We had relatives visiting from Norway, a pig roasting in the smoker, and a rented tent; we weren't about to reschedule.
With a small guest list and a large house, we were ready to move the whole affair indoors, and just enjoy some close company for a while. Weather wasn't going to stop us! Others have just gone ahead and had the ceremony underneath umbrellas, and the tent was also nice and waterproof.
Is Your Back-Up Plan In Place?
If you're worried about wedding-day rain, and you don't have an indoor space for all of your guests, consider reserving a space to use in case of emergency. It might not be cheap, but it will put your mind at ease.
Wedding Photography in the Rain
A Special Concern
If you have a professional wedding photographer, he or she will know how to deal with taking rainy-day photos.
However, if you're going the DIY route, here is forum thread on protecting your camera during rainy weddings.
And here is an inspiring blog post that mentions taking wedding photos in the rain.
Umbrellas Are Very Photogenic - Just Make Sure They're Big Enough!
Image source: Flickr.
Weddings in the Rain - Things To Keep In Mind
- Prevention is better than cure. Some places are just more prone to rain than others. Research the weather in you desired wedding location before committing to being outdoors.
- You're in love, and you're marrying the person of your dreams. Nothing could possibly put a dent in that. Don't forget it!
- Actual rain isn't the only problem. Even if water isn't literally poring from the skies, you could have issues. High humidity can affect everything from the bridal hairdo to the wedding cake. Overcast skies can affect the lighting in the wedding pictures. Rain in the days leading up to the ceremony can cause soft ground and mud.
- Not all tents are created equal. You want to make sure that you get a tent that doesn't leak, if you're worried about rain. Also, if there is a chance of gusting, you'll need sides to protect your guests.
A Great Video of Rainy Wedding Imagery - It's Not All Bad
Does The Chance of Rain Make Outdoor Weddings All Wet? - Share Your Opinion!
Anyone can participate :)
Is fear of rain keeping you inside on your big day?
A Song Called Wedding Rain - The Perfect Rainy Wedding Mood
At Least It's Better Than a Dust Storm Wedding! - How Do You Prepare for That?
Or, just say hi :)