- Religion and Philosophy»
- The Role of Religion in History & Society
10 Tips for knowing if you are at peace with yourself
10 tips for knowing if you are at peace with yourself
In the Old Testament the word peace comes from the Hebrew word shalom and it is a condition of freedom from disturbance, whether outwardly as of a nation from war or enemies; or inwardly within the soul ( mind will emotions).we will be dealing with the latter which includes the mind will and emotions. A person can be very hard on themselves because when no one else is around a person must live with themselves. Negative self talk is very common when there is no peace and people who participate in this action many times will have a low self-esteem. The Bible says in Romans 12:18 if it be possible as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Many people spend 24 hours a day remaining at peace with people they come in contact with, but find themselves in a battle with themselves. They are not at peace with their weight, their looks, their personality and so on and this battle continues to destroy one’s self-esteem. I have listed 10 tips for a person to know if they are at peace with themselves.
· A person will not have peace with themselves if they have not made their peace with God. Romans 5:1 declares therefore being justified ( declared righteous) by faith we have peace with God. A person who has not made their peace with God by accepting Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior will not be at peace with themselves because Isaiah 26:3 declares thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusts in thee. This God-given peace will only come toward a believer who meditates on God and his word.
· An undisciplined person will not have peace with themselves because they refuse to put into action what they know is right for themselves. For example a person who is undisciplined in their eating are never at peace with themselves because of not including diet and exercise into their day. They end up complaining about their weight.
· A person who has no self- control will not be at peace with themselves because they are out of control. One of the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5:22-23 is temperance or self-control which enables a person to remain in control. For example many people allow their anger to control them instead of them controlling it.
· A person who refuses to finish anything may not be at peace with themselves because they may see themselves as failures. Jesus said to count up the cost to see if you have sufficient to finish.
· People who are not at peace with themselves do not believe in themselves. People who lack confidence refuse to believe that they can do anything, but the Bible says I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.
· People who are not at peace with themselves may find themselves always trying to please other people even at the expense of one’s misery. One should not allow others to dictate one’s happiness.
· People who are not at peace with themselves may find themselves socializing with other people who feel the same way about themselves because birds of a feather do flock together. People feel comfortable around others that are just like them.
· People who are not at peace with themselves worry about themselves. There is no peace where worry dwells so we are admonished in Matthew 6:25 to take no thought for your life( don’t worry about one’s life) what you shall eat, drink or put on. For your heavenly father knows that you have need of all of these things.
· People who are at peace with themselves are free from guilt and condemnation because Romans 8:1 declares there is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit.
· People who are not at peace with themselves may not have pleasant thoughts about themselves because the Bible says as a man thinks in his heart so is he.