10 reasons why man disobey God
There are reasons why man may go contrary to the will of God. Although, some people do not belief in the existence of God while others claim that God is dead yet the religious usually assume that all men sin against God when we fail to do his will. However, even those that strongly belief in God, wittingly or unwittingly, disobeys him. The writer had an opportunity to listen to a bible discussion in which the topic was disobedience and the bible verse of consideration was 1 Samuel 15: 1- 3, 12-29.
In the above verse, Saul disobeyed a clear instruction from God through Prophet Samuel. Other Christians and members of various religions, for one reason or another, do disobey God just like Saul did. The writer wants to point out and elaborate, briefly, on 10 reasons why Christians disobey God. The reasons are:
1) Fear: fear of the unknown is usually man’s greatest enemy. Man fails to try or to persist in his belief because of fear. In the bible verse above, Saul claimed he disobeyed God because he was afraid of the people. That is to say that Saul was afraid of the people instead of God. There are situations in which we disobey God just because we are afraid of what people may do or say. It can even be because of the fear of death. This is because only few religious men are steadfast unto death.
2) Impatient: many Christians disobey God because they are not patient enough to wait for God’s appointed time. This was the case in 1 Samuel 13: 7-10 when Saul offered the peace offering because Samuel did not come at the expected time. many of us loss hope and trust in God when we think that God has delayed even though we fail to remember that God’s time is different from our own time and that even though thing may not happen as we expect yet God is never late because he works in his own way.
3) Listening to others: just as Saul listened to the people so is it that we disobey God when we listen to the voice of man instead of the voice of God. People will always want us to do some things but it is left for us to know if their want are in line with God’s instructions.
4) Unbelief: Religious men and women disobey God when they no longer belief in God, for any reason. This can be as a result of doubt or frustration. In this group may be found the atheist however, some atheist still live rightly even when compared to some religious people. Therefore ignorance of God’s existence is not an excuse to do wrong. Little wonder the Argentinean Pope said, it does not matter if one is an atheist for as long as one does right. Yet some people condemned him for the comment.
5) The love of the company of man: in 1 Samuel 13, Saul decided to offer the peace offering because his people were scattered. That is to say, that he was abandoned. Therefore, there are times we disobey God just because we want the company of men instead of the company of God. It is not always easy for one to walk alone and avoid the crowd yet that is what it takes to stand out most time.
6) Covetousness: Envy can lead to disobedience especially when one is not content with what one has.
7) Anger: it is obvious that we can disobey God out of anger especially when we fail to control our anger.
8) Desire to hold on to power: the desire to hold onto power has lead men to disobey God. This can easily be justified by selfish politicians that sit tight in leadership.
9) Greed: This is can easily make one to disobey God for instance in Joshua 7: 20-21
10) Selfishness: this is by no means the least important but it can be said to be the nucleus of all disobedience. This is because it is difficult for us to love and consider others if we are selfish and it is written “love is the greatest of all commandments.” Therefore selfishness takes away other Godly virtues which include love and the ability for us to do unto other as we want for ourselves.
The above explains the challenges that anyone who wishes to obey God must have to overcome. That may explain why the religious need to pray without ceasing because the task is not easy.