8 Biblical Steps to take during a Crises
- Jesus said in the world you shall have tribulation but to be of good cheer because he had over come the world. Because we live in a world that's trouble waiting to happen,we will experience crises from time to time.Many people may react emotionally instead of being proactive by responding with good sense. The first thing that David and his men did when they returned from battle (1 Samuel 30) was to return home to Ziklag where they found a crises which consisted of their houses being burned with fire and there wives taken.What a terrible crises.
- David and his men wept until they had no more power to weep - David and his men were shocked and reacted accordingly because they began to weep until they had no more power to do so.This is a natural reaction for many people who grieve in this way, but men in general may feel the pain but refuse to cry because they may think that it is not the manly thing to do. From a biblical standpoint it is, because in John chapter 11 we find Jesus weeping at the tomb of Lazarus even though he knew he was going to raise him up.So weeping for Jesus was not a sign of hopelessness, but of his humanity because he was not only the son of God , but also the son of man. Also Ecclesiastes 3 declares to everything there is a season and time to every purpose under the heavens, a time to weep and a time to laugh.So we now see that David wept with hope while his men wept with hopelessness.Signs of grieving with hopelessness is anger and blame after the weeping is over. David's own men blamed him instead of the real enemy the Amalekites, and they spake of stoning him to death.Step number 2 is to stay in the word of God during a crises and weep with hope believing that God is with you and helping you through.
- Step number 3 is to recognize who the real enemy is behind a crises and not to blame God or people.Even though people may be the physical cause of a crises,our fight is not with people because Jesus said to love and pray for one's enemy (Matthew 5:41-) and because God is a God of justice a person will be tried by the laws of the land which are for the lawless according to the bible. The real enemy is a spiritual enemy called Lucifer or Satan because in Ephesians 6 we read for we wrestle not against flesh and blood (people) but against principalities,powers,the rulers of the darkness of this world , against spiritual wickedness in high places.The book of Genesis which is the book of beginnings where we find the law of first mention (everything mentioned in Genesis can be consistently found throughout the bible). We find because Adam did not take responsibility for his own actions (ate the forbidden fruit) he began blaming God and Eve because when called into question by God he replied, the woman you gave me caused me to eat the forbidden fruit.
- One must not retaliate when wronged because we find David being blamed and placed in a dangerous position of being stoned but he did not retaliate, but instead gave the problem to God. It is also important to note that God will many times use an enemy to help aid in our crises but if we are at odds with them through retaliation, we may hinder his plans. These same men that wanted to stone David, later sided with him again to pursue in getting their wives back. We also find this principle in Job 42 with Job when God did not turn Jobs captivity until he prayed for his friends. These friends had previously been enemies of Job accusing him of sin instead of helping him in his crises. Jesus did not retaliate against Judas who caused the crises in his life through betrayal, but he called him friend when he was really an enemy.
- One must keep themselves encouraged because discouragement is an all too real reality in a crises.There are times when no one may understand one's pain or have the right words to say during a crises and the victim is left alone to deal with the pain. During such times one must learn to do whatever it takes to encourage themselves in the Lord. It could be as simple as listening to encouraging music or taking a walk meditating on the word of God for example, but everyone should know how to encourage themselves when no one else is around or understands.This was another important step that David did, he encourage himself in the Lord his God.
- David called for the linen Ephod or Priestly garment. This garment was instituted by God in the book of Exodus for the priest to wear when entering the holy place in the tabernacle of Moses on behalf of atoning for the sins of the people as well as themselves.David was actually going to God on his behalf and on the behalf of his 400 men who wanted to stone him to death. This was showing his forgiveness for them and interceding that God would also forgive them. Notice this step could only be taken when he had done step 5 which was to encourage himself in the Lord. A discouraged person will find it hard to intercede for the one who caused the discouragement in the first place. So through Davids action of encouraging himself he now has joy. James 1 says to count it all joy when you fall into different test and trials knowing that the trying of your faith works patience. During a crises one must forgive according to Mark 11:26 which says to forgive so that our father in heaven can forgive our trespasses,for if we do not forgive he cannot forgive us. Remember to put on the priestly garment through forgiveness because we are kings and priest.
- Remember to acknowledge God - David comes before God and enquires an answer from him by asking shall he pursue to rescue his wives.From a natural standpoint this seems like an odd question because of course you would think a man should go after his family. But David was laying down an important principle found in Proverbs 3 which declares in all of our ways to acknowledge God and he will direct our paths. Pursing after anything without God only leads to frustration and disappointment.God's ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55) which means he is not in everything that may seem obvious to mankind. Acknowledging God to find out his what why when where who and how of the crises will guarantee success in the crises.
- After the victory in the crises always remember to give thanks to God!