17 Unique Ministry Ideas To Start in Your City and Town
Ministry is not just preaching a sermon from a pulpit or going on a mission trip to a foreign country, although these are very important. There are so many ways we can be a blessing and help others. In some churches, I have seen only the basic ministries like music ministry, evangelism team, children's ministry, youth and the preaching of the Word, Weekly bible study which is absolutely vital for the Christian Faith. But The church and church people are actually Jesus with skin on and can help to meet the areas of need in different types of people in our churches and our communities. No ministry is more important than another. Here are some important ways we can serve others.
1. Ministry to the Widows
James 1: 27- Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this - to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
If you are a widow or have a heart to help and take care of widows, there are a few things you can do:
- You can visit them, pray for them, talk with them
- You can have a group for widows to get together for meals, bible study, share stories, for companionship, encourage one another, pray for one another and state what present things they need and do activities together.
- Clean their yard, cook dinner, take him/her to lunch, etc
I have seen widows that feel neglected and very alone. Church should remember what the Word of God says about widows and do something to help them.
2. Ministering to Single Mom/Single Dads
This can include:
- Group for encouragement, support for Single Moms and Single Dads.
- Childcare for free if they are working full time.
- Cook meals, help clean their home if needed and if he/she can't afford to pay someone
- visiting the children without fathers and mothers in their lives
- Help with parenting
- Separate small Groups for divorced moms and divorced dads
3. Movie Ministry
This can be a great outreach for your community, neighborhood or church family. Choose movies on different topics - Salvation, Endtimes, Youth Issues, Marriage, Relationships, or just a family movie to get to know your neighbors. Discuss the movie afterwards and have a snacks and drinks. Whether it is a group of men, women, a family or teens, choose movies that would be the best fit for that evening. Pure Flix Entertainment is a great ministry that produces clean, wholesome, great movies.
4. Prayer Ministry
"My House shall be called a House of Prayer for all people." (Isaiah 56:17. Mt. 21:13)
I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men. For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.(I Timothy 2:1-2)
Prayer has been limited to one hour a week in churches. Based on the above scriptures, God wants a praying church. Churches should have different Prayer Groups that focus on praying for the country, government, schools, media, celebrities, youths, military, businesses, your city, state, church, churches in the area, missionaries, the persecuted, unreached in different countries,etc.
5. Food Pantry/ Clothing Ministry
For I was hungry and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and you clothed me. (Matt 25:35-36)
Ministry to help families or people in the congregation and those in the community who are unemployed, struggling financially, in need etc. Providing Food baskets, soup kitchen, food pantry once a week or twice monthly.
6. Meal Ministry
This will provide meals for families for pregnant women, the birth of a baby, death of a loved one, crisis situations, etc.
7. Ministry and Help for those in Debt, Unemployed, Financial Hardship-
- Financial peace University- Curriculum Courses from Dave Ramsey for groups - why save money, budgeting, secret ways to save, debt myths, Credit card lies and a lot more.
- Personal coach to review and discuss your financial position regarding income, present debt and monthly spending. If necessary, make changes to spending plan and cut some other things off to save money.
- Fund to Help Those with Financial Hardship- new couples struggling, large families
- If unemployed, help them look for jobs, polish up their resume
8. Ministry for the Sick
Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins they shall be forgiven him. (James 5:14-150
- Visiting the Sick church members at home- praying with them, reading scriptures, listening to them, comforting, encouraging them and seeing what other things they need.
- Visit those in the nursing Homes and in hospitals with the consent of the medical staff.
- Healing Prayer Team
9. Provide Classes for Moms Expecting a Child, classes on parenting, Foster Care, - a great need.
Parents are told to train their children in a godly way, but some parents do not know how or exactly what that means and have tried. Classes and teaching in this area would help a great deal.
Launch a Counseling Ministry
10. Home Fellowship Groups for Christians of different ages
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. (Acts 2:46-47)
This can include groups for different ages- teens, young adults, young men, young women, couples, new believers which incorporates bible study, prayer, communion and discussion.
11. Neighborhood Home Fellowship Parties
This can be a good source of evangelism and a great way to build relationships with those who you live among you, start good discussions and conversations about their lives and God and ask if you can pray for them for any urgent need in their lives.
12. Counseling Ministry & Support Groups
Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety. Proverbs 11:14
This can be:
Counseling couples, engaged couples, married couples
Counseling People to determine the direction of their lives
Grief Counseling & Crisis Counseling
13. Help for people with addictions- gambling, sex, drugs, alcohol, internet, food, shopping, money, etc
14. Ministry to Military Families, Military Wives and Single individuals in the Military
If you live in a city that has a lot of military families- Here are some ways to minister
- Dinner in the church or home to welcome new military families to the area/church
- Weekly Small Groups for Military Wives for fellowship, encouragement, support, prayer, etc
- Monthly Fun Activities
- Provide dinners during the holidays for military folks in the church and extend to the community as well.
15. Mentoring Groups
Older Women mentoring the young women (16 and up)
Older Spiritually Mature Men mentor the young men (16 and up)
Big Brother/Big Sister
Spiritually Mature College Students mentoring pre-teens and teens.
16. Teens Serving Others
Let no man despise your youth: but be an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in purity. (I Timothy 4:12)
Other than helping in the youth ministry at church, teens can be of great help to others.
- Teens using drama and music, skits in the nursing homes and children's hospital.
- Teens doing minimal chores for the elderly in church or keeping a senior citizen company, reading book, talking to them
17. Transportation Ministry
This will be provide transportation to those without vehicles, teens, kids whose parents do not come to church, senior citizens, to church services and church events and help those who need a ride to do errands weekly.
More Great Hubs
- 12 Important Questions for Anyone who is Dating, Eng...
If you are dating, engaged to someone in the military, here are some important questions to ask yourself and your partner so you can be better prepared for life's challenges.
- 20 Facts Every Christian Should Know about the Gospels of The Bible
The Gospels of the Bible are Matthew, Mark and Luke. Here are very important things every Christian need to know about the Gospels of the Bible.
- 20 Things Christians Should Know in the Old Testament in the Bible
How is your bible knowledge? Do we really know the Word of God? Here are some things every Christian should know and need to know about in the Old Testament of the Bible.
- 20 Things Christians should Know about the New Testament of the Bible
Here are some important things and facts in the Bible every Christian should know, need to know about and should be familiar with in the New Testament.
- 9 Modern Praise and Worship Songs to Get Through Hard, Challenging Times
This Hubs shows inspiring worship songs to point us to a Great God of hope for help during hard times, times of suffering, tough trials of our lives, times of despair, loss, hurt and sickness.
- 20 Quotes on Favor and Blessing from the Book of Proverbs
This hub deals with many wise sayings from the book of Proverbs about favor and blessing.