The Holy Spirit in the Old and New Testament of the Bible
The Holy Spirit is the third person in the Godhead (Trinity). The Holy Spirit was not only present in the New Testament during Jesus ministry and after He was risen, but also throughout the entire Bible among great men of God. Come on a journey to explore the many ways the Holy Spirit worked in the lives of ordinary people.
Holy Spirit in the Old Testament
1. Creation- In Genesis The Spirit of God moved upon the face of waters when the earth was without form or void. (Gen. 1:2)
2. Pharaoh recognizes that Joseph had the Spirit of God (Genesis 41:37)
3. Bezaleel- He is the son of Uri and the Lord spoke to Moses saying,
"I have filled Bezaleel with the Holy Spirit, to have the wisdom, understanding, knowledge to devise cunning works, to work in gold and in silver and in brass and in cutting of stones, to set them and in carving of wood." (Exodus 31:2-5)
TIME OF JUDGES
4. Othniel was Caleb’s younger brother- The Spirit of God came upon Othniel and He judged Israel, and went out to war with the king of Mesopotamia, but the Lord delivered the King into his hand.
5. Gideon- The Spirit of God came upon him and he blew a trumpet.
6. Samson- And the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon him, and he tore the young lion as he would have torn a kid, and did not have anything in his hand. (Judges 14:6)
And the Holy Spirit came upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon, and killed thirty men of them, and took their spoil, and gave change of garments unto them which expounded the riddle. (Judges 14:19)
Spirit of the Lord came upon Samson mightily and broke off the bands and cords upon his arms.
I &II Samuel
7. Saul- Samuel instructed Saul that when you comes in the city, he will meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with harp, tambourine, flute, and lyre and they will be prophesying. And the Spirit of the Lord will come upon you, and you shall prophesy with them and be turned into another man. (I Samuel 10:5-6)
8. David- when Samuel took oil and anointed David in the midst of his brothers, the Spirit of God came upon from that day forward. When he sinned with Bathsheba, in Psalm 51, he said, take not your holy spirit from me. In David’s last words in I Samuel 23- The Spirit of God also spoke through him to utter his last words.
KINGS I and II
9. Azariah- The Holy Spirit came upon him and spoke words of encouraging words to King Asa (II Chron. 15:1-7)
10. Jahaziel- Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jahaziel son of Zechariah, a Levite, in the midst of the assembly and he prophesied and said do not afraid or dismayed, for the battle is God’s and he also gave specific instructions to King Jehoshaphat of exact spot of where his enemies will be. (II Chron. 20)
11. Zechariah- son of Jehoida the priest. The Spirit of God came on him to deal with their sin of disobeying the commandments of God and forsaking God. (II Chron. 24:20)
12. The Holy Spirit has made me and the breath of the Almight has given life. (Job 33:4)
13. The Spirit of the Lord lifts up a standard against the enemy. (Isa. 59:19)
14. The anointing of the Holy Spirit binds up the brokenhearted, brings liberty to the captives and those who are bound. (Isa. 61:1)
15. When the people of God rebelled, they vexed the Holy Spirit (Is. 63:10)
16. Ezekiel- Here we see, in Ezekiel 2 that the Spirit of God came into Ezekiel and spoke to him about the House of Israel and instructions were given There are many instances where the Spirit of God took him up and lifted him up to see beyond the natural realm. – Ezekiel 37:1- in the valley of dry bones
17. Holy Spirit within us causes us to walk in and keep God’s Word and judgments.
18. Joel 2- stated that the God will pour His Spirit upon all people.
Holy Spirit in the Gospels
19. Spirit of God descending on Jesus like a dove and leading him in the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
20. And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about.
21. Holy Spirit reveals to Simeon that Jesus is the Christ and the Spirit led him into the temple and then he saw the child Jesus. (Luke 2:25-30)
22. Holy Spirit is upon Jesus to preach the gospel, heal the brokenhearted and free the captives.
Book of John
23. John sees the Holy Spirit descending on Him like a dove and remaining on him, and then Jesus is able to baptize with the Holy Ghost. (John 1:32-33)
24. Jesus spoke by the Holy Spirit saying, saying if you believe on me, out of his belly shall flow rivers od living water (John 7:38)
25. The Holy Spirit known as the Comforter and the Spirit of Truth (John 14:16, 17)
26. The Holy Spirit known as the Holy Ghost shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever things I have said unto you. (John 16:13)
Holy Spirit in The Book of Acts
27. After Jesus was taken, He through the Holy Spirit gave commandments to his chosen apostles. (Acts 1:2)
28. On the day of Pentecost, the saints of God in one accord, a sound of a mighty rushing wind from heaven and believers were filled with the Holy Ghost and began to speak with other tongues. (Act 2:1-2)
29. Peter and John prayed that the people of Samaria receive the Holy Ghost and they did.
30. Agabus led of the Spirit predicted famine throughout the world and it came to pass. (Acts 11:28)
31. Paul laid hands on the disciples at Ephesus to be filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. (Acts 19:1-6)
Holy Spirit in the Life of the Believer
32. The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. (Rom. 8:16)
33. The Holy Spirit helps us in our infirmities and directs us to pray when we do not know what to pray for, and makes intercession for us. (Rom. 8: 26)
34. The Holy Spirit gives the power to abound in hope. (Rom. 15:13)
35. Mighty signs and wonders can take place by the power of the Spirit of God. (Rom. 15:19)
36. Holy Spirit strengthens with might your inner man (Eph. 3:16)
37. The Holy Spirit reveals the things that are freely given to us of God. (I Corinthians 2:13)
38. Believers are the temple of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in them (I Corinthians 3:16)
39. There are gifts of the Holy Spirit- word of wisdom, word of knowledge, gift of faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, divers kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues. (I Cor. 12:4-11)
40. There are fruit of the Holy Spirit - love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance (Galatians 5:22,23)
- 21 Things Christians should Know about the New Testament
Here are some important things and facts in the Bible every Christian should know, need to know about and should be familiar with in the New Testament.
- 20 Angelic Visitations and Encounters in the Bible
Who are angels? The Bible is filled with many common people who had visitations and encounters from angels of the Lord. Why did they needed an angel at that time? Take a look.
- 10 Things to Learn about Leaders from the Old Testament
The Old Testament is a wonderful part of the Bible to study. It has many deep truths. Here are some great principles about leaders from the Old Testament.