8 Ways To Feel Great Instantly
We see a lot of buzz around the science of ‘being happy’. There are psychologists trying to find the secret key to happiness, meditation exponents teaching several different ways to maintain a steady state of the mind, and many wonderful books being written on the subject of ‘positivity’.
Yet, this state may elude the most positive-minded of people for small or large stretches of time- sometimes in a seemingly unreasonable manner. While it is really okay to feel this way sometimes, there are some really quick ways to improve our moods.
- Talk to someone: When you are feeling the blues, it almost always helps to talk to someone- even if it is not about what’s eating you at the moment. Just getting out there and being with someone- talking, laughing and being in a different environment can do a great deal to alleviate the pain. I
- Dress the part: Gretchen Rubin, in her book “The Happiness Project”, emphasis on the need to “act like you want to feel”. How you dress plays a very important role in how you feel. Putting on your favorite color or try some amazing ethnic wear to change your mood instantly.
- Listen to music. Music has the power to influence your mind. Researchers say that music is a hotline to our emotions.
- Spend time with kids or pets: Love never fails to heal. When its unconditional, it can seem like someone poured a magic potion for you. Science says that spending time with loving pets can make a big difference to our moods. As regards children, they are the only people who practice the art of forgiveness very deeply.
- Unplug: This might seem hard, but sometimes the only thing we might need is to put a little distance between ourselves and the issue at hand, sometimes giving us whole new perspectives.
- Go for a walk. Many geniuses have had their most important breakthroughs while taking long walks. Walking helps you get off your back, get some exercise while soaking in different scenes along the way. There are several attestations to the therapeutic effects of walking.
- Nap for a bit. I remember a day when I felt like someone had to drag me to event take a tiny step forward. I was exhausted from the moment I woke up and all morning and afternoon. And then, I decided to take a short 20-minute nap before I took up my next chore. Believe it or not, I felt so recharged and energetic that I found it hard to believe that I had only dozed off for 20 minutes. Not surprisingly, many others use this trick to be immensely productive.
- Hug someone. Touch can be a great healer. The deep nurturing nature of a tight hug releases happy hormones in the brain, making you feel instantly better.