Everything You Need to Know About a Cancer and Capricorn Love Match
The Crab and the Goat: A Bizarre Symbiotic Relationship
The crab and goat go well together as caretakers. Cancer has a natural inclination toward nurturing others — Capricorn, on the other hand, does everything they can to survive.
Here are a few places where the two signs have common ground:
- Both signs like and adhere to traditions, but they’re comfortable with changing things up and trying new things.
- Both blend well in social circles, but, for both people, there is always more than meets the eye.
- Cancer and Capricorn are both cardinal signs. They start seasons. Cancer starts summer, and Capricorn starts winter.
- Both people are family-oriented.
Cancer as the fourth house is seen as the mother of the zodiac. She carries the zodiac year to fruition allowing for the firstborn, Aries, to arrive and keep the cycle going indefinitely.
The cardinal water sign’s traits fit that of a young parent. Without these characteristics, we (humans) wouldn’t survive. Cancer sees the Zodiac as the pains of carrying a fetus to term, the pains of childbirth, and the miracle of life. For Cancer, Pisces is the scary bridge of going into labor and the chance to hold your newborn baby for the first time in your arms. It’s important to remember that so much of this cycle is imprinted into Cancer’s mind. This sign is highly connected to parenthood, sexuality, spirituality, and nature.
Cancer is willing to sacrifice his or her body for the greater good, and this marks them as a mature person. Their willingness to sacrifice themselves contrasts from the first three signs of the zodiac year: Aries, Taurus, and Gemini.
Capricorn is near the end of the cycle, and because of their efforts to survive, restore, and conserve — life survives for another season. Capricorn is the hermit, the wanderer, and the old captain. This is someone with a mature understanding of the world and universe around him. The cardinal earth sign is often described as the zodiac pertaining to retirement age.
The goat sees the world through the lens of winter. Unlike Cancer, who is touched by summer and life, Capricorn is eerily aware of death and takes it seriously, maybe too seriously. Capricorn hustles so they can ensure that the next generation has a fighting chance.
Capricorn and Cancer have their eyes on different worlds: it is a scary contrast that can push them away unless they are willing to learn about the other side of the coin. Cancer wants to nurture life and enjoy summer; Capricorn wants to provide for their family and survive winter. Both people are sacrificial in a sense.
These two understand critical points of the life cycle. Where Cancer sees new life and the trauma of bringing in new people through birth — Capricorn sees the trauma of reaching death and allowing life to release. Both of these signs have to focus on release as a part of their personal journeys.
Cancer has to release the life that she raises; otherwise, she burdens her new children by preventing them from having their own independence. Capricorn must release their tight grip on life and allow themselves to give into death.
Opposites Who Can Find Common Ground
Cancer and Capricorn are opposite of each other in the Zodiac cycle. In astrology, complete opposites have the same modality (in this case cardinal) and coordinating elements (water and earth). Both Cancer and Capricorn are considered yin signs, they’re more reflective, observant, and organizational than yang signs (fire and air).
Even though the signs are opposite of each other in astrology, they have a lot in common and can get on the same wavelength. They often approach things in different ways but end up with the same conclusions.
When Water Meets Earth
Cancer is the first water sign of the zodiac. They bring emotions into the world and the idea that things should flow, merge, and move into different states — ice, water, steam. Cancer teaches us to embrace our moods, seek relationships, and connect with nature. The sign is often compared to the Moon and the oceans.
Capricorn is the last earth sign. They bring to the table steadiness, conservation, financial savvy, and a strong work ethic. Water and earth signs naturally go together. Water nurtures earth to make the flowers grow, and earth gives water a purpose. They are both receptive, caring signs. They tend to move slower than fire and air, which move fast, often starting many projects but struggling to finish them.
- Water and earth signs are great managers. They have organizational strengths.
- You can lean on these two elements to take care of finances, children, households, chores, and the like.
What Makes Cancer Fall for Capricorn?
Cancer will fall for Capricorn because of their sensibilities. Cancer is searching for a steady partner that she can trust. The world always seems to move, to shake, and it can be scary for Cancer, even if she is used to change.
The water sign is in tune with how the tides constantly rise and fall as well as how the moon never looks the same from night to night. To Cancer, the barrage of requests never slows to a happy zero. Capricorn desires to create a rock for which his family can stand. Capricorns often want large families, and Cancer comes off as a great parent who could dedicate herself to children. (Both people excel at self-parenting themselves.)
In a nutshell: These two are both forward-thinking people. They care about future generations, and they want to make sure they meet their family’s needs. Cancer tends to be more liberal than Capricorn who can be quite conservative.
What Each Brings to the Table
The crab loves to change her mind. She is looking for someone who will merge their thoughts and emotions with her. She can morph herself in order to fit in with her social surroundings. This can be confusing for her; she might not feel like she really knows her identity. A fixed sign might find Cancer very dubious for this reason. Fixed signs have very sharp identities and presences — they can’t abandon nor hide their true self without it sticking out.
The goat is compassionate, level-headed, and serious. The earth sign has a long-term vision when it comes to his career and family. He is also someone that can accept and handle pain. The goat knows how to endure.
Cancer hates to endure, but they will do so if they love someone. The sign brings different gifts to the table than their water cousins: Cancer is flirtatious, nurturing, charming, and artistic. She isn’t sagacious like a Pisces or as complex, and she definitely isn’t as dark and temperamental as a Scorpio.
Capricorn will do every practical thing they can to protect Cancer. He is focused on the family, and she is everything to him. Capricorns can sometimes be too sarcastic and unaware of emotion, but they are extraordinarily disciplined when it comes to resources.
A Cancer can help soften a Capricorn, helping open up their more artistic and vulnerable sides. Capricorn wants someone with a certain amount of warmth, rebellion, beauty, and tradition. Capricorn is aware that he is looking for something almost impossible to define.
Ten Tips to Make This Relationship Work
1. Don’t let others try to define the relationship for you. You’ll carve out your own unique trajectory in life, and sometimes people are not going to get the two of you. Listen to your hearts and be a safe space for each other. Be intentional about the direction you choose as a couple: own your thoughts and feelings.
2. Allow Cancer to be a free spirit, allow Capricorn to manage assets. Always give Cancer room to give his or her opinion. This is just naturally what happens in this pairing. Obviously, if you have a Cancer with an accountant background, they’ll be better at spotting financial matters. Most Cancers need to be expressive, weird, and moody.
3. Hideaway and rest. As much as Cancer or Capricorn love family and the like — both signs will thrive when they allow themselves to recharge their batteries during quiet moments of reflection. They’re both introspective signs. Cancer needs a place for her moods. Capricorn is a natural hermit.
4. Capricorn needs to feel comfortable to let his sarcastic self out and should try to get Cancer to laugh. Be careful when Cancer is sensitive to pull back on the jokes. Cancer types tend to like words of affirmation, compliments, and your touch. Spend time with them, don’t leave them alone for too long. Cancer has high expectations for relationships and takes their time committing for this reason.
5. Cancer should allow herself to let her creativity out and be encouraged to do so. These two can really help the other to bring out more individuality and not just get lost in a relationship that turns pale from a lack of individuality.
6. Take turns focusing on emotional points and then switching gears and focusing on logical points. Here is what you should do: spend some nights playing puzzles, doing thought exercises, reading philosophy, and growing the mind; then focus on art, music, and things that make you cry. This coupling needs to exercise both emotional and logical methods to have a better grasp of both.
7. If you decide to have children, you’ll make excellent parents. Make sure to let your children have the reigns as they grow up and don’t be too overbearing.
8. Don’t be afraid to go to doctors, counselors, and the like when you have issues. You can rely on others for your problems. Cancer and Capricorn both tend to take too long to see a doctor or professional. They want to fix things themselves.
9. Humor will save you. Don’t get too serious. Lighten up — the both of you.
10. You two need to have fun exploring the world in your own unique ways. The fights can be bad, so make a conscious effort to be peacemakers. The crab’s claws hurt, but so do the goat’s hooves. Honor and respect each other. When the other one is upset, don’t try to mirror them with similar anger. Try to calm them down.
Cancer and Capricorn at a Quick Glance
June 21 to July 22
December 21 – January 20
Leader or Manager
Manager of Matters of the Heart
Manager of Physical Resources
Moody, introspective, charming, nurturing, kind.
Hard-working, recluse, family oriented, practical, logical.
© 2019 Andrea Lawrence