- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
American Christians With A Persecution Complex Delusion
Persecution Complex Delusion
Can someone please explain to me how Christian citizens of the United States of America are actually persecuted in a country where the approximate percent of Christians is 78%?
In a world where so many people have died because of their beliefs I am flabbergasted to hear American Christians claim such an atrocity as their own. Why would anyone believe that American Christians are persecuted? Before you hurry in to claim the mean atheist on the internet persecutes you, let me remind you of what you are free to do here in the USA without fear of dying or going to jail.
- Attend church whenever you like
- Pray whenever and where ever you so choose
- Wear a symbol of your belief visible to all others around your neck
- Read your bible whenever you choose
- Believe in whichever of the THOUSANDS of Gods you choose
So you are free to do all of this, but the second someone questions your beliefs or thinks they are silly, you are suddenly being persecuted? Oh my, and if someone questions the bible it's almost like killing you right? If you think like this you are absurd!
It seems American Christians have a serious persecution complex delusion. When a public figure criticizes the "Christian movement", or offers believers in other faiths an equal voice in our society, you can bet Christians will start howling. Claims of Christian persecution in America is almost comical when this country is where two-thirds of citizens claim to be Christians, where financial gifts to Christian churches are tax deductible, where Christian pastors can opt out of paying social security, and where no one is restricted from worshiping however, whenever, and wherever they wish.
What is NOT Persecution
Lets go over some basic concepts that either ignorance or delusion has made some people misunderstand or conveniently forget.
- Being told others are allowed to marry is NOT persecuting you! Actually it has zero impact on your religion or marriage unless you or your spouse happen to be gay!
- Being told that others are free to believe in whatever they want is NOT persecuting you! It simply means no one gets to think THEIR way is the only way. Don't be entitled. Believe what you want, but please stop acting like you are being persecuted simply because people get to believe in something other than what YOU do!
- People questioning your belief is NOT persecution! People are allowed to question things they don't understand.
- People disbelieving in what you believe in is NOT persecuting you! It actually has nothing to do with you at all. Think of all the things you DON'T believe in!
- Being told you are not allowed to tell other people what to do is NOT persecuting you! Again you get to believe whatever you want or do what you want, but no one is going to be ok with you dictating your beliefs to others.
Why are these such hard things to comprehend? You are free to believe what you want, but everyone else is NOT required to believe the same as you. Oh yeah and we are free to question your belief if we choose to, just as you are free to question why we don't believe the same as you! None of this is remotely close to persecution!!
Lets Answer The Questions That Were Presented By Lybrah
"Should a Christian always turn the other cheek when being persecuted for their beliefs?" Of course not! If your fellow Christians are being physically harmed or their constitutional rights taken away NONE of us should stand by and turn the other cheek! We should all stand together to stop ALL persecution, not just the persecution of people with similar beliefs. However in the USA we are all free to believe and question what we want.
"Is it wrong to defend your faith without being called a hypocrite?" This has nothing to do with persecution and merely a moment of realizing that grown ups are entitled to disagreeing!
"Should we allow people to ridicule our beliefs? Or spread crazy lies about Jesus being married to Mary Magdalene? Or condemning other Christians?" I should make sure that I note that the "we" in this quote is referring to Christians. Again though, this has nothing to do with persecution. People are free to ridicule your belief, just as you are free to ridicule atheists or any of the other thousands of religions! Crazy lies? Really? ALL RELIGIONS ARE OPEN TO INTERPRETATION BECAUSE RELIGION IS BASED ON FAITH NOT FACT!!! Condemn? Let's start with the basic definition of the word. Condemn - express complete disapproval of, typically in public. Wait isn't that what the extreme Christians do at my local festivals with their "God Hates Gays" signs? Of course people are free to condemn your beliefs. That is one of the joys of being an American. We are all free to disagree with whatever we want! Guess what? Dealing with it is part of being an adult.
Hundreds of thousands of people are murdered each year because of their beliefs. If you are offended because of someone on the internet disagreeing with you while people are dying in other places it shows your lack of maturity! If you truly believe someone on the internet disagreeing with you is the equivalent to what Christians in the Middle East are going through you are seriously delusional! Everyone please let go of your persecution complex and realize that you are free to believe what ever it is you want to believe in and I am free to disagree. This is the amazing part of being a USA citizen. We are free to believe and speak out all we want to! If you take that constitutional right away from me you take them away from yourself.
Lets all be adults and continue debate that is thought provoking and mature. I am reminded of the saying "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen!"
Is Disagreeing With You Persecution?
I guess it's obvious I am not a Christian. However my husband and EVERY person I know personally are Christians. I have no problem with Christians and I love many. I am for everyone being able to believe whatever they want!