What Does a Believer Have in Common with the Political Realm?
A Deist Got It Right!
Religion & Politics = Chlorine + Ammonia!
By the way, chlorine and ammonia do not mix and neither does a true believer and the politics of this age. John Lennon was quoted many years ago making a statement that insulted Christians when he said that the Beatles were more popular than God. There was an air of truth to that statement as we seem to be so easily caught up in the latest controversies whether be concerning national politics, world events or the new morality.
Sadly, it is when we as believers feel we must influence the political scene by being a righteous voting bloc and voting for the least worst of the candidates available for election; whether on the local or national levels. We actually think that we can make a difference when in reality, the person or persons elected or appointed is by the direction of a Sovereign God. Romans 13:1 - "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers (governments by permission). For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." From Pharaoh to Assyria as God's rod, to Babylon, the Greeks and the Romans where He seated Nero when the letter to the Romans was written; there has never been, is not nor will there ever be any government, which includes the coming kingdom of the Antichrist, that has not been ordained by God Almighty! As sad as it may be, when we look around and see the miserable state of affairs - this is God ordained for two main reasons. 1) - To awaken the Church from its doldrums of wanting everything to stay the same which happens to be in opposition to the will of our Lord (a dangerous place to be) and 2) - To separate the chaff from the wheat and to drive the wicked towards the coming day of judgment.
1 Timothy 2:1-2
Choose: Peace with God or Man?
Every which way I turn these days I hear that we as believers must pray for our country but I do not think many pray for that which God desires, but for our own selfish motives. Yes, we are to pray for those in power - but not for our whims and wishes but as verse 3 dictates, to be found "..good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;". Verses 2 & 3 have six words that we must understand in order to pray for those in power for the reasons Jesus desires of His Bride on how we must live with the powers He has ordained. The words are quiet, peaceable, godliness, honesty, good and acceptable:
- Quiet - eremos2263- the root word 2048 speaks of being lonesome in a desolate, wilderness where everything is tranquil and quiet. The absolute opposite of being occupied with the hustle and bustle of this world where everything is a distraction.
- Peaceable - hesuchios2272- literally meaning to keep one's seat, to remain still and undisturbed. Does this remind you of Exodus 14:13 "..stand still and see the salvation of the Lord..."? We are so busy at times we cannot see God at work in our lives let alone in the world around us.
- Godliness - eusebeia2150- literally to worship well, in other words a sense of living right before God in phases of life whether in the home, at work, within the community and especially within the fellowship of believers.
- Honesty - semnotes4587- Aristotle defined this word "as the average or the virtue that lies between two extremes". Quoting Zodiates - "it is the ability to perform well one's duties as a citizen, but in addition showing that the dignity is not from this earth but from heaven, thus drawing respect and reverence."
- Good - kalos2570- constitutionally good without necessarily being benevolent - it speaks of balance and harmony. Are we someone who knows how to balance that which our Lord has instructed us as how to live and our current situation this side of heaven. We are all too fickle and self-interested so much of the time that we do not stop to consider if we are truly honoring God with our actions.
- Acceptable - apodektos587 - speaks of a grateful Savior because we have been one who has lived in a quiet, peaceable, godly and honest manner and has demonstrated a "good" harmony of obedience to the Word and earthly citizenry.
We must remember that we are the bride of Christ and as 1 peter 3:4 admonishes the wife to be "meek and quiet2272", for such a one is of great price in the sight of god.
2nd Chronicles 7:14 - The Land of Israel Alone.
The Average American Church Goers.
Why Would God Want to Heal America, It is Not Our Land?
In churches and the social media all across America both Christians and the religious people / organizations are trying to invoke 2 Chronicles 7:14 "...If My people.." and I believe it is all vanity for the following reasons:
- We are not a Christian land, we have never been a Christian land, for the real makeup of this country, like a bad case of acne, has risen to the surface and is showing its true colors which have been here from the beginning. The desire for religious freedom drove many to this land in the beginning but the majority came seeking financial and physical freedom from the oppressive European governments; even then we had to fight a terrible war for this to become a reality. When it came time to form our own government, it was never unanimous but religious morality won the day. Again, all of this is due to the sovereign God we serve, and not because we were so deserving. He has always had a plan to restore His people, Israel to their land of the covenant as was His promise. As for America, we were destined to become a source for worldwide evangelism, bible translations (not the new versions but into foreign languages) and a instrument that would see God's people back into their promised land. Seventy years ago, Israel once again became its own sovereign country in the land promised to the seed of Abraham.
- As true believers we have no country (land) this side of heaven as it states in Hebrews 11:13-16 - "...confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth..declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for He hath prepared for them a city." Peter is very clear calling us sojourners in 1 Peter 1:17 and in chapter 2:9 we are called - a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people. The Greek word for peculiar is periopoiesis - a permanent possession. Our problem here in America is that we live as if this is the only place we have to look forward to, but in reality we should be living with our lamps trimmed and our bags packed, for this is not our home.
- On just the logical side of the argument, I believe there have been many more peoples of other lands that have been and are more faithful to the Word, more faithful in prayer and yet their lands have never been healed. What makes us think that we are extra special being that we are a Church that neglects the weightier aspects of the Word, has very little need for one another and to our shame does not testify to God's judgment on sin nor demonstrate His love for the sinner. The only land in all of history that has seen His hand of healing is the land of Israel and its people. Soon Israel will all be saved and the healing process will be complete forever. We live in an amazing time; why do we act like a ostrich with our heads stuck in the ground when it comes the Truth concerning His people and their land.
2 chronicles 7:14 is a promise to Israel and Israel alone - it is a promise that has no basis when dealing with the church. We need to pray for our country so that we can live quietly and peaceably in all godliness and honesty. This is what God wants from his bride. He has prepared for us a place and will come for us and take us to live there forever. Then and only then will we, the Church, have a permanent residence.
A Perfect Picture of Today's Choices.
And The Moral of the Story Is....
Ask yourself one question: have you ever voted in a major election and knew without a doubt that one of the candidates was truly a born again Christian who would only have God's will and purposes to would drive his or her policies while in office? Probably not and you never will, not in today's election circus.
We are faced with troubling times coming our way and the only way to choose for whom to vote is to seek that which will enable us to live more quietly and in greater peace. But remember this: God will place the person into power according to His will, to achieve His divine purposes in both judgment and the sanctification of His Church. May God bless you in these perilous last days.