- Religion and Philosophy»
- Paranormal Beliefs & Experiences
An Introduction to the Spirit World
My Spirit Guide's First Home
The Spirit World from a Medium’s Perspective
I’ve been a medium all my life, although I didn’t actually know I was a medium until I became a pagan at the age of 21. I didn’t have to go through the constant bombardment of spirit voices that most kids with psychic abilities suffer.
I had a spirit guide that blocked out the majority of the spirit voices I would have otherwise heard. As I grew in my pagan beliefs, my spirit guide taught me how to block out the voices on my own and how to focus in on one particular voice.
At the age of 36, I’ve become quite adept at talking to spirits, although I refuse to use my gift to make money. Somehow that just cheapens the gift.
Over the years, I’ve learned quite a bit about how to interact with spirits, and it is nothing like on TV. I admit I enjoy watching Ghost Adventures with Zack Bagans, but mainly for Zack Bagans.
The show is definitely entertaining, but dealing with a spirit in your own home is a bit different than investigating a haunted building.
Most “house spirits” don’t mind other people living in their former homes. The majority of them aren’t in that house because something bad happened to them; some of them just aren’t ready to leave. They may not know they are dead, or they just have an attachment to their former lives and they can’t let go.
House spirits can also be guardians for a particular area and happen to reside in a home located centrally in that area. Every house I’ve lived in has had at least one of these guardian house spirits. Our current home has at least three, but we’re also out in the middle of nowhere. Spirits love being out in the woods.
Spirits Love Nature
Spirits Need Energy
Spirits need energy to exist, which makes sense because their made up of energy. Most spirits are not psychic vampires, however.
A psychic vampire is a spirit or person who drains another spirit or person’s energy. Essentially, they “drink” all of your energy instead of your blood. Most spirits won’t take your energy without permission, unless it’s an extreme situation.
There are some rogue spirits who prefer to just take your energy, but these spirits can usually be felt by almost anyone the minute they enter a space.
It is possible to defend against these spirits and I’ll discuss that in another hub. But most spirits prefer a symbiotic exchange of energy and many will teach you how to do this, especially if you ask.
Some Spirits Are Teachers
The majority of the spirits you encounter will be spirits you were meant to encounter. In other words, these spirits have something to teach you, and are letting you know they are your spirit guide.
These tend to be the oldest spirits, and they are usually finished with their reincarnations (although some will choose to reincarnate just to do so). Thankfully, they are also the most patient (usually).
The teacher almost always chooses the student. Some of these teachers like to test their prospective students to assess their “readiness.”
Most people who encounter a spirit for the first time tend to be a bit dismayed and are unlikely to understand what it is the spirit is trying to tell them, let alone understand they’re being tested. In these cases, just ask and 9 times out of 10 the spirit will tell you what it wants.
Example of Spirit Communication
Once you pass the test, some spirit guides will get frustrated if you can’t keep up with their lessons. Most of the time, these guides will get so frustrated, they’ll leave only to come back and try again. It’s important to note that spirits will become extremely frustrated and angry if they feel you are not making an effort to learn what they are teaching.
All of my spirit guides have been with me my entire life (I have 6 although I knew of only the one until about 4 years ago). The lifelong guides tend to be the ones that make you find the answers to your questions about life. They won’t give you the answer, you have to earn it. This makes communication more challenging, but I’ve found it to be well worth the effort.
Some Spirits Are Friends
Some spirits, house spirits included, are there to be your friend. They are fantastic listeners and will happily listen to your internal dialogue and interject when it’s completely inappropriate (I’ve learned to just laugh at this when it happens). Others will share their own anecdote that pertains to your situation, or offer their own opinion.
Suggested Reading on the Spirit World
Still others are jokesters. This is the poltergeists category. Poltergeists are the dark side of the lighthearted prankster spirit. My spirit guide will move things on me, like the driver’s seat of my car, or my favorite pen. He thinks it’s hysterical.
However, I’ve heard stories of spirits that throw things and break favorite belongings. Although these spirits are not as prevalent as Hollywood makes them out to be, they do exist.
Things to Remember When Working with Spirits
There are a few things to keep in mind if you’re going to work with spirits (or even if you suspect a haunting). The following are a few suggestions:
- Remember, spirits used to be human (or animals) as well, so they still think like humans. Introduce yourself, and state your intentions. Let the spirit know you want to coexist with them, not kick them out of their space. The spirit may just need a favor or maybe it just wants to send a message to, or find someone. It may even just want to have an actual conversation again. Not all spirits have malevolent intentions.
- Banishing spirits doesn’t always work. One of two things usually happens. Either the spirit just stops trying to communicate, or the spirit becomes angry and retaliates. The best way to coax a spirit into leaving is by offering it an alternative. You can offer to have a medium help it cross over, or help it deliver a message, or even take it to a suitable location off your property.
- Spirits can’t hurt you unless you let them. Fear allows a spirit permission to do whatever it wants. It also makes the spirit stronger since it will feed off the energy created from your fear. Always try to remain calm when dealing with a spirit.
Power Stones Can Make Temporary Homes for Spirits
In Case of Haunting
If you suspect your home is haunted, there are a few things you should try before jumping to exorcism.
- If you’re buying a home and suspect it might be haunted, before you move in you should go to the home and introduce yourself. A house blessing is good way to do the introductions and it also conveys respect for the spirit. Once you’re in the home, don’t ignore the spirit. Try to communicate with it on a regular basis, even if you don’t get a response at first.
- If you’ve been dealing with a haunting for some time, you may still benefit from a house blessing and introduction. Make sure you speak in a calm and rational tone. Remember, they feed on fear and if they sense fear, they will lose all respect for you.
- While I don’t recommend or condone forcing a spirit out of the home, occasionally it needs to be done. Sometimes just asking the spirit to leave politely and explaining that it hasn’t crossed over can resolve the situation. Other times, you may need to ask more forcefully.
- There are magical ways of removing a spirit such as casting a banishing spell. One of the easiest ways I have found to remove a spirit is to use your power stone as a temporary “container” for the spirit. I typically set a bloodstone (my power stone) in the area in which the spirit most commonly appears. I ask the spirit to occupy the stone so that I can transport it to wherever it wants to go, or help it cross over. I leave the stone overnight and usually by the next day the stone is occupied and I can take it to its destination and release the spirit.
- Exorcism is a last resort in my book. But as a medium, I’ve never really had a problem helping a spirit leave or coexisting with one. Obviously not everyone has this gift and sometimes exorcisms are necessary. If this is the only option, I recommend seeking someone experienced in such rituals, preferably someone who can also speak to the spirit.This is not one of those do-it-yourself type things. Exorcism typically antagonizes spirits and only serves to infuriate them leading to more poltergeist-like activity.
In closing, I wanted to add a brief statement about spirit guides to this introduction to the spirit world. Spirit Guides are most commonly with you from the time you are born to the time you die.
There are some guides who show up during certain phases of your life and leave when they have taught you their lessons, but most spirit guides are lifelong teachers. They are constantly there and everyone has one.
Communicating with the guide isn’t always easy, but one way to attempt to make contact is to ask it to reveal itself (politely of course). The best time to do this is just before you fall asleep when your conscious mind relinquishes control and the psychic mind can be active. Then you have to be patient, and wait for your guide to make its presence known.
The next hub in this series will discuss in greater detail how to connect to your spirit guide and we will briefly discuss how to protect yourself from psychic attack. I say briefly because protection from psychic attack deserves a hub of its own!
© Copyright 2012 - 2015 by Melissa Flagg (Daughter of Maat) ALL RIGHTS RESERVED