- Religion and Philosophy»
- Atheism & Agnosticism
Arguments for Atheism
It astounds me that more people in the world aren’t atheist. I mean, I don’t know the exact statistics of atheists in the world, but I know that we’re definitely not the overwhelming majority. Instead, at least in the United States, the overwhelming majority of the population seems to be Christian. I simply can’t wrap my head around why.
I mean, yes, I get it. Your parents taught it to you from birth and that’s all you know of life, is the belief in heaven and hell and a superior being whom you dub God. And a lot of ‘Christians’ have their own brand of Christianity that they make up, in which they selectively choose passages/beliefs from the bible and ignore the ones they don’t like (although isn’t that really all that modern day Christians do anymore? I mean, no one goes around stoning their sons for being rebellious, or exiling couples who fornicate while a woman is on her period like it says to in Leviticus http://www.thinkatheist.com/forum/topics/bible-verses-that-rev-falwell). But aside from the ‘Christians’ who pick and choose what to believe (and you can’t really call yourself a Christian if you do this), let’s take a critical look at the teachings of the bible that you hold so near and dear to your heart.
As Urban Dictionary so aptly puts it:
The belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree…”
A support group for people who believe God manifested on Earth as a Jewish hippy some twenty centuries ago, then killed himself on a cross in order to spare his own creation from his own wrath…” http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?page=2&term=Christianity
And the list goes on. Do you see what I’m getting at here? If we look at the bible with even a semi-clear view, unobstructed by bias, years of indoctrination, or flat-out stupidity, we find that the mythological fairy tales which comprise the bible are absolutely ridiculous and even fundamentally flawed by contradictions within the books of the bible itself (Don’t believe me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3g6mXLEKk).
It astounds me that more people can’t look beyond their blind belief and thoroughly question for themselves whether the dogma they’ve been taught since early childhood has any basis in truth at all. And for those of you who believe (regardless of what else you choose to ignore) that ‘God’ created Earth to create the human race and that he loves us and that we’re the only sentient species in the universe…
1.) Look around. There are trillions upon trillions of stars in the universe, or, according to scientists, 300 sextillion—or 3 trillion times 100 billion http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/number-of-stars-in-universe_n_790563.html. It is simply self-centered, egotistical, maniacal, and downright stupid to believe that we are the only sentient life that has evolved on the trillions of planets with hospitable ecosystems.
2.) We have the fossils, we win. Those of you who believe the Earth is only four thousand years old or whatever it is you believe…yeah… We have fossils from millions, even billions of years ago http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110821205241.htm. I don’t know why you feel the need to blatantly ignore science—except for the purposes of preserving your imaginary friend and your established beliefs about him.
3.) As for the whole ‘God created you and he loves you’ part, if we ignore for a moment the fact that he doesn’t exist:
· If your ‘God’ loves you, why the hell would he create a sentient species only to allow them to destroy each other with nuclear weapons and pointless wars (most in his name, might I add) and never physically intervene to save a single human life?
· Why would a superior being feel such petty human emotions as jealousy and love? Why would your ‘God’ feel love for you, or jealousy for you holding other gods before him or for not believing in him? How could such a superior being be ruled by such petty emotions, and why would he take action upon them?
· Why would this superior being feel the need to examine the actions and thoughts of every single being he had created, judge these actions and thoughts, and then either punish the sentient beings or reward them based on the judgment of their actions? If your ‘God’ really loved you, there wouldn’t be a judgment or a punishment. There would only be a reward for being alive.
· Furthermore, I have a problem with the argument of free will. If ‘God’ gives us free will to make our own decisions, but he knows at the time of creating us what our decisions will be (he is timeless and all-knowing, remember?), then why would he create a fundamentally flawed individual (like say, I don’t know, me) who doesn’t believe in his existence, and then punish them (me) in hell forever for being exactly the way he knew all along that they (I) would be?
4.) If your ‘God’ is watching over you and loves you enough to listen to your prayers and remove blights from your life, then how does evil exist in the first place? If I was a superior being and I wanted to create a sentient species, and I was all-knowing and all-powerful, then I would create my species in an environment in which evil and hurt would never exist. Let’s examine Epicuris’s point of view in a famous quote.
· “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
I simply don’t understand how or why people will believe in God and Christian mythology without actually reading the bible first OR have read the bible and still believe in its dogma. Honestly, if you want to try to defend yourself, feel free to in the comments. Enlighten me as to the nature of your beliefs and the origins therein, because I simply don’t understand.