22 Atheist Moments
1. That moment when a Christian who can stomach the Old Testament genocides and the New Testament hell mourns for your hardness of heart.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins
2. That moment when a Christian asks where you get your morality from as if it’s a trump card.
3. That moment when a Christian says you were never a true Christian, and when pressed explains that one of the criteria for being a true Christian is never becoming an atheist.
4. That moment when a Christian accuses you of being closed-minded, after proudly proclaiming that nothing will change their own mind.
5. That moment when you have a tough moment in life and a Christian who is currently better off tells you it’s because (unlike them) you’re “in rebellion.”
6. That moment when a Christian mocks you for thinking you’re too “smart” to believe in God instead of actually responding to your arguments.
- Urban Dictionary: I'll Pray For You
"Usually used by Christians (although it can be used by any person of belief) when speaking to a person of another faith/person without faith. Essentially their way of talking down to others without swearing."
7. That moment when a Christian responds to a strong, rational argument you made against God by saying they feel sorrow for your soul and will pray for you.
8. That moment when someone who thinks they are one of God’s Chosen Children and you are an unsaved sinner accuses you of arrogance.
9. That moment when you’re accused of being intellectually dishonest for not thinking that the answer to the beginning of the universe is “God did it. Because magic.”
10. That moment when you see a Christian on the news praising God for saving them and/or their loved ones while there are people in the backdrop whose tears are dripping onto the concrete rubble their loved ones died under.
11. That moment when a Christian says, “But you have to look at the context…” before using another verse to ignore a verse you referenced, or to just dismiss the Bible passage altogether.
12. That moment when a Christian says that he can say you’re a dirty, rotten sinner because that’s what he is, too...or would be, if God didn’t save him.
13. That moment when a Christian tells you that you just haven’t experienced the RIGHT Christianity.
14. That moment when there’s a prayer in a group and a Christian peeks to see whether your head is bowed.
15. That moment when a Christian insinuates that problems with government would be solved if we were living in a theocracy.
16. That moment when a Christian uses the prophetic books of the Bible as foreign policy manuals.
17. That moment when a Christian recommends Lee Strobel, CS Lewis, or Tim Keller to you.
18. That moment when a Christian asks you to prove that God doesn’t exist and, when you explain that you can’t disprove a negative, thinks they’ve won the argument.
19. That moment when a Christian says the whole argument is pointless for the "atheistic worldview" because thought is pointless in said worldview, because our brains have chemicals.
“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” --Douglas Adams
20. That moment when a Christian says you must have become an atheist because you wanted to "sin" (according to the dictates of the Bible's horrendous moral code) and considers that a satisfactory rebuttal to your own explanation.
21. That moment when a Christian says that you shouldn't care about Christianity if you're really an atheist.
22. That moment when a Christian tells you that your life without God is empty and depressing, while not being too put out that their belief indicates that a large portion of the human population will spend eternity in hell.
Have additional moments? I'd love to hear about them! Please write them in the comments, if you don't mind.