- Religion and Philosophy»
- Eastern Religions & Beliefs
Bagawata Purana - Part XV
The manvantara in chart form.
Manvantara, the period of one Manu!
In the Bagawatha Purana, Parikshit was praying to sage Suka to let him know the various characteristics of Purana! Sage Suka explained a gist of everything. One such characteristic of Purana(epic) is Manvantara which details about the time scale of demi gods compared to that of human beings. I wanted to share this time scale with all since it is of great interest.
We are aware that our time scale: One year here on earth is 360 days of human life. But this one year in human scale is equivalent to one day in the life of Devas (demigods). 360 such days form one year for the demigods. This Kaliyuga is of the duration of 1000 such years in the scale of demigods. Dwapara Yuga, the previous one contain 2000 such years, the preceding one Treta Yuga contain 3000 such years of demigods. The first one Krita Yuga is of 4000 such years. Each yuga has a contact period of 200,400,600 and 800 years in the time scale of Devas. When we total up including the contact period it comes to 12000 years in the scale of demigods. Now we will try to convert them in human time scales.
1. Kali Yuga = 1000 years. In human time scale it is 1000x360=3,60,000 human years plus contact period 200x360=72000 human years, totaling upto 4,32,000 human years.
2. On the same analogy, Dwapara Yuga is 2000 years of demigods and hence it is twice the number of human years which equals to 2x432000=8,64,000 human years.
3. Treta yuga is thrice of Kaliyuga. Hence it is 3x432000=12,96,000 human years.
4. The first one Krita Yuga or Sathya Yuga is four times. It is 4x432000=17,28,000 human years.
All the yugas adds upto 43,20,000 years of human life which is known as one Mahayuga. One thousand such Mahayugas forms One Day for Brahma. Now we can calculate that one day of Brahma is 4320000000 years of human life. I do not know how to count this. Hence I leave it to the readers. Now one day of Brahma sees about 70 Manus lording over the Universe.
This is written mainly to intimate the years the enormity of timescale of Devas, Manus and Brahma. We are really insignificant when we delve on this time scale!