- Religion and Philosophy
The Holy Bible - The Perfect Gift That Keeps on Giving
The Bible - The Gift That Keeps on Giving
One of the best and most treasured gifts I have ever received was my grandmother's bible. Well-worn from being read so many times, I would picture my grandmother and grandfather sitting around the fireplace, reading scriptures from the Bible. I even found some amazing photographs still tucked between the pages.
A bible makes a great gift for the following occasions:
- Mother's Day.
- Fathers Day.
And remember, a Bible can be a gift to feast on, rather than a project to complete before judgement day.
Give With Joy
The earlier you begin shopping for Christmas and special occasions, the more you can enjoy the moment. You won't be so stressed about finding the right gift. I encourage you to really step back and try to be more joyful about your giving. We can either choose to let the gifts we purchase be an obligatory purchase or we can choose to give a gift with love and joy in our hearts.
It's our attitude about gift giving that really matters. There is a huge difference between buying a gift that you feel obligated to buy and cheerfully giving to another person.
It seems like the frustration of shopping, traffic, lines and mailings all add up to too much stress. Plan well enough in advance to really enjoy the experience.
Treasure The Wedding Day With The Holy Bible
Giving the Holy Bible as a gift to newlyweds can be a lovely reminder of one of the most exciting experiences of their lives. There was a time when bibles were used to record special events like births, deaths and weddings of the family. This is still a tradition that exists today.
Of course you want to make sure that the Holy Book would be appropriate as a gift. Not everyone would welcome the bible. So do some home work before making this decision.
Why The Bible Makes A Good Graduation Gift
New graduates are faced with challenges and uncertainty. When we give the Bible as a gift it shows our support and care for their future. The meat of this great book is the wisdom and guidance it brings to the reader. Better than any Self-Help book, all the answers that we need for living this life with joy are within it's pages. It is the ultimate instruction manual for a peaceful life.
Bibles come in all sizes and colors. My current bible was purchased at target. I chose a beautiful soft purple cover and the pages outline Christ's words in red. Bibles can also be found at the Goodwill store in like-new condition for a reasonable cost
Bibles Are Available in a Variety of Colors
What To Write In The Bible As A Gift
It's quite common, when writing an inscription, to find you're at a loss for words. Finding just the right thing to say can be the hardest part. An inscription gives the book more meaning especially when the book is a gift. Here are some examples:
- Begin with addressing the inscription first: " For my dear nephew Edward on your graduation from high school."
- You may want to use a special quote or write a motivational inscription. Even "congratulations" will do nicely.
- Whether you write a personal note or a prayer open your heart and be sincere.
- Write your message first on paper before you write in the bible. This way you avoid mistakes. Always use black or blue ink, never red, purple or other colors.
- You may choose to write a poem or a short verse taken from the Bible itself. Do be careful not to sound like you are preaching. People can get turned off by this.
- Make sure the inscription is something the recipient can relate to.
- Adding the date is a nice touch and helps the recipient remember the occasion the gift was given.
- Try to be brief. If you prefer you can have a custom inscription done. The most important thing to tell the recipient is that you love them. This will be the most lasting message of all.
The Bible, as a gift, will become a treasure to the graduate, to one day pass on to someone else.
Teaching Little Ones From The Bible
Jesus loved the little children. In the days of Jesus children were not recognized and were not important. But Jesus valued them and taught even His disciples to honor them. An example of this is clear in Mark 10 versus 13 through 16. The disciples didn't want the children to touch Jesus. But Jesus rebuked His disciples and allowed the little children to "come unto him."
Passages throughout the bible remind us to teach children to follow the teachings of Christ. Children's bibles are wonderful for helping them to understand bible stories and teachings. We can also read straight from the bible and paraphrase to help young ones understand what the scriptures mean.
The Birth Of Christ
Bible Facts You May Not Know
I came across some interesting, little-known, facts about the bible to share with you:
- Moses wrote the first five books of the bible. He contributed the most books to the old testament.
- The first English translation of the Bible was made by John Wycliff in 1382 AD.
- The Bible was first printed in 1454 AD by Johannes Gutenberg.
- The word "testament" means "covenant" or "contract:.
- The Bible is about 611,000 words long.
- The longest book of the Bible is Jeremiah.
- The shortest book of the Bible is 3 John.
- The Bible contains at least 185 songs.
- The book of James is the bossiest book in the Bible.
- The Bible is the best-selling book in history. About 50 Bibles are sold every minute. It's also the world's most shop lifted book.
Famous Quotes About The Bible
“Take all that you can of this book upon reason, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier man. (When a skeptic expressed surprise to see him reading a Bible)”― Abraham Lincoln
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS - "It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel His hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous inspiration from the Holy Scriptures".
“It ain’t the parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it’s the parts that I do understand.”― Mark Twain
“Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face.”― Ronald Reagan
Have you ever given the Bible as a gift?
© 2010 Audrey Hunt