- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Bye- bye, Bitterness
When things go wrong or someone causes so much hurt that the idea of showing forgiveness is far from our minds. So what do we, As Christians, do in these situations? Here are some thoughts:
- If you just can’t find it in your heart to forgive, ask God to put it in there. Pray something likes “God, I know that you are a forgiving God and that I need to be forgiving too. I’m having a hard time with this. Please work on me.”
- God isn’t out to cause people pain and suffering. That’s the devil’s work. Instead of getting mad at God, recognize who is really behind the evil in this world. (And remember what’s in the devil’s future- God’s got this).
- If you do find yourself mad at God, tell Him. He can handle it. Be real with him, and listen to what he has to say in your heart.
- Maybe think about the person who hurt you. Did they intend to do it? Are they dealing with some heavy issues you don’t know about that are affecting the way they act?
- Have you ever wronged someone before? It happens.
- Have you been forgiven by someone?
There are many more things we can think about and do to deal with bitterness... In it all, let’s always remember God’s supreme love and mercy toward us, and that it is only with His help that we can truly overcome bitterness and forgive.
Here are some Bible verse to remind and help us go through.
- "Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many" (Hebrews 12:14,15).
- "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you" (Ephesians 4:31,32).
- "When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly" (I Peter 2:23).
- "Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing..." (Luke 23:34).
- "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins" (Matthew 6:14,15).
- "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:14-21).
Please click thumbs up and leave your comment. It is highly appreciated. Thank you.
©Copyright 2013, All Rights Reserved by Dashingme