Are White People Israelites?
Disclaimer: This is not about the argument that Ashkenazi Jews are not legitimate, nor is this saying that there are no white people with Israelite ancestry. This is an argument against the claim that all whites alone are the 12 Tribes based on a few erroneous arguments. I said I would do this after exposing the Hebrew Israelites as both sides are wrong in their arguments. Also, note that there are major differences between most British Israelites and Christian Identity adherents. The latter is the American counterpart to an already established religion.
- Verses on Skin Color (Genesis 24 28-31, 1 Samuel 16 12, Song of Solomon 5 10, and Lamentations 4 7.)
- The Color of Christ (or God according to some) (Daniel 7 9, Daniel 10 6, and Revelations 1 14-15.
- A Great Nation (Isaiah 61 9)
- Herbert Armstrong
Verses on Skin Color
Laban, a rich herdsman of Mesopotamia, son of Bethuel, and grandson of Mahor, Abraham's brother (Genesis 24 28-31). In Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary, Laban means white, or in other translations, "to be white,". "See? His name means white, so he must be white." By that logic, anyone who is not named Laban must not be white. By that same logic, Eyphah, the name for the son of Midian and for one of Caleb's concubines, must be dark because the name means "darkness". However, that name can also mean "gloomy". What else can Laban be translated to? "shining; gentle; brittle." So their names alone do not automatically signify skin color.
And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the LORD said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.— 1 Samuel 16 12
Although ruddy means to show blood in the face in some cases, this is not a feature that is limited to only white people. This was used to describe a good looking person who seems to be in high health.
1. (n.) of a red color; red, or reddish; as, a ruddy sky; a ruddy flame.
2. (n.) of a lively flesh color, or the color of the human skin in high health; as, ruddy cheeks or lips.
3. (v. t.) To make ruddy.— Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
rud'-i ('adhmoni (1 Samuel 16:12; 1 Samuel 17:42 Genesis 25:25 the Revised Version margin), 'adhom (Songs 5:10); verbs 'adham (Lamentations 4:7), and eruthriao, "to blush" (Additions to Esther 15:5)): "Ruddy" is the form taken by the adjective "red" when used as a term of praise of the human skin, and this is its use in the Bible (the Hebrew and Greek words are all usual words for "red" or "to be red"). The dark-skinned Hebrews found great beauty in a clear complexion.— International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
Songs of Solomon 5 10
- "My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand."
We already covered the definition of ruddy, so we will address the part where it says the beloved is white. Again, you need some knowledge of Hebrew to combat this archaic English. Look this up in the Strong's Concordance. We get:
- 6703. tsach. dazzling, glowing, clear.
This is just saying that the lover is beautiful.
Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire:— Lamentations 4 7
Correct context is needed here. Let's read it from verse 1.
- 1 How is the gold become dim! how is the most fine gold changed! the stones of the sanctuary are poured out in the top of every street.
- 2 The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- 3 Even the sea monsters draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones: the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- — Lamentations 4 1-8
- 4 The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst: the young children ask bread, and no man breaketh it unto them.
- 5 They that did feed delicately are desolate in the streets: they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- 6 For the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the punishment of the sin of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands stayed on her.
- 7 Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk (not actually saying they are white this is symbolic), they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire:
- 8 Their visage is blacker than a coal; they are not known in the streets: their skin cleaveth to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a stick.
Something else is going on. Their skin is dry, struggled up, and dead from the destruction by the Babylonians. We can further prove it when it says, "they are not known in the streets: their skin cleaveth to their bones; it is withered, it is become like a stick." Verse 7 says they were white. Are we to assume that they were white and then became black? No. This is about purity and then their destruction.
The Color of Christ
They use Daniel 7 9, Daniel 10 6, and Revelation 1 14-15 to say Christ, God, or both are white because it says his head and hairs are white. But it says it is white like wool. What is the color of pure wool? White. Notice how 7 9 said it was like pure wool, then Revelations says "white like wool." Pure wool is not dark. It is white. This was regarding his hair color.
This is obviously a supernatural image, not some basic description of a man. How can I prove this? Read Revelations 1 16.
- "and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."
The word countenance means a person's face or facial expression. Where else do we see this happening? Matthew 17 1-2. says the Savior was, "transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light." So this is not even about his earthly skin color. This is about his heavenly image. It can also be taken as symbolic. Some scholars say that in ancient times, describing a body as being like brass gives the impression that this person has glory, strength, and stability.
"See? That is America and the European countries. These are the great nations he is talking about." Friends, read the whole chapter. Promises are here made to the Jews returned out of captivity, which extends to all those who, through grace, are delivered out of spiritual thralldom. They also don't take in context as to when this will happen. This is not saying that a sign of who the real 12 Tribes are that they would be a great nation in the end times. By that logic, China must be one of the 12 Tribes. Or what about Saudi Arabia? All great nations. But greatness does not mean you are one of the 12 Tribes.
"And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the Lord hath blessed"— Isaiah 61 9
Whites Spread the Gospel
White people are attributed with spreading Christianity around the world and this is one of the arguments used by British Israelists to say that they must be the chosen seed of Abraham. But if you do the research they have actually spread a lawless and immoral form of the scripture with which they debate among themselves what is true and what is not. Most of them are against any form of Protestantism and Catholicism, meaning that their logic is faulty.
Herbert W. Armstrong Arguments
I was a former fan of this man. I had downloaded several of his books on my device and I thought he was very wise and scriptural. But I figured out that he was a supporter of this ideology. I have found several flaws in his book "The United States and Britain in Prophecy,” some of which I have already refuted.
Prophecy of moving to England: Gen 49:22
- "Joseph is a fruitful bough by a well whose branches run over the wall" p46 "Over the wall is obvious proof that they would "run over, or past the nation's boundary - in other words, be a colonizing people!"
He takes this verse too literal. Using this logic, none of those branches could run to England. Only four verses later: "Up to the utmost bound of the everlasting hills" which taken so literally as Armstrong had in the last verse means that the land must have high mountains, which England lacks.
- "The scriptures plainly tell us that Israel was to lose its identity, its religion, its land, its name. In Deut 32:26, God wanted them through Moses: I said, I would scatter them into corners, I would make the remembrance of them to cease from among men." p69
He uses this to say that this is about whites losing their identity and forgetting that they were of the 12 Tribes. But this happened in Kings 17:22-24 when they settled and assimilated into Assyria. Armstrong also claims that the Throne of David was replanted in England via one of the daughters of Zedekiah (Jer 41:10; 43:6-8) To him, "a tender one" must mean female or daughter. "Certainly a tender young twig, then, represents a daughter" p88-89. This is a reference to the verse Ezekiel 17:22 according to him. But this is a reference to Isaiah 53 2, not replanting to England.
Please check out this source below for a more in-depth breakdown of these individuals. Anglo-Israelism Utterly Refuted
As I do some more research into their doctrines I will update this article. Peace and blessings, and all praises to the Most High.