50 Character Quotes from the Book of Psalms
We continue to build character as long as we live. The character principles in the Psalms will never be outdated. Based on these two facts below, it seems wise to revisit the character quotes in the Psalms as often as possible.
Here are 50 good-character quotes conveniently grouped under the headings of 6 godly traits which are all basic to the foundation of a godly character. They are copied from the New Living Translation . For maximum benefits, take the time to assess and apply them, even one a day.
1. It is better to be godly and have little
than to be evil and rich. (37:16)
2. I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked. (84:10)
3. People who boast of their wealth don’t understand;
they will die, just like animals. (49:20)
4. Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me. (103:2)
5. My suffering was good for me,
for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees. (119:71)
6. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. (139:14)
7. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever. (73:26)
8. The Lord is my light and my salvation—
so why should I be afraid? (27:1)
9. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you. (39:7)
10. The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need. (23:1)
11. It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in people. (118:8)
12. I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth! (121:1,2)
13. The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives. (37:23)
14. Trust in the Lord and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. (37:3)
15. Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry,
but those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing. (34:10)
16. Give your burdens to the Lord,
and he will take care of you.
He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. (55:22)
17. Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right,
speaking the truth from sincere hearts. . . will stand firm forever.
(15: 2, 5)
18. Keep your tongue from speaking evil
and your lips from telling lies! (34: 12,13)
19. Don’t make your living by extortion
or put your hope in stealing. (62:10)
20. If your wealth increases,
don’t make it the center of your life. (62:10)
21. The godly offer good counsel;
they teach right from wrong. (37:30)
22. Look at those who are honest and good,
for a wonderful future awaits those who love peace. (37:37)
23. I will lead a life of integrity
in my own home. (101:2)
24. I will refuse to look at
anything vile and vulgar. (101:3)
25. Good comes to those who lend money generously
and conduct their business fairly. (112:5 )
26. As I learn your [the Lord’s] righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should! (119:7)
27. Taste and see that the Lord is good.
Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! (34:8)
28. There is joy for those who deal justly with others
and always do what is right. (106:3)
29. Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord,
who have no confidence in the proud
or in those who worship idols. (40:4)
30. Yes, what joy for those
whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,
whose lives are lived in complete honesty! (32:2)
31. Light shines on the godly,
and joy on those whose hearts are right. (97:11)
32. How wonderful and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in harmony! (133:1)
33. God places the lonely in families;
he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy. (68:6)
34. Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces. (34:5)
35. Give us gladness in proportion to our former misery!
Replace the evil years with good. (90:15)
36. You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me!
I sing for joy because of what you have done. (92:4)
37. The godly always give generous loans to others,
and their children are a blessing. (37:26)
38. Those (may stand in God's presence) who refuse to gossip
or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. (15:1,3)
39. Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor!
The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble. (41:1)
40. The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
he is filled with kindness. (145:17)
41. They [the godly] share freely and give generously to those in need.
Their good deeds will be remembered forever. (112: 9)
42. The wicked borrow and never repay, but the godly are generous givers. (37:21)
43. Let the godly strike me! It will be a kindness! If they correct me, it is soothing medicine. Don’t let me refuse it. (141:5)
44. Good comes to those who lend money generously and conduct their business fairly. (112:5)
45) Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent (4:4).
46. I will reject perverse ideas
and stay away from every evil. (101:4)
47. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. (119: 11)
48. Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. (119:61)
49. I do not spend time with liars
or go along with hypocrites. (26:4)
50. I don’t concern myself with matters too great
or too awesome for me to grasp.
Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself . (131:1, 2)
One-Question Character Poll
Which of these character traits would you like to improve on?
© 2012 Dora Weithers