50 Good-Character Quotes from the Book of Psalms
Based on the two facts below, it seems wise to revisit the character quotes in the Psalms as often as possible.
Fact No. 1: We continue to build character as long as we live.
Fact No. 2: The character principles in the Psalms will never be outdated.
Here are 50 good-character quotes conveniently grouped under the headings of 6 godly traits which are all basic to the foundation of a godly character.
They are copied from the New Living Translation . For maximum benefits, take the time to assess and apply them, even one a day.
- It is better to be godly and have little
than to be evil and rich. (37:16)
- I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked. (84:10)
- People who boast of their wealth don’t understand;
they will die, just like animals. (49:20)
- Let all that I am praise the Lord;
may I never forget the good things he does for me. (103:2)
- My suffering was good for me,
for it taught me to pay attention to your decrees. (119:71)
- Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. (139:14)
- My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever. (73:26)
- The Lord is my light and my salvation—
so why should I be afraid? (27:1)
- And so, Lord, where do I put my hope?
My only hope is in you. (39:7)
- The Lord is my shepherd;
I have all that I need. (23:1)
- It is better to take refuge in the Lord
than to trust in people. (118:8)
- I look up to the mountains—
does my help come from there?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth! (121:1,2)
- The Lord directs the steps of the godly.
He delights in every detail of their lives. (37:23)
- Trust in the Lord and do good.
Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. (37:3)
- Even strong young lions sometimes go hungry,
but those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing. (34:10)
- Give your burdens to the Lord,
and he will take care of you.
He will not permit the godly to slip and fall. (55:22)
I will lead a life of integrity in my own home.— 101: 2
- Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right,
speaking the truth from sincere hearts. . . will stand firm forever. (15: 2, 5)
- Keep your tongue from speaking evil
and your lips from telling lies! (34: 12,13)
- Don’t make your living by extortion
or put your hope in stealing. (62:10)
- If your wealth increases,
don’t make it the center of your life. (62:10)
- The godly offer good counsel;
they teach right from wrong. (37:30)
- Look at those who are honest and good,
for a wonderful future awaits those who love peace. (37:37)
- I will lead a life of integrity
in my own home. (101:2)
- I will refuse to look at
anything vile and vulgar. (101:3)
- Good comes to those who lend money generously
and conduct their business fairly. (112:5 )
- As I learn your [the Lord’s] righteous regulations,
I will thank you by living as I should! (119:7)
Light shines on the godly,
and joy on those whose hearts are right.— 97:11
- Taste and see that the Lord is good.
Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! (34:8)
- There is joy for those who deal justly with others
and always do what is right. (106:3)
- Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord,
who have no confidence in the proud
or in those who worship idols. (40:4)
- Yes, what joy for those
whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,
whose lives are lived in complete honesty! (32:2)
- Light shines on the godly,
and joy on those whose hearts are right. (97:11)
- How wonderful and pleasant it is
when brothers live together in harmony! (133:1)
- God places the lonely in families;
he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy. (68:6)
- Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces. (34:5)
- Give us gladness in proportion to our former misery!
Replace the evil years with good. (90:15)
- You thrill me, Lord, with all you have done for me!
I sing for joy because of what you have done. (92:4)
- The godly always give generous loans to others,
and their children are a blessing. (37:26)
- Those (may stand in God's presence) who refuse to gossip
or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. (15:1,3)
- Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor!
The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble. (41:1)
- The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
he is filled with kindness. (145:17)
- They [the godly] share freely and give generously to those in need.
Their good deeds will be remembered forever. (112: 9)
- The wicked borrow and never repay, but the godly are generous givers. (37:21)
- Let the godly strike me! It will be a kindness! If they correct me, it is soothing medicine. Don’t let me refuse it. (141:5)
- Good comes to those who lend money generously and conduct their business fairly. (112:5)
One-Question Character Poll
Which of these character traits would you like to improve on?
- Don’t sin by letting anger control you.
Think about it overnight and remain silent (4:4).
- I will reject perverse ideas
and stay away from every evil. (101:4)
- I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you. (119: 11)
- Evil people try to drag me into sin,
but I am firmly anchored to your instructions. (119:61)
- I do not spend time with liars
or go along with hypocrites. (26:4)
- I don’t concern myself with matters too great
or too awesome for me to grasp.
Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself . (131:1, 2)
© 2012 Dora Isaac Weithers