- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Christians Conquering Fear
Faith Instead of Fear
Fear is a natural response to danger. But when it becomes irrational that it impedes your daily functioning, then you will need to take steps to move from fear to courage.
Moses had died, and Joshua his assistant, was about to assume leadership. Joshua knew that Moses was a great leader, and his shoes were difficult to fill. He also knew that leading the Israelites was a mammoth task. But God spoke these words to him:
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:9, NIV).
God is giving you the same encouragement today, just as he gave Joshua many, many years ago. He assuring you that he is with you no matter what the situation you are facing. He will give you the strength you need.
Won't you listen to your Father's voice? Then find courage and strength to move in God's purpose for your life. This hub will instil faith instead of fear!
Father's Love Letter: Find Deep Acceptance in God's Love
Focus Verse: "I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called--his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance" (Ephesians 1:18. NLT).
When you get a full grasp of the fact that you are accepted by God because of your position in Christ (Ephesians 1:6) and not based on your performance, then nothing can stop you from accepting yourself. Issues of low-self esteem will slowly disappear, and true acceptance, confidence and security, replaces them.
Understanding who you are a member of the body of Christ, serves to drive away any fear and inadequacy that would overtake you. Meditate on Paul's in his prayer asked God to open the eyes of his people so that they may understand the glorious inheritance and the riches to which they are called into (Ephesians 1:17- 23).
Prayer: "Father God, I thank you that I can overcome all fears because I am in Christ Jesus.I am accepted, significant and secure in him. I Jesus' Name I pray. Amen."
Renewing Your Mind
Greatest Fear Poll
What is the thing that you fear most? Fear of ...
Focus Verse: "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will" (Romans 12:2, NIV)
The things you tell yourself can have profound effect on how you feel. What is your self-talk about the situation you are facing right now? If you are telling yourself. "I can never achieve that, it's far to difficult for me." This could be indicating your fear of failure.
The question is, is there any thing that is too hard for God? Start renewing your mind with the Word of God. For example, the Scriptures says, you can do all things through Christ who strengthens you (Philippians 4:13). Spend some time meditating on this and other verses like it. Renew you mind, change your self-talk, and move from fear to faith.
Prayer: "Father God, I thank you for your Word that renews my mind. Today, I commit myself to meditate on your Word daily, and gain power over my fears. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen."
Bible Verses for When You Are Afraid
- "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline" (2 Timothy 1:7)
- "The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalm 27:1)
- "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise-- in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" (Psalm 56: 3-4).
- "Though you search for your enemies, you will not find them. Those who wage war against you will be as nothing at all" (Isaiah 42:12).
- ""Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood (Isaiah 54:4).
- "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love (1 John 4:18).
- "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27).
Comquering Fear Poll
What do you find MOST helpful for conquering your fear?
God Has Not Given You a Spirit of Fear
When you place your total trust in the Word of God, you can move forward in your purpose without fear. Things will continue to come in your path that have the potential to cause you to fear. But "God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control" (3 Timothy 1:7. ESV).
Take the decision to believe God's assurance, "Fear not" and remain in his watchful protection. Won't you move forward with full confidence that your heavenly Father watches over you, and there is no need to fear?
© 2014 Yvette Stupart