Colors used in Feng Shui
Significance of Colors in Feng Shui
Colors are an important aspect of feng shui. Colors used in feng shui can be grouped under Yin and Yang.
Yin is linked to the feminine energy and is connected with relaxation and healing. Yang is compared to the masculinity energy and is linked to strength and power.
Yin colors consist of black, pink, green, gray and blue. Yang colors red, white, yellow, gold/orange and purple.
Before you begin to use colors associated with feng shui in your home or office, you should know the following:
- To which element a color belongs to.
- The meaning of each element.
- The direction the colors can be used in.
How to Protect Yourself from Bad Neighbors
What's Your Favorite Color For A Bedroom?
Five Elements In Feng Shui
In feng shui there are five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal and water. Feng shui elements assist in balancing the energy in an environment.
Colors belonging to the five elements are:
- Wood: Green, Brown
- Fire: Red, Dark yellow, Orange, Purple, Pink.
- Earth: Light Yellow, Sandy/Earthy, Light Brown.
- Metal: White, Gray
- Water: Blue, Black
Meaning of Each Feng Shui Element
- Wood - The wood element symbolizes growth and health.
- Fire – The fire element stands for powerful energy and passion.
- Earth – The earth element is associated with peace and stability.
- Metal – The metal element is linked to intelligence and accuracy.
- Water – The water element is connected to abundance, relaxation and motivation.
Meaning of Colors In Feng Shui
- Green: tranquility, relaxation, nature, calmness, cleanliness.
- Brown: Comfortable, stable, trustworthy.
- Red: Power, strength, passion, excitement.
- Yellow: Warm, happiness, uplifting.
- Orange: Energetic, friendly, cheerful.
- Purple: Spiritual, righteous, prosperity.
- Pink: Calmness, love, romance.
- White: Purity, innocence, cleanliness.
- Gray: Dull, dreary, wearisome.
- Blue: Calming, soothing and relaxing.
- Black: Power, elegance, classiness.
The Feng Shui Baqua Map
The baqua map is a chart which is divided into nine parts. Each part displays an element, color and features a particular part of one’s life such as wealth, fame, health, family, etc.
The eight parts around the center represent the eight directions: north, northeast, northwest, east, west, south, southeast and southwest.
Each direction is linked to a color.
- North - Black, Blue
- Northeast - Beige
- Northwest – Gray, White
- East - Green, Brown
- West - Gray, White
- South - Red, Orange, Purple, Pink and Bright Yellow
- Southeast - Green
- Southwest -Yellow
Feng Shui Living Room Colors
Feng Shui Colors For Rooms in House
When using a color for rooms try to always use one which is compatible to its direction and element. By doing so you will be following the correct steps of color co-ordination used in feng shui.
Below are a few things to keep in mind when using colors in the bedroom, children’s study, dining room and bathroom.
Feng Shui Colors For Bedroom
Red is one of the strongest colors in feng shui which is associated with passion and stimulates emotions. Red represents the fire element. Some feng shui practitioners discourage the use of the color red in the bedroom. The reason given is the color can increase the levels of intimacy in the room thus preventing one of getting a good night sleep.
When using the color purple in the bedroom choose soft shades of purple like violet and lavender. These two colors are said to help create romance in the bedroom.
Pink is another color linked to romance which is commonly used in the bedroom.
A popular color used in feng shui for a child’s bedroom is yellow since it’s linked to health, happiness and comfort. Use the color if the child’s bedroom is situated in the East, Southeast, South or North direction.
Feng Shui Colors For Children’s Study
If a child’s study is located in the North, soft blue colors are recommended for the ceiling of a child’s study.
The color blue in feng shui is said to give out a pleasing atmosphere to the room which helps the child study well.
Feng Shui Colors For Dining Room
Red is not a proposed color for a dining room if one is concerned about their weight including that of the family's.
Red is believed to increase one’s appetite. This is one reason some Chinese restaurants are decorated in red.
Feng Shui Colors For Bathroom
The color green and blue are popular colors used in the bathroom since it symbolizes relaxation, cleanliness and purification.
© 2012 Suranee Perera