By Harold Markham
Duties of the Deacon
Deacons as servants of the church can find many practical areas of service that allow the Elders to shepherd their flock by ministering the Word and prayer. In a very real sense the Deacons become:
- Ministers and Managers of Mercy - To meet physical/economic needs inside and outside of the congregation; visiting the sick, the poor, the elderly, single-parent families and helping families in emergencies,benevolence ministries, and any other special needs as they arise. Since they are to possess a knowledge of the "mysteries" they can minister the Word in these special situations.
- Ministers and Managers of Resources - To keep all the properties of the congregation in good repair and to control their use; to manage all the resources and capabilities of the church in order to facilitate ministry better; the building and grounds of the Church, including janitorial, decorations, maintenance and upkeep, set-up, etc. This is stewardship in action.
- Ministers and Managers of Finances - To encourage and promote liberal giving by the congregation, and then to collect and distribute those financial gifts; stewardship education, envelope systems, counting, recording depositing and reporting funds; financial concerns of the Church such as budgets, spending guidelines, purchasing, etc.
- Ministers and Managers of Help - To accomplish the practical tasks and errands that are entailed in the on-going programs of the church. These duties are not necessarily performed by the deacons, but the deacons are responsible for oversight in their discharge.
The above are just starting points for Biblical Deacon ministry. Each church will present opportunities of it's own such as:
Those aspects behind the scenes that allow public services to run smoothly and effectively: Nursery, Usher, Greeters, Announcements, Parking Lot, Sound System
- Special Activities
Church-wide Activities, Special Events, Fellowships, etc.
- Special Days/Events
Anniversary Sunday, Conference Organizations, etc.
- Communion Services
- Service Projects & Community Ministry
There really is no end to the the ministry a deacon can have and one who serves well brings honor and glory to God.