Does God Hate Astrology?
"Magi" Means "Astrologers"
My brother-in-law, a fundamentalist Christian, told me astrology is against God. I replied, "Do you believe what it says in the Bible, that God created the sun, moon and stars?" (Genesis 1:1, 14-19)
He said yes.
I said, "Then either you believe He threw them all up there at random, or you believe that He arranged them in a certain order. I believe He arranged them in a certain order that has meaning, and astrology tries to understand and appreciate that order."
Just to clear the decks, these are facts:
- you can believe in both astrology and God
- astrology has nothing to do with witchcraft
- astrology is part observation, part science and math, and part art, with 4000 years of tradition behind it
- astrology is based on physics, mathematics, literature and optics. It is not "psychic" or "magic" and has nothing to do with clairvoyance or "vibes"; no one is born knowing astrology.
- astrology is not a religion. Astrologers do not "worship" astrology or try to "convert" people.
- Christians, Jews, Hindus, and atheists can all be astrologers or horoscope fans. The most famous astrology book in English was published in 1647 and is titled Christian Astrology.
- astrology does not "predict the future," or control your life. It lets you know the conditions under which you will exert your efforts, so you can think ahead and plan your actions and choices. The Bible is loaded with prophets and prophecies
- anyone who runs his or her life ENTIRELY on the basis of horoscopes has serious problems with adulthood and self-governance, just like people who run their lives ENTIRELY on any one thing such as Fox News, or drugs, or fantasy football, or fear of the devil
- astrologers don't necessarily believe all that is said about astrology
- if you believe the Bible is a hundred percent literal truth and therefore declares astrology worthless, you must also quit having a Christmas tree because the Bible decries the custom of decorating trees, along with astrology and idols, in Jeremiah 10:1-5
- the Dead Sea Scrolls, written by the earliest Christians, include books about astrology
- If you have faith that God is all-powerful, then astrology and astrologers cannot be threats to Him
- The "wise men" were astrologers, locating the baby Jesus by watching the sky and following a star. Matthew 2:1-12 says King Herod tried to make them reveal where Jesus was. The wise men saved Jesus's life by avoiding telling Herod what they knew. "Magi" is Greek for "astrologers." Do you think God hated the Magi?
- no astrologer will preach that you are wrong and will be punished if you don't believe. Only Christians and Muslims do that
- by the way, the Bible says to be quiet and mind your own business (1 Thessalonians 4:11)
- there is more scientific proof of the truth of astrology than there is scientific proof of the existence of angels
- it is no weirder to believe in astrology than it is to believe that a virgin had a baby
- astrology determines the annual date of the Christian holiday, Easter: the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Sun enters the sign of Aries
- only God knows what God really thinks.
My brother-in-law is very fortunate. He can get information about astrology from a real astrologer, not from people who falsely believe that astrology threatens their faith.
Sylvia Sky, experienced astrologer, reviews online horoscope and psychic sites for quality and accuracy. See her Horoscope Reviews at hubpages.com. Copyright 2010 by Sylvia Sky. Sylvia does not select or necessarily endorse the ads appearing on her pages.