Nightmares - How to Turn them around and Move into Your Destiny!
Treasures waiting to be discovered
I often get people asking me why I am so interested in dreams and I tell them that this wasn’t always the case. Like most people I have had many nonsense dreams throughout my life that I have simply discarded as my brain just processing what was currently going on in my life and would pay very little attention to them.
There were a few distinct ones I had as a child, but unfortunately these were often nightmares, so this, compounded with dreams that made no sense, brought me to the conclusion that there was no point in even contemplating that dreams could make a valuable difference in my life. If anything there would be times when I was afraid to go to sleep as these dreams seemed very realistic and were populated with all sorts of scary beings.
It wasn’t until I was in my 20s that I began to have dreams where not only did they make more sense, but many of them left me feeling exhilarated and excited upon awakening, which I believe was also connected to my state of mind and where my heart and spirit were at.
I have found in speaking with many people that those that have nightmares when they are younger are often the ones that get some amazing dreams as they mature and if they can get past the fears of their childhood memories connected with dreams then there are treasures simply waiting to be discovered as they learn how to interpret what their dreams are saying. I firmly believe that the nightmares are sent to develop an entrenched fear of dreams and can be part of what is blocking these folk from moving forward in their lives and into their destiny.
Children and Nightmares
This can be particularly true in our children’s lives. There are many children who receive dreams and 'see' spiritual beings in their rooms at night and this isn’t always necessarily in the form of a nightmare, but if they begin to associate their dreams with being frightened then in some cases they will begin to shut down that wonderful childhood capacity to imagine wonderful and amazing things. These dreams can simply be their intuitive abilities coming out within their dreams, but when they experience nightmares and scary ‘beings’ under the bed or in the wardrobe we can help them to understand they do not need to be afraid and give them some tools so they can then take authority over the negative dreams they are experiencing and can turn going to sleep and their dream life into something that is to be looked forward to, rather than feared.
Dreams do come from Different Sources:
- Self Dreams/Soul Dreams - Desires, things going on in our life, stress
- True Dreams – Spiritual Dreams, exhilarating, can be warning dreams too.
- Lying Dreams – False Dreams, negative influences.
It is important to determine where the nightmare is stemming from as this makes it easier to decide how to deal with it and banish it for good!
Some dreams are revealing fears that you may have buried that have become a problem in your life. Often when we are worried or stressed about something currently happening we will process it in our dreams.
The dreams that frighten or intimidate you can be trying to convince you into believing lies about yourself. These ones are common tactics from negative influences to ultimately prevent you from reaching your destiny.
You may receive a dream that is warning you to make some changes in your life, depending on the context. In one situation you receive a conviction to deal with whatever your current circumstances are and this is a positive warning, but if you are feeling fearful, powerless, and hopeless or condemned then this is a lying or false dream.
Steps to Help Deal with Nightmares
If you or someone you know are one of those people that were bombarded by nightmares or frightening recurring dreams as a child (and maybe you still are) there are some measures you can take to remove these ‘nasties’ from your life. It is time to begin to enjoy the hidden messages that can come in your dreams and these simple ideas will equip you so you can focus on the good rather than the bad, particularly when you wake up!
- This first one is fairly obvious, but it is worth taking into consideration what you are watching on T.V. and what you are reading. If you have a love of scary movies and horror – this will affect your spirit. Our children are bombarded with all sorts on T.V. and games and what may seem like a bit of fun to you especially as it is in cartoon form may actually be quite frightening to them and it can come out in their dreams.
- Was there a traumatic event that occurred in your life or your child’s life when the nightmares began? If so there may be some things that you need to work through to bring closure and peace into that situation and in some cases a good counselor can help with this.
- Before bed at night read something encouraging and uplifting. Relax. When choosing a book for your children remember even some of those fairy tales are pretty dark and can affect a little one.
- For me prayer has been an incredible tool – but can give my husband a bit of a fright when I am doing it at the top of my lungs in the wee hours (while I am sleeping) of the morning! We prayed with our children and encouraged them to pray too, teaching them to recognise the negative influences and to understand the power and authority that they have over them.
- Don’t brush off your child’s fears as simply ‘childish imaginings’. Sometimes children can be ‘conditioned’ into downplaying their imagination and this can prevent their creative flow. We want to encourage them as they explore the world, and equip them to deal with nightmares so they don't shut down as young adults or as they are launching into their futures. The ability to be able to dream without fear – both night time dreams and daydreaming can be the difference between an adult that is unfulfilled and an adult who is achieving their wildest desires and dreams!
- Talk with your children about what it is that they are seeing – either in their dreams or maybe what they are seeing under the bed and you may find your own ideas and beliefs beginning to expand as you learn together how to deal with these things. A bit of effort can transform your child and build a deeper relationship into the bargain.
A Time of Breakthrough is Just Ahead!
You don’t have to live with continual nightmares or see your children bound up with fear by what they are experiencing in their dreams!
You don’t have to just accept them as part of your normal life!
You can learn to turn those nightmares around and flip them to your advantage!
For me it has been a journey of knowing who and whose I am and when I have a nightmare that isn’t stress or self related I recognise that it is often before or during a time of breakthrough and this actually empowers me to dig in and actually move forward with an even greater sense of purpose and joy.
Hopefully these tips will help you and your children get to experience that sense of peace, well being and purpose and begin to look at your dreams from a fresh and encouraging perspective.
Revelations Dream School Manual
Revelations Dream School Manual - Learn how to unlock the mystery in your dreams.