Eggshell (Cascarilla) Magic Powder: For Luck & Protection.
Introduction & Preparations:
Welcome! Today I will demonstrate how I craft Eggshell Powder, also know as Cascarilla Powder. Before I start crafting, I like to set up a work space that I am comfortable in. Personally, I enjoy some soft tunes, a hot cup of tea, pleasant scents, and an aesthetically pleasing work area. Surround yourself with whatever brings you peace.
What you'll need:
- Eggshells - The shells I used came from a batch of hard boiled eggs that I'll eat throughout the week. Make sure you have peeled the membrane lining the shells. After peeling, set them out in the sun for about an hour to dry .I was recently given green and brown eggs from my father. They were laid by hens he raised. Since they were raised naturally, I prefer these over store bought eggs.
- Dried Basil - I grow and dry my own Basil. It is extremely easy to grow. However, store bought is perfectly fine, and might even mix better seeing as it comes in flakes.
- Sea Salt - Straight from my pantry!
- Mortar & Pestle - Unless you are like me and don't have one. I made do with a small rice bowl and the end of a wooden rolling pin. I've also read that using a Coffee Grinder works great if you don't want to put a lot of work into it.
Now that your eggshells are completely dried out, and you have gathered your ingredients, it's time to get started.
What to do:
- Place the Eggshells in your bowl. Do not add the Basil or Sea Salt at this time. Begin grinding the Eggshells for about 15 minutes, or until they are the consistency shown in the first photo on the right.
- Add the Basil. If you have trouble grinding the Basil with the Eggshells, rip the Basil leaves into smaller pieces with your fingers.
- Next, add the Sea Salt. Continue grinding all the ingredients until they become a powder. This will take some time, and might be tiring, but the longer you grind the better your results will be.
There are many uses for Cascarilla Powder. This one in particular can be used for cleansing areas of your household, or any other space/object needing purification. You can use it to dust corners of a room, line your windowsills, or even a threshold. You could even wear them on your person in a locket or sachet.
The Eggshells alone provide great protection, but what makes this mixture even more potent are the extras. Basil attracts good luck, as the the Sea Salt wards off the bad luck.
Many people like to use Cascarilla Powder for chalk and sigil writing, however I would not recommend this mixture for such a purpose due to it's consistency.
Thanks for reading!