- Religion and Philosophy
Eternal Question 05: What is the Soul?
As an Independent Research Scientist, I research the nature of the human condition and mankind's connection to Spirituality. I do so by research and first hand experimentation.
(Please read the Eternal Questions and their answers in order, as the answers build upon one another in an ordered and sequential format.)
- What is the Soul?
- Is the soul immortal?
- What is the difference between the Spirit and the Soul, or are they the same?
- What is the Salvation of the Soul?
- Can the Soul Die?
We hear the term "Soul" all the time time, but just what is the Soul? Is the Soul the Spirit? Many people speak of them interchangably as if they are. Is the Soul the Mind? Is the Soul part of the body?
Many common references to the soul suggest that the Soul is Immortal. The term the "Soul" is generally thought of in religious terms.
To find the answer we must look in the Word of God, the KJV. The Bible says that we have a Spirit, heart, Soul, Mind, and Body. (Verses)
Is the Soul Immortal? Many teachers teach of the Immortal Soul.
Many modern Preachers and Ministers define the soul in the words of Watchman Knee, a 1970's Christian writer. The Soul is the Mind, Will, and Emotions. Is this correct? On the surface this answer seems --- reasonable. So I looked up the writers words and made an interesting discovery...
This writer Watchman Knee spoke of The Mind, Will and Emotions - as component aspects of the Personality. So, here is the answer:
- The Soul is the Personality!
Then One can say that the Soul is the:
So when the Bible says "what does it profitteth a man to gain the whole world and loose his Soul", It means that you can loose your identity!
How is a Soul developed?
A Soul is transformed one decision at a time.
It might be said that we are the sum of our past decisions, as experiences.
What is Salvation really about? So the Salvation of the Soul - is the Salvation of the Identity. Salvation means you get to keep YOU! And keep being YOU for eternity. It is the Soul that is resurrected, the surviving overcoming Soul.
Is the Soul Eternal - Immortal? The answer is not necessarily.
Jesus Christ offers Salvation to Souls who are Overcomers. The Souls that fail to come to Jesus Christ are subject to the second Death - the real Death.
The Bible tells us that the Soul can die:
Fear not he who can kill the body, fear he can kill the soul and the body in hell.
1. (Mat 10:28 KJV) And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
2. (Jam 5:20 KJV) Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.
So the answer is: The Soul is potentially Immortal.
The Bible tells us:
- The Sword of truth is capable of separating the Spirit and the Soul
- (Heb 4:12 KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
So the the Spirit is Immortal, but the Soul (the Identity, the personality) is not necessarily Immortal.
So What is a man?
- A man is a living Soul
- (Gen 2:7 KJV) And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul
How long shall a man live?
- It is appointed unto each man to die
- (Heb 9:27 KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
A man is a living soul composed of: 1) body and mind, 2) soul, and 3) spirit.
And So, finally we see that the Soul is the Identity or the Personality!