Face Your Fear and Win - 21 Key Scriptures to Help You
The Nature of Fear
Fear is an unpleasant emotion, caused most often by the threat of danger, pain or harm. It can arouse feelings and responses such as terror, fright, horror, panic, agitation, dread, and deep distress.
Fear can have a crippling affect on people as it can paralyse, intimidate and cause you to shrink back. Fear can inhibit your personality and prevent giftedness from finding expression in your life.
Throughout the Bible God constantly exhorts his people to 'fear not' and to simply believe and trust Him.
How Can You Overcome Fear?
Everyone encounters fear at one time of another in their life, and the Bible has much to say about dealing with fear. Here's three simple keys to help you face your fear and win:-
1. Guard your thinking. You, and only you, are in charge of what you think about. Don't allow your mind to dwell on doubts, fears and worry. Rather, replace such thoughts, when they try to creep into your mind, with what God says. His promises are true and they never change. Turn God's words over and over again in your mind. Let them change your way of thinking from fear to faith. As you do this consistently, peace and confidence will replace fear.
2. Guard what you say. Instead of giving expression to every fear and anxiety that could possibly eventuate in any given situation, speak instead the truth of what God has said. His word never changes. He is greater than any fear that can come at you and He is well able to bring you through.
3. Simply believe and depend on God's promises to strengthen you and keep you. Challenge the fears on the inside and step out, whether you 'feel afraid' or not, and face the thing you are afraid of. Remember, 'greater is He that is in you' than the fears that are challenging you. Philippians 4:13 declares that you can do it through Christ who gives you strength.
21 Scriptures to Help You Face Fear and Win
* Joshua 1:9 - ... be strong and courageous! Don't be afraid or discouraged because the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.
* Psalm 46:2,7 - So we won't fear even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea...because the Lord of Heaven's Armies is here among us and He is our fortress.
* Proverbs 1:33 - Everyone who listens to me (Wisdom) will live in peace and be untroubled by fear of harm.
* Hebrews 13:6 - We can say with confidence, 'the Lord is my helper, so I won't fear. What can mere people do to me'.
* Psalm 34:4 - I prayed to the Lord and he answered me and freed me from all my fears.
* Deuteronomy 1:21 - Don't be afraid and don't be discouraged.
* Psalm 23:4 - Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I won't be afraid, for you are close beside me. You Lord protect and comfort me.
* Isaiah 41:10 - Don't be afraid, for I the Lord am with you. Don't be discouraged for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my strong and victorious hand.
* Matthew 10:31 - So don't be afraid; you are far more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
* Mark 5:36 - Jesus said ... 'Don't be afraid. Just have faith.'
* John 14:27 - Jesus said, 'I am leaving you with a gift - peace of mind and heart. The kind of peace that I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don't be troubled or afraid'.
* 2 Timothy 1:7 - God hasn't given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but one of power, of love and a sound and disciplined mind.
* Psalm 3:5,6 - I lay down and slept, yet I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me. I am not afraid of ten thousand enemies who surround me on every side.
* Isaiah 26:3,4 - You (the Lord) will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on You.. You can trust in the Lord always, for the Lord God is the eternal Rock.
* Isaiah 43:1-3 - Listen to the Lord who created you...the one who formed you says, 'Don't be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you won't be burned up; the flames won't consume you. For I am the Lord, your God and your Saviour'.
* Psalm 27:1 - The Lord is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid? The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so shy should I tremble?
* Psalm 33:18,19 - The Lord watches over those who fear him, those who rely on his unfailing love. He rescues them from death and keeps them alive in times of famine.
* Psalm 56:3,4 - When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what He has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere people do to me?
* Psalm 91:5-7 - Don't be afraid of the terrors of the night, or the arrow that flies in the daytime. Don't dread the disease that stalks in darkness, or the disaster that strikes at midday. Though a thousand people fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils won't touch you.
* Psalm 112:7,8 - (Those who trust the Lord)...don't fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. They are confident and fearless and can face their enemies triumphantly.
* Hebrews 13:5(b),6 - For God has said, 'I will never fail you. I will never abandon you'. So we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my helper, so I won't fear. What can mere people do to me?'
So, be strong and courageous and live every day of your life.