- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Forty: The Number of Probation (In Celebration of Having Completed My 4oth Hub!)
From Richmond, VA
Joined 2 weeks ago
I just completed my 40th hub. YEAH!
Forty is the number of probation. So, I guess my probationary period is over here on hubpages! Not only is forty the number of probation, it is also the number for testing and trials. Have I been tested during the writing of forty articles? Yes, indeed! But it was a good thing. Now that I have forty hubs under my belt, I am motivated to continue.
Fortunately for me, it did not take me long to complete the forty articles. It took only fourteen days because I set a goal to post no less than two hubs per day. Some days I surpassed that goal,.
We find the number 40 throughout the Bible. Here are some of the periods of forty days or forty years.
- It rained for 40 days and 40 nights during the flood after Noah built the ark.
- Sarah died when her son, Isaac was 40 years old. Then he married Rebekah and spent their wedding night in her bedroom.
- The twelve spies tested the land for 40 days.
- Moses killed an Egyptian when he was 40 years old. He fled to Midian to tend Jethro's sheep.
- God called Moses out of the burning bush when Moses was 80 after having been in Midian for 40 years. His probationary period was over.
- Moses fasted and was on Mount Sinai for 40 days receiving the Ten Commandsments from God.
- Moses returned to Mount Sinai for another 40 days to fast and get a new set of tablets from God after he threw down the first set and broke them on the ground.
- Moses died at the age of 120. His life was divided into three periods of 40 years each.
- The exodus in the wilderness took 40 years. Ideally, it should have taken only 11 days.
- The first king of Israel was on the throne for 40 years. During his probabtionary period, Saul proved to God that he was unworthy to have his descendents on the throne.
- God told Ezekiel to lie on his side 40 days to symbolize the punishment for Judah.
- Elijah fasted for 40 days while he was hiding from Jezebel.
- Forty centuries after Adam, Jesus came in the fullness of time.
- Jesus fasted 40 days before starting His ministry.
- After Jesus' resurrection, He walked the face of the earth before ascending to His Father.
- Forty days after Jesus' crucifixion, Jerusalem was destroyed.