Fun and Interesting Facts About Christianity
This is the second of series of articles, intended to introduce people to a few facts about each of the world's most popular religions and philosophies. I believe that everyone should have a basic knowledge of each religion in order to understand the views of people of other religious backgrounds.
Christianity is the world's largest and most popular religion, and is based upon the stories in the Bible , which happens to be the world's number one bestselling book of all time. Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God, born of the virgin Mary. Jesus taught people many things and preformed many miracles before he was crucified to pay for the sins of humanity. After three days in the tomb, Jesus rose from the dead, and forty days later ascended to heaven, where he watches over humanity with God the Father.
Here are some fun facts about Christianity:
- There are 66 books in the Bible, 39 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New Testament.
- Christians' two most observed holidays are Easter (celebrating the resurrection of Christ) and Christmas (celebrating the birth of Christ).
- There are thousands different sects of Christianity, each claiming different interpretations of certain portions of biblical text.
- In the Bible , there are around one hundred different names used for God.
- The Bible has been translated into 1,200 different languages, including Klingon, for the Star Trek enthusiasts.
- Many Christians will be baptised, a sacrament that involves application of water to the head, or full body submersion. This symbolically represents the washing away of sins, and a rite of acceptance into the Christian faith.
- Communion, or Eucharist, is a Christian sacrament that involves consuming bread, or a wafer and wine, or grape juice. These symbolize the body and blood of Christ and the story of the Last Supper, where Jesus broke bread with his apostles, before he was taken to be crucified.
- Christians believe in one God, but that God exists in three forms, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- Because the Bible is the world's number one bestseller, it is also the most shoplifted book in the world.
- The two most important commandments that Jesus taught are to love God with all your heart, mind and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself.