Good Qualities of God's Servant David- A Study of 1 Chronicles
- David knew God's purpose for him. 1 Chronicles-14:2 - 'And David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and that his kingdom had been highly exalted for the sake of his people Israel.'
- David inquired of the LORD in almost everything and he did as God commanded him.(1 Chronicles-13:3, 14:10,14)
- David considered himself God's servant always even after becoming a king (1 Chronicles-17:17,18,23,24,25,26,27). This shows that he was always humble before God, despite becoming great in strength, wealth and stature. This can be well contrasted with Saul's life and the life of Jeroboam, a later king after Solomon, who knew that it was through God's command that he became king(1 Kings-11:30) and yet considered himself more intelligent than God himself when he asked his wife to disguise herself and go to prophet Ahijah(1Kings-14:2).
- David's response to prophecies. 1 Chronicles-17:16 'Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said:“Who am I, LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"'
- David did as God commanded him(1 Chronicles-14:16, 1 Kings-11:38). He did what was right in God's sight(with an exception).
- David's fame spread throughout every land(1 Chronicles-14:17).
- The LORD made all the nations fear him(1 Chronicles-14:17).
- God had been with David wherever he went(As quoted from God's word to David through Nathan in 1 Chronicles-17:8).
- God cut off all of David's enemies from before him( 1 Chronicles 17:8).
- God's promise that He will also subdue all his enemies(1Chronicles-17:8)
What can we conclude?
In the New Testament times when God is 'our Father', if we believe in Jesus and walk faithfully with Him, if we are humble unto God and men, obey him and consistently do what is right in his sight then we will have better results than David had. Why better? We will have better results because now God lives in His people 'all the time'. (Romans 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 2 Corinthians 5:21 “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” 'The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and make you remember all that I have told you.'(John 14:26)“I am telling you the truth,” replied Jesus, “that no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and the Spirit. A person is born physically of human parents, but is born spiritually of the Spirit. (John 3:5-6)). So now in Jesus, we are entitled to much better blessings!
© 2019 Lincy Francis