How to Loose the Battle but Win the War
How to lose your battles and win the war
Galileo the great scientist said: You cannot teach a man anything you can only help him to find it within himself. Therefore this is the intent of this article.
I like Socrates can only say of myself. One thing I know and that is that I know nothing.
Have you ever find yourself coming across an individual who no matter what you try to say or discuss he always find something to contradict or to show you how wrong you are.
If you find yourself to be that type of person you may want to consider your actions. You see sometimes your argumentative temperament stand in the way of your advancement, career and otherwise. Just take a trip down memory lane at the many arguments you have had with individuals who were of importance to your upward mobility. Did the arguments advance you, or did they rankle people’s feelings so that they try to avoid an argument with you as best as possible.
Operating in the real world is very different from the academic and scholastic world. If you enjoy that world then become a teacher or professor in one of those institutions.
The only way to get the Best of an Argument is to avoid but at times it is not an available option
Here are some things that may help you.
1. If you argue and rankle and contradict you may achieve victory sometimes but it will be an empty victory because you never get your opponents good will.(Ben Franklin) So think about it ,which would you rather have academic theatrical victory or a person’s good will?
2. Here lies the body of William Jay who died maintaining his right of way. He was right as he sped along but is just as dead as if he was wrong (Boston transcript)
3. Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love and misunderstanding is never ended by an argument
But by tact, diplomacy, conciliation and sympathetic desire to see the other persons’ point of view.(Buddha)
4. No young man who is resolved to make the most of himself can spare time for personal contention (Lincoln)
5. Welcome the disagreement-Remember the slogan. When two partners agree one of them is not necessary. Perhaps this disagreement is your opportunity to be corrected before you make a serious mistake.
6. Control your temper. You can measure the size of a person by what makes him angry.
7. Listen first, give your opponent a chance to talk. Let them finish. Do not resist, defend or debate. This only raises barriers .Try to build a bridge of understanding not higher bridges of misunderstanding.
8. When on yells the other listens, when two yell there is no communication just noise vibrations
9. If you can be sure you are right 55% of the time you can go down Wall Street and make a million daily . If you cannot be sure you are right 55%of the time why should you tell others they are wrong
You do not have to say you are wrong in words, You can tell people they are wrong with an intonation look or a gesture just as eloquently as you can use words. This will make them feel you have insulted his ego and self respect .That will make them want to strike back. If you hurt feelings you cannot alter opinion.
!0. If you begin by saying “I am going to prove something to you, that is bad. It is like saying I am smarter than you. That is a challenge and will raise resentment and opposition.
11. Distrust your first instinctive impression. Our first natural reaction in a disagreeable situation is to be defensive. Be careful, keep calm and watch out for your first reaction if maybe at your worst.
12. Promise to think over your opponent’s ideas and study them carefully and mean it .Your opponent may be right.
This is not Bible and I vow to make this a project on myself also less in looking at other I may become a outcast for the same weakness stated above.
What You Opinion
Do you think many men would like to opt out of a wedding at the alter
- 7 Behaviors to Cultivate in Your Relationship After ...
It may not be too late to save your relationship after cheating. As painful as this type of situation can be, there are things that you can do to fix it. For one thing, you and your spouse can commit to making certain behavioral changes, which will..
- How To Resolve Conflict
Conflict is a disagreement that occurs when individuals or groups differ in opinions, beliefs and values as well as ways and means of doing things in an organization. Management has to be alert to the group dynamics and the potential of conflict to..
- Conflict Resolution Strategies - -Skills For Managin...
This is an explanation of what conflict is and how to manage conflict in healthy ways including how to communicate in conflict situations.