- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Jeremiah 17:9 tells us, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" In and of ourselves we do not possess the ability to search our own hearts. Our hearts will deceive us at every turn if we face life on our own. On the other hand, the Psalmist says in Psalm 139:23, "Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts." If we allow God to search our hearts, He will reveal to us who we really are. That can be a little scary, but yet it is necessary for us to be completely right with Him.
Several years ago a local evangelist gave me a list of 125 questions to aid in allowing God to search my heart and to prepare myself for revival in my life. It is my prayer that you too will desire God to thoroughly work in your life. If that is your desire, seriously meditate on these questions and let God show you where you are. This will no doubt take time and effort on your part, but I believe it will be well worth it. Don't hurry through. Allow God time to work. If the answer is yes to any question, that is an indication of sin in your life. Face it squarely and deal with it that God might be glorified in your life. By the way, I'm not sharing all 125 questions, just a few. So get your Bible and dig in. See what God has for you.
I. FORGIVENESS (Matthew 6:14, 15)
1. Is there anyone against whom you are now holding a grudge?
2. Is there anyone whom you have not forgiven?
3. Can you name anyone that you hate?
4. Are there any misunderstandings that you are not willing to forget?
5. Is there anyone you are bitter, resentful, or jealous towards?
6. Is there anyone that you dislike to hear praised or spoken well of?
7. Is there anyone you do not love?
8. Do you allow anything to justify a wrong attitude toward another?
II. SEEKING GOD FIRST (Matthew 6:33)
1. Is there anything in your life in which you have not put God first?
2. Have your decisions been made after your own wisdom and desires, rather than seeking and following God's will?
3. Do any of the following in any way interfere with your surrender and service to God; ambition, pleasures, loved ones, friendships, desire for recognition, money, your own plans?
III. WITNESSING (Acts 1:8)
1. Have you neglected to seek the lost for Christ?
2. Have you neglected to consistently share with your mouth the Lord Jesus?
3. Has your life not shown the lost Jesus Christ?
IV. LOVE (John 13:35)
1. Are you secretly pleased over the misfortune of others?
2. Are you secretly annoyed by the accomplishments and advancements of others?
3. Are you guilty of contention or strife?
4. Do you quarrel, argue, or engage in heated discussions?
5. Do you involve yourself in any divisions or "party spirit"?
6. Is there anyone whom you deliberately slight?
I challenge you to allow the God of Heaven to honestly search your heart. I believe that you will feel a burden lifted and you will be better suited to serve God in your family, neighborhood, and church. Blessings to All!