20 Bible Quotes Affirming Equal Significance of Both Genders
It is true that the presence and importance of women are understated in many of the Bible narratives, but the following quotes suggest that both the male and the female share the responsibility for the quality of life on Earth. They are equal partners and they need each other within and without the marriage relationship. Although written in a culture which mostly prioritized males, the Bible ultimately affirms the significance of both genders.
"Women are not independent of men, and men are not independent of women. For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born a woman, and everything comes from God." (1 Corinthians 11: 11,12)
Unless noted otherwise, all the quotes listed in this article are from the New Living Translation.
(1) "So God created human beings in his own image. . . male and female he created them." (Genesis 1:27)
(2) "For God made Adam first, and afterward he made Eve." (1 Timothy 2:13)
(3) "The first man didn’t come from woman, but the first woman came from man .... But among the Lord’s people, women are not independent of men, and men are not independent of women." (1 Corinthians 11: 8, 11)
(4) "And it was not Adam who was deceived by Satan. The woman was deceived." (1 Timothy 2:14)
(5) "Then he [God] said to the woman,'I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy, and in pain you will give birth ... And to the man he said, 'Since you listened to your wife and ate from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat, the ground is cursed because of you.'" (Genesis 3: 16,17)
II. Side By Side
(6) May our sons flourish in their youth like well-nurtured plants. May our daughters be like graceful pillars, carved to beautify a palace. (Psalm 144:12)
(7) Teach the older men to exercise self-control, to be worthy of respect, and to live wisely. . . Similarly, teach the older women to live in a way that honors God. (Titus 2: 2, 3)
(8) Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah’s womb. (Romans 4:19)
(9) Train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure. . . In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely. (Titus 2: 4-6)
(10) One day a petition was presented by the daughters of Zelophehad . . .“Our father died in the wilderness,” they said. . . But he had no sons. Why should the name of our father disappear from his clan just because he had no sons?”
So Moses brought their case before the Lord. And the Lord replied to Moses . . “If a man dies and has no son, then give his inheritance to his daughters.” (Numbers 27: 1-8)
III. Dos and Don'ts
(11) A woman must not put on men’s clothing, and a man must not wear women’s clothing. (Deuteronomy 22:5)
(12) A man dishonors his head if he covers his head while praying or prophesying. But a woman dishonors her head if she prays or prophesies without a covering on her head. (1 Corinthians 11: 4, 5)
(13) Women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. . . and received in themselves the due penalty for their error. (Romans 1: 26, 27 NIV)
(14) Listen to your father, who gave you life, and don’t despise your mother when she is old. (Proverbs 23:22)
IV. Love and Marriage
(15) [Man] How beautiful you are, my darling, how beautiful! . . .
[Woman] You are so handsome, my love, pleasing beyond words! (Song of Solomon 1: 15, 16)
(16) [Man] Like a lily among thistles is my darling among young women.
[Woman] Like the finest apple tree in the orchard is my lover among other young men. (Song of Solomon 2: 2, 3)
(17) Each man must love his wife . . . and the wife must respect her husband. (Ephesians 5:25)
(18) Each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband. The husband should fulfill his wife’s sexual needs, and the wife should fulfill her husband’s needs. (1 (Corinthians 7:2, 3)
(19) The believing wife brings holiness to her marriage, and the believing husband brings holiness to his marriage. (1 Corinthians 7:14)
(20) Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. (1 Peter 3:7)
What "His 'n' Hers" Gift Might You Have Selected for an Old Testament Couple?
© 2018 Dora Weithers