How Should We Pray?
In a recent sermon by pastor Rick Warren, he provided a simple method to pray through out the day. It is using the Lord's Prayer as a guide. He divided the day into 7 periods. It is an interesting take on how to pray. For those who have difficulty praying, this is a great way to start.
- Nov. 2017
The Lord's Prayer was given to us by Jesus in the Christian Bible. It is a simple but powerful prayer and one that is repeated in church services every Sunday.
However, pastor Warren has taken the prayer and disected it into seven parts. They corresponds to seven time periods in our daily lives.
1. When we get up in the morning.
2. When we eat breakfast.
3. When we start our daily work.
4. When we sit down to lunch.
5. When we take our afternoon break.
6. When we relax for the evening.
7. When we go to sleep at night.
The reason we should pray at various time of the day is to get into the habit of praying and having a dialog with God. It is almost like breathing. We breath subconsciously to nourish our body and we pray to nourish our soul.
Psalm 119:164 - "Seven times a day I praise you."
1. Our Father who art in Heaven (Thanksgiving)
When you first wake up, thank God for all the blessings you have...
2. Hallowed be thy name (Praise)
When you eat breakfast, give God praise for his goodness. He is known by many names, Abba, Jehovah...
3. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. (Dedication)
When you begin your workday, align yourself with God.
4. Give us this day our daily bread. (Petition, Intercession)
When you sit down to eat lunch, ask God for anything you need. Also, pray for others that you care about.
5. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. (Confession)
When you take your afternoon break, ask God for forgiveness. We are all sinners. It could be as small as losing your patience with a colleague, or lying to a friend...
6. And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. (Protection)
When you relax at night and watching TV, ask God to protect you from all the vices. It is said - "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."
7. For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever! Amen! (Benediction)
When you go to bed at night, you affirm God's greatness.
The Serenity Prayer is Always a Good Prayer
The Serenity Prayer is the common name for a prayer written by the American theologian Reinhold Niebuhr (1892–1971). The best-known form is:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, And wisdom to know the difference.
The Lord's Prayer can be used as a guide in helping us pray through out the day. It is easily remembered and can be a reminder for us to know what is important in life. Keep God first in our life will bring us joy and happiness and rewards.
It is counter intuitive that when you make time for God, you will have more time to get things done. The same as when you tithe and donate 10% of your income, you will be able to live better and further on the 90%.
© 2017 Jack Lee