- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
How To Pray With Effectiveness
The bible says that God is no respecter of persons, which simply put he doesn't have favorites. He is a respecter of his word the bible and this is one of the defining factors of getting ones prayers answered or not. The first thing one should do in approaching God in prayer from a biblical perspective is to have faith that he exist. Many may feel as if they are praying to the walls or in space with no one listening, but his ears are opened to the cry of the righteous. Hebrews 11:6 says that without faith it is impossible to please God for he that cometh to him (in prayer) must believe that he is (exist) and that he is a re-warder to them that diligently seek him. When a person prays but does not believe in the one they are praying to, they cannot expect God to answer. Romans 10:17 tells us how faith comes: So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. The more a person reads and studies the bible, the more that faith has a chance to develop and become the foundation for what is about to be asked for in prayer. Also Psalm 66:18 declares that if a person regards iniquity (hidden sin) in their heart, the Lord will not hear that prayer. This is why 1John 1:9 which deals with the prayer of confession should precede prayer. This verse of scripture declares if we confess our sin he is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (KJV).
How to have confidence in prayer
1 John 5:14 declares and this is the confidence that if we ask anything according to his will he heareth us; and if we know that he hears us whatsoever we ask we know that we have the petitions desired of him. Finding out the will of God is critical to prayer because it is the very foundation to build upon.
Many think the will of God for ones life is a deep mystery that no one can tap into, when the complete opposite is true because the will of God is his word (bible). As one studies Gods word and develops relationship with him through pray and fellow shipping with other believers, his "will" will slowly be revealed.
For example if a person talks to God about needing a financial miracle, they should go to the bible and find what God says about finances. Such as Philippians 4:19 which says my God shall supply all my need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Take this verse of scripture to God in prayer because he honors his word and cannot lie (Numbers 23:19). This brings confidence in prayer.
Asking is an art
Have you ever applied for a loan or something that required quite a bit of information? Asking for it was not as simple as walking in the door and saying hey...can I have this or that? The truth is that asking takes careful planning and time. Below are just a few things God requires when asking:
- Faith (Hebrews 11:6)
- Persistence (Luke 18:1)
- Patience (Isaiah 40)
- Thanksgiving (Philippians 4)
- Forgiveness (Mark 11:26)
- FAITH - ONE MUST APPROACH GOD IN FAITH IF PRAYER IS GOING TO BE ANSWERED
- PERSISTENCE - MANY SAY IF YOU ASK GOD MORE THAN ONCE YOU DON'T HAVE FAITH, THIS IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE BECAUSE CONTINUALLY COMING TO GOD ALSO SHOWS PERSISTENCE JUST AS LUKE 18 DESCRIBES A WIDOW PERSISTENTLY APPROACHING AN UNJUST JUDGE.
- ECCLESIASTES 3 DECLARES TO EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON AND TIME TO EVERY PURPOSE UNDER HEAVEN. GOD ALWAYS MAKES THINGS BEAUTIFUL IN HIS TIME SO BE WILLING TO WAIT ON THE LORD (ISAIAH 40) AND NOT ON THE THING YOUR ASKING FOR.
- THANKSGIVING (PHILIPPIANS 4:1) MEANS YOU HAVE THE ANSWER BEFORE YOU PHYSICALLY HAVE IT (FAITH). THINK ABOUT IT, WELL MANNERED INDIVIDUALS SAY THANK YOU AFTER RECEIVING SOMETHING, BUT IN PRAYER YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU RECEIVE IT AND THEN YOU HAVE IT (MARK 11:22 - 26). SO GIVING GOD THANKS IN ADVANCE SHOWS GOD YOU BELIEVE YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ANSWER.
- IF A PERSON HAS AN OFFENSE AGAINST SOMEONE GOD WILL NOT ANSWER PRAYER UNTIL THE RELATIONSHIP IS RESTORED. JESUS SAID IN MARK 11:25-26 WHEN YOU STAND PRAYING FORGIVE IF YE HAVE OUGHT AGAINST ANY THAT YOUR FATHER ALSO WHICH IS IN HEAVEN MAY FORGIVE YOU YOUR TRESPASSES. BUT IF YOU DO NOT FORGIVE, NEITHER WILL YOUR FATHER WHICH IS IN HEAVEN FORGIVE YOUR TRESPASSES.