- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
How and Why to Become a Missionary
Matthew 28:18-20Common English Bible (CEB)
Jesus came near and spoke to them, “I’ve received all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey everything that I’ve commanded you. Look, I myself will be with you every day until the end of this present age.
Jesus has commanded his church to go into all the world and reach the masses for Him. The Great Commission is not the great suggestion. It is very clear the intent of Christ. He set the example by venturing out of Heavens glory and going down to earth to reach humanity. Every Christian has a call to reach their neighbor. No matter your job, age, family satis, what school you go to; the call rest on each Christian. If your not called to full time ministry across seas there are numerous opportunities to go on short term missionary trips. Perhaps your church is planning one soon you can go on? You don't have to pray about wether or not to go, you already know you have God's anointing to go. All you need to pray about is how to raise the funds and to pray for the grace, wisdom and power of God while on the trip. Maybe a fast might be in order to get your heart and mind in the right place to minister? But I assure you that you will be blessed possibly more than the people you will be ministering to.
With every trip I go on, I know that I am being used by God to do work for him but at the same time I am always touched by the people that I am ministering to. Being a western citizen I am always reminded to be humble and grateful for all that I have and the position that I am in to reach other people for Jesus. Let me encourage you that you are well able to be used by God if you have an open heart and are willing. Your plan A! There is no plan B! Jesus didn't issue a back up plan of reaching the world. He's not sending an Angel. He's not coming back to finish the work. When he comes back it will be because we finished the work! When he comes back it will be as King not messenger. He came as messenger once before. He was born, he lived the perfect life, he died a terrible death and he rose again and gave power to you and me to finish the job. Someone is waiting on the other side of you obedience. You can't rely on your pastor, bishop, the Pope, Kenneth Copeland, Keith Moore, Creflo Dollar,Joyce Meyer,Jentezen Franklin Joel Osteen, Hillsong, Bethel, Third Day or any other ministry to do all the work. Heaven is counting on you.
You Have Annointing
The good news is that you are equipped to do the work. As I said earlier a willing heart is all God requires. Noah got drunk, Abraham was 100 years old, Jacob was a cheater, Moses had a stutter, David had an affair and was a murderer, Jonah was disobedient, Martha was a worrier, Peter had a temper and Lazarus was dead! There is plenty of hope for you and me. God doesn't call the qualified he qualifies the called. But he also gives us the Holy Spirit for wisdom and power and he has given each of us gifts. Ephesians 4:11, And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers. You have some level of one of these and maybe a combination of two or three. Spend time cultivating that gift for the mission field both at home and abroad.
A Call to Missions
How to be a Missionary?
There is no way to totally outline a plan for being a missionary but I believe these are essential steps. I'd like to offer some challenging and thinking questions to guide you through the process.
- Prayer. Guidance from your Father is the absolute first step. Ask for a burden for the right country and the right people group within that country. Pray in English or your native tongue and your Heavenly language. This will bring guidance and focus. Prayer is the only way to get a foolproof plan from Heaven. Pray the promises of God over your trip to bring peace, finances, protection, wisdom, timing, open doors, favor etc. Constantly be in prayer throughout the whole process.
- Research and Planning. While your praying start researching the country in your heart and the people group. Have they heard the Gospel? Are they open to the West? If not how can your get in? What will be your cover? What is their history, currency, language, customs and current beliefs? What other gods do they worship? What can you expect from the federal government and the local government? Start to plan how and where you can live. How will you raise the funds? What kind of big budget fundraising will you do so you can focus on full time ministry? Will you support yourself by working? When thinking about fundraising what kind of ministry work will you do so you will know how to budget for your equipment. Will you do mass crusades, medical missions, or plant churches? Will you need to defend yourself and if so what steps will be necessary?
- Contact. Who can you reach out to that will be able to help you prepare while you're in the states? Is there local branches of government? What about already established pastors? Are there missionaries in a close region of that world that you can contact? While we're talking about contact, now is a good time to emerge yourself in the language. Even if your using a translator it would be a good idea to know the construction of the language. That way you know where to pause for the translator so that your sentences make sense and there will be a flow of your message.
- PreTrip. It is essential to visit the country and region where you will be ministering. You need to meet the people, get to know them, eat lunch with them etc. This is a time to pray and do documentation, local research and get to know the people and culture. This would be good time to meet up with the local pastors and get to know them and pray with them.
Know What Religion Your Up Against
Be a fisher of menClick thumbnail to view full-size
You've done the planning, work, and covered this trip in prayer. Now it is time to commit and birth this child. Be flexible when the plan changes. Flow with the spirit and be open to the leading of your Father. One thing to keep in mind is that once you do start the work; that's not the end. You will still need to pray, plan, and keep on learning and researching. If you keep doing these steps you will be successful in the journey that God has you on. For more thoughts on this subject please see: http://imprintmissions.com/how-to-become-a-missionary/