- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
How to Go to Heaven
Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doest the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23)
It is sad but quite possible that one can be religious but lost. Many people think they are going to heaven because of the following:
- Keeping the Law. Though the Ten Commandments are God’s absolute standards of conduct, no mortal has every fully kept all His laws, nor could one reach heaven by trying. The Bible clearly states: "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in His sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Romans 3:20)
- Being good to others. It is commendable to do good, to give to charity, and to work hard at your job, but these acts can never save anyone. "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us." (Titus 3:5)
- Regular church attendance. Although one attends church on a regular basis, tithes, prays and tithes, he can still not go to heaven. These acts are good within themselves, but they can never justify sinners before a holy God. "We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags." (Isaiah 64:6)
- Working in church. Our salvation is a gift from God. We cannot work for salvation, not even the work we do in the church. God has clearly declared: "For by grace are you saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. "(Ephesians 2:8-9)
- Baptism and Holy Communion. By observing the church ordinance of being baptized and partaking of Holy Communion does not constitute salvation. Without trusting in Jesus Christ, Baptism and Communion cannot help. The Bible shows clearly that these are of spiritual value only when one believes in Jesus Christ.
- Born of Christian parents. Children born into Christian homes need to be saved like anyone else. God has no grandchildren — only children. We are heir to the throne and joint heir with Jesus Christ. "As many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” (1 John 1:12-13)
- Confirmation. Penances. Extreme Unction. As the basis for going to heaven, none of these is the real issue. A person could very well go through all of these actions without having settled the real issue of salvation "That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. "(Romans 10:9)
According to Romans 10:9-10 do you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord and God raised Him from the dead?
God's Way of Salvation
The Bible gives a definite answer to this question. The one and only way to spend eternity with God in heaven is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Because we cannot save ourselves by good works, good character, personal effort, or merit of any kind, God sent His Son to die as a substitute for sinners. When the Lord Jesus died on Calvary’s cross and rose again on the third day, He finished all the work necessary for salvation. Now all that God requires is that we receive Christ as our Savior.
Therefore, when a sinner trusts the Savior, he is saved, and on the authority of God’s word has everlasting life and is bound for heaven. Jesus said, He that heareth My word, and believeth on Him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24)
Will you accept God’s way of salvation? The choice is yours. You may continue to trust in those aforementioned things and go straight to hell without Christ. The other choice is to believe in Jesus Christ and be saved and make heaven your eternal home.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved. (Acts 16:31)