How to Grow Spiritually as a Christian
Are you looking for more fulfillment in your life? Are you craving spiritual growth and a closer connection to God? Follow these steps to grow in spirituality.
Find a Church Home
If you do not already have a church home where you feel there are opportunities for spiritual growth, follow these steps to find your church home:
1. Think about what your beliefs are. What worship style you prefer? What programs you would like to participate in? What size church would fit your needs? Make a list of what you are looking for in a church home.
2. Do a web search of churches in your area. Find out what churches fulfill most of the items on your list. Also ask friends and family for recommendations. You can learn a lot more about the heart of a church from the people who go there than you can online.
3. Visit the churches that meet your needs based on the online search and recommendations from friends and family.
4. Talk with the church pastor.
5. Visit the church a few times before making a decision. Even churches can have off weeks.
6. Once you have visited the church a few times ask yourself how the church made you feel. Does it feel like a place where you could grow spiritually? What opportunities are there for spiritual growth? What opportunities are there to get to know other parishioners? What opportunities are there to serve in the church and the community?
7. Once you have choosen your church home, get involved!
Get Involved in Church
There are many ways you can get involved in your church.
- Attend service every weekend
- Talk to the pastor about the service and about what is going on in your life
- Help out. Sign up to serve in some way. You could work in the children's ministry, serve communion, usher, send get well and birthday cards or visit the sick. There are always plenty of opportunities to help out.This will give you a feeling of happiness as well as the chance to get to know other parishioners.
- Attend special events. If your church has a pumpkin festival - go, and maybe even help out.
- Join a small group or bible study.
Join a Small Group or Bible Study
To grow in your relationship with God you must go outside of your comfort zone. Do what feels awkward. Some of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had and those that provided the most growth happened when I went outside of my comfort zone. I participated in the Not a Fan Small Group Study. This study was way outside of my comfort zone. It challenged me to think about my life, my actions, and my intentions towards following Jesus in my life. It changed the way I think about my relationship with God. It was life changing. I would recommend it to anyone interested in growing spiritually. There are multiple options to participating in Not a Fan. The amazon link to the right shows it as a group study, individual study, or teen study.
Read the Bible
The bible is God's word given to us. Take some time every day to read the bible and think about what it means in your life.
Spend time parying every day. It doesn't have to be at a specific time. It can be all the time. This may sound a little bit silly but I picture Jesus with me wherever I go. When I drive my car, he is sitting in the passenger seat. When I take the dog for a walk he is walking right next to me. This mental cue reminds me that he is always present in my life and always available to talk. I try and talk to him throughout the day. Thinking he is there, next to me, has an affect on my behavior. It calms me when I am upset. It's easier to think "What would Jesus do?" when I feel like he is right there.
Pick a time every day to be quiet; to sit still and close your eyes. Open up your mind. Let God in. Let him tell you of his plans for your life.
Everyone is a child of God. In John 15:12, Jesus says, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." Volunteering gives you the opportunity to love others as Jesus loves us. Maybe not perfectly like Jesus but as best as our mortal selves can. Supporting those in need is one the greatest acts of love and one of the best opportunities for spiritual growth.
Incorporating these steps into your daily life will put you on track for lasting spiritual growth. Good Luck and God Bless!