- Religion and Philosophy»
- Paganism & Witchcraft
How to Spiritually Cleanse, Bless, and Protect Your Home
Cleaning House...Spiritually Speaking
Many people do not realize that when they move into a new place there are energies that might be lingering there from past residents or past incidents. While these energies are usually not going to greatly affect you, there is still a chance that it could affect you or someone in your family given the energy is strong enough. These energies can be particularly powerful in a home where there was a lot of negative energy building up over a long period of time. For example, a home where a bitter divorce took place, a home where a suicide or homicide took place, or a home that housed a person who might have gone through major depression or other disorders that would affect a person's spirituality and/or mentality.
So while you want to focus on cleaning your new house physically, you might want to also remember to clean your new house spiritually as well. This also applies to a home in which you have been residing that has never been cleansed spiritually to your knowledge. If you're looking to lighten up the air and promote a positive energy flow in your home, cleansing the energy of your house is imperative. (As a side note, I cleanse my home once a month to keep the positive flowing in and the negative flowing out).
How to Spiritually Cleanse Your Home
Now that you know the importance of energetically cleansing your home, let's learn about the best and easiest ways to cleanse.
A personal favorite of mine is to do a good ol' fashioned smudging ritual. Smudging, to put it simply, is a Native American tradition of lighting bundles of herbs and using the smoke in order to spiritually cleanse an area or person from negative energy or spirits. Different herbs are used in order to do a smudging ritual, and so the choice of herb is up to you. Some of the herb bundles that can be used include: white sage, cedar, and sweetgrass. If you cannot get your hands on a smudging bundle, you can always make your own. Or you can use herbs that you have in your own kitchen cabinet!
There are many herbs with purificatory qualities that will work just as well as a white sage bundle will work in cleansing a home. For example, you can use dried rosemary, basil, common sage (the kind that you get from the grocery store), cloves, cumin, garlic, and onion (among many others). Create your own loose incense with one or more of these dried herbs and burn them over a charcoal disk (carefully of course!) Let the smoke fill each room with its purifying and cleansing powers.
If you are using incense or a smudging bundle of some type, here are the quick and easy steps to do a cleansing of your home:
- Start at your front door with lit incense or smudge bundle in hand. Allow the smoke to fill the room and say, "I cleanse this home with this smoke. All negativity must go away, only positive energy can stay."
- Move in a counter-clockwise direction from room to room in your home. Be sure to allow the smoke to fill the air in each room and say your line before leaving each room at least once. (I usually take the incense/smudge bundle in one hand and move it in a circular motion counterclockwise while speaking my words.)
- Once you have cleansed each room with the smoke, extinguish the incense or smudge bundle and say out loud, "so mote it be" or "amen" or "and it will be done" (whatever you feel most comfortable saying).
Performing an Effective & Efficient Home Blessing
Blessing one's home while moving in is actually quite a common practice among various faiths. That being said, you do not have to be of a particular faith in order to bless your home before or while moving in.
The best things to use are oils or holy water. For the oil, you can use plain ol' olive oil or whatever kind of oil you have in your cabinet. For the holy water, you can acquire some from a Church or create your own.
Here's just a few types of oils you can use as the key ingredient in your house blessing: olive oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, and even vegetable oil!
Hint: to make your house blessing oil specifically powerful, try infusing your oil with herbs that have protective/peaceful/joyful properties...learn how to make your own oils by clicking here.
Here's a few ways to make holy water on your own without having to consult a church for use: fresh spring water (some of which you've collected), purified water left to soak up the sun's rays or the full moon's rays, or even thunderstorm water.
TIP: DO NOT DRINK HOLY WATER...the power within it will not do your body well...it is specifically used for energetic/spiritual purposes.
You'll want to make your house blessing the second step in the process (after you've done a thorough cleansing as previously stated).
Here's how to perform a house blessing:
- Put your oil or holy water into a small bowl or container of your choice.
- Start in the front of your house and dip your pointer finger into the oil or water.
- Draw a protective symbol on the door-frame (i.e. a cross, star of David, pentacle, etc.) While you're drawing the symbol, simply state out loud "Bless this home in the name of _______. (Insert your preferred name for the Divine in the blank. I.E. God, the Divine, the Universe, Spirit, Jesus, ancestors, etc.)
- Continue to repeat this process for every door in your house, walking in a clockwise fashion from room to room until you've drawn your symbol on every door-frame in the house.
- End the house blessing my stating "Amen" or "So be it", etc. (whatever you prefer).
Homemade House Protection, Again Spiritually Speaking
Now you've cleansed your house of negative energies and you've blessed your house to allow positive energy to flow throughout. What now? Now it's time to set up a protective barrier around your home, energetically and spiritually speaking that is. Again depending on your faith, your beliefs as far as how to protect your home spiritually will vary. But you do not have to follow any faith in order to spiritually protect your home.
Here are a few options to consider for protecting your home:
- hang a meaningful religious symbol on your wall(s) to promote protection
- feng shui your home (with correct furniture placement, mirror placement, etc)
- say a prayer every night to ask for protection around your home
- visualize a circle or bubble of impenetrable white light around your home (do this every night or at least once a week)
- physically draw a circle around your home with salt (don't put it on your plants though!), red brick dust, pepper, rosemary leaves, or any other type of herb with a protective quality and envision that you are drawing a barrier around your home
- hang pictures of your deities, spirit guides, angels, or ancestors around your home and ask that they watch over your home and protect it
- wind chimes, bells, horseshoes, witch balls, mirrors, etc. in order to frighten away negative and/or mischievous entities
Written and copyright © KittytheDreamer, 2013. All Rights Reserved.