- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
How to Start Your Own Bible Devotion
Bible Devotion an introduction
I have written this post to encourage practicing Christians to have their own Bible devotions everyday. Taking up 30 mins a day of your time is not that time consuming, this could even make you feel better and perform better everyday.
Why do we need to read the Bible? Joshua 1:8 answers this question.
Joshua 1:8 NLT "Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do."
For some, reading the Bible is quite awkward. Some would say; I don't have time to read, the Bible is not for me, it's just a crazy thing to do, I don't go to church so I don't need it, I was about to start reading but I'm quite occupied, and many more excuses.
But do you want to find out more about life? Come and join us and be revived.
People are searching
If you will do google research, many people searches the internet on how to do devotionals, which shows many are eager but they want someone who will show them how. The most common searches are; devotionals, daily devotion, bible verse of the day, scripture of the day, where do i start reading the bible, daily devotional for women, bible devotions for men...
And here we go, this is a simple guide that I want to share to you. :)
What do you need ?
1. Bible Old Testment and New Testament
2. A ballpoint pen or any pen
3. Notebook, it could be a special notebook like diary, or any design you want
3. And a quiet, comfortable place
The Devotional Pattern
This devotional pattern that I share to you can be flexible; you may alter it to suit your time. You can start on the Old Testament, but I suggest to start on the New Testament.
1. The best time to do this is when you woke up, before you do your work of any kind. You may take some stretching, gargling. Before you start, take a sincere spoken prayer (not by mind) ask for guidance and help, speak for what you want.
2. You could also do worship first by singing Christian song/s you know.
3. On your notebook, write the date and chapter readings you aim to read. For example; Matthew Chapter 1-3, July 29, 2013. Suggested readings can be at least 1 to 3 chapters a day.
4. After reading, write the verse/s that strikes you more.
5. Write the lesson that you learned from it.
6. Write how you would apply it in your daily life.
7. Last is to write your prayer for the day, it can be of any kind, be specific and ask the Lord. Write why you want it to happen / the purpose.
8. Close it with a prayer :) Don't forget to give thanks for everything, especially if a prayer that you have written is answered :)
How does it look like?
The simplest pattern that I could share to you is the SLAP = Striking verse, Lesson, Application, Prayer
Matthew Chapter 1-3, July 29, 2013
Striking verse = John 3:16
Lesson = The Lords loves us so much even though we don't love Him that much always, though we sin, He continuously pours down His grace and mercy for us. I can't imagine how I lack to give Him the due praise, attention, and love.
Application = I will live my life pleasing at the Lord's eye. I will love Him more than I do, I also want to love others as I love myself. I will learn to understand more, love more, and share more in this life.
Prayer = Oh, Lord Jesus Christ, my Savior, please help me in my business, I need a capital for the expansion I need. It will not only help us, it will also give way for us to give more for others and to share it, for the ministry and to help strengthen my brothers.
Benefits of doing daily devotion
1. It will strengthen your Christian character.
2. It will hep you in your daily life.
3. It will correct our attitude, perception, and life principles.
4. It will not only help you to have a happy life, also a happy family.