- Religion and Philosophy»
- Islam, the Quran & Muhammed
Importance of Ashura Muharram in Islam in the light of Sayings of Prophet
What is meant for Ashura Muharram?
Ashura Muharram stands for the worth 10th in English language. In Islam Ashura Muharram is the tenth date of Muharram, the first month of Islamic calendar year. This is the day when the Yazidi forces martyred Hazrat Imam Hussain, the grand son of Hazrat Muhammad (Peace be upon Him). On the eve of Ashura Muharram all the Muslims world commemorate the great sacrifices of the great Imam for Islam. However, besides martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain, Ashura Muharram has great importance in may ways. Even before this tragic incidence of Karbala, the Muslims used to observe fasting on this day. Importance of Ashura Muharram is manifested on the authority of many saying of holy Prophet (Peace be upon him). Some of the instances are quoted below:
Grave of Hazrat Yousaf
Importance of Ashura Muharram in the light of sayings of Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)
1. On Ashura Muharram Holy Prophet (SAW) and his companions used to fast.
It is narrated by Ar-Rubi' bint Mu'awadh: "The Hazrat Muhammad (Peace be upon him) sent a messenger to the village of the Ansar in the morning of the day of 'Ashura Muharram' (10th of muharram) to announce: 'Whoever has eaten something should not eat but complete the fast, and whoever is observing the fast should complete it.' "She further said, "Since then we used to fast on that day regularly and also encourage our offspring to fast on the particular day of Ashura Muharram. We used to make toys of wool for the children and if anyone of them cried for, he was given those toys till it was the time of the breaking the fast." (Book #31, Hadith #181)
2. It was the tradition of fasting on the day of Ashura Muharram even before Islam. In a Hadith narrated by Hazrat Aisha it is narrated 'Ashura Muharram' (i.e. the tenth of muharram) was a day on which the tribe of Quraish used to fast in the pre-lslamic period of ignorance. The Prophet also used to fast on this day. So when he migrated to Medina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on the day of Ashura Muharram. When the fasting of Ramadan was enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast on the day of Ashura Muharram. (Book #58, Hadith #172
3. The Month of Muharram is one of the sacred months. According to Hadith
Hazrat Abu Bakra narrates: The Prophet said. "(The division of time has turned to its original form which was current when Allah created the Heavens and the Earths. The year is of twelve months, out of which four months are sacred: Three are in succession Dhul-Qa' da, Dhul-Hijja and muharram, and (the fourth is) Rajab of (the tribe of) Mudar which comes between Jumadi-ath-Thaniyah and Sha ban." (Book #54, Hadith #419).
4. Ashura Muharram is the day when the Moses succeeded, by the grace of God, in releasing the Israelities from the land of Pharaoh. In a Hadith narrated Ibn 'Abbas it is stated: "When the Prophet came to the city of Medina, he found that the the Jews used to observe fasting on the day of 'Ashura Muharram' (i.e. 10th of muharram). They used to say: "This is a great day on which Allah saved Moses and drowned the folk of Pharaoh. Moses observed the fast on this day, as a sign of gratitude to Allah." The Prophet said, "I am closer to Moses than they." So, he observed the fast (on that day) and ordered the Muslims to fast on it. (Book #55, Hadith #609).
5. Fasting on Ashura Muharram Expiates the sins of the preceding year. Abu Qatada al-Ansari (Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) was asked about fasting on the day of 'Ashura Muharram (10th of muharram), whereupon be said: It expiates the sins of the preceding year.
6. Most Excellent Fast after the Month of Ramdan is the fast on the day of Ashura Muharram.Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) reported that he (the Messenger of Allah) was asked as to which prayer was most excellent after the prescribed prayer, and which fast was most excellent after the month of Ramadan. He said: Prayer offered in the middle of the night and the most excellent fast after (fasting) in the month of Ramadan is the fast in God's month al-muharram. (Book #006, Hadith #2612)
7. Ashura Muharram the day of Martyrdom of Hazrat Imam Hussain. Hazrat Imam Hussain, son of Hazrat Ali and grand son of the Holy Prophet, fought and attained martyrdom in the battle of Kerbala. He was defending Islam from the hands of a worthless tyrant called Yazid. Indeed he presented before God the greatest sacrifice in the history of the world, that was not only his own life but the lives of many of young sons and nephews.
8. It is narrated by Hazrat Abdullah bin Masood (Radi Allah Anhu) that Holy Prophet said, "Whosoever prepares ample food and drink for his family on the sacred day of Ashura Muharram and delights in feeding them generously, Allah Ta’ala will increase His provisions for that year and place much blessings and good therein."
Instances attributed towards Ashura Muharram in Islam
- Ashura Muharram is the day when the repentance of Hazrat Adam (Alehis Salam) was accepted by the Almigthy.
- Hazrat Nuh ('Alaihis-Salaam) and his companions were saved by the Almighty in the ark on this day.
- Sayyidina Ibrahim ('Alaihis-Salaam) was saved by Allah from fire in which he was thrown by Nimrod on the day of Ashura;
- On this day Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) talked directly to Hazrat Musa ('Alaihis-Salaam) and gave him the Commandments, commonly known as ten commandments.
- On the day of Ashura Muharram, Hazrat Ayyub ('Alaihis-Salaam) attained health with the grace of Almighty (from leprosy);
- Hazrat Yusuf ('Alaihis-Salaam) was met his father Ya’qub ('Alaihis-Salaam) on the day of Ashura Muharram
- Sayyidina Yunus ('Alaihis-Salaam) was taken out from the fish belly;
- On the great day of Ashura Muharram Sayyidina Dawud ('Alaihis-Salaam) was forgiven;
- On the day of Ashura the kingdom of Sulaiman ('Alaihis-Salaam) was restored
Hazrat Isa ('Alaihis-Salaam) was raised to Jannah on the day of Ashura Muharram
Grave of Prophets of Islam
Common things Sunni Muslim should do on the day of Ashura Muharram
2. They do as much charity as one can do.
3. They recite Quran as much as they can. Especially Surah Ikhlas is recited on this day.
4. Muslims offer prayers with Jama'at and also offer Nawafil prayers.
5. Muslims used to put surmah in eyes.
6. They take bath and cut the nails.
7. Muslims visit sicks and re-establish ties with annoyed relatives and friends.
8. Visit shrines of Wali Allahs as they are the friends of Almighty and their shrines are the places where blessings of Almighty Shower all the time.
9. Visit graveyard and offer Fatiha.