In Nahum, He's our Strength and our Shield
Introduction to the book of Nahum
Nahum was written by a prophet with the same name, Nahum. The prophesies of Nahum were for the city of Nineveh, the Assyrian capital...you might remember that in an early book of the Old Testament, Jonah, the prophet Jonah was sent to Nineveh to prophesy to the citizens of her city the coming wrath of God's judgments. At that time, the people of Nineveh turned from the wicked ways. Now, however, Nineveh will not be able to escape God's judgments, as since being the governing capital of the Assyrian Empire, they were held responsible for taking God's people, of the Northern Kingdom, the Kingdom of Israel, into captivity. Throughout Nahum, the underlying theme is: Beware, God avenges evil!
God alone is the source of destruction.
Nahum 1:2-3a--"The Lord is a jealous and avenging God; the Lord takes vengeance and is filled with wrath. The Lord takes vengeance on His foes and maintain His wrath against His enemies. The Lord is slow to anger and great in power; the Lord will not leave the guilty unpunished"
God hates sin because it is opposition to his nature. God cannot sin, He can only love and forgive. He can only give mercy and grace. He can only offer freedom and eternal life. These are all things He freely gives when we stand in boldness before Him at His throne of grace. To reject these gifts is to reject God. To reject God gives the necessity of His justice and wrath poured out upon you.
2 Kings 18:17a
There is a reason for the destruction of Nineveh...sin.
Nahum 1:11--"From you, O Nineveh, has one come forth who plots evil against the Lord and counsels wickedness."
And a judgment was upon the Assyrians and their king. In 2 Kings 19:35-36, we read, "That night the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand men in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning-there were all the dead bodies! So Sennacherib king of Assyria broke camp and withdrew. He returned to Nineveh and stayed there."
Nahum 1:14--"The Lord has give a command concerning you, Nineveh: 'You will have no descendant to bear your name. I will destroy the carved images and cast idols that are in the temple of your gods. I will prepare you grave, for you are vile.'"
And in 2 Kings 19:37, we read, "One day, while he was worshiping in the temple of his god Nisroch, his sons Adrammelech and Sharezer cut him down with the sword, and they escaped to the land of Ararat. And Esarhaddon his son succeeded him as king." Not only did God use His words to tell Sennacherib that he would die in his own temple of his own gods; but, God used His power to do so through Sennaherib's own son. Sennacherib was killed in the temple of his gods just as God said would happen.
What were some of the reasons for Nineveh's fall?
- bloodshed ... Nahum 3:1
- lies ... Nahum 3:1
- robbery ... Nahum 3:1
- killing of the innocent ... Nahum 3:3-4
- whoredom ... Nahum 3:4
- witchcraft ... Nahum 3:4
- Immorality ... Nahum 3:5
- hidden violence ... Nahum 3:6
- merchants, hired soldiers, who destroy ... Nahum 3:16
- a sound so bad it could not be healed ... Nahum 3:19
- continual wickedness ... Nahum 3:19
What are some reasons for God's judgment on America?
- bloodshed ... in 2013, there were 14,196 murders in the United States of America.
- lies ... You only need to turn on a news channel to hear the multitude of lies being told to and by the citizens of the United States of America, our political system is in a constant state of lies and denials.
- robbery ... In 2013, coming violent robber, misdemeanor burglary, probationary theft and vehicular theft, the number equals 8,977,543 thefts in the United States of America.
- killing of the innocent ... In 2008, a total of 1,200,000 abortions happened in the United States of America, and in 2013, there were 14,196 murders in the United States of America.
- whoredom ... There are over 1,000,000 prostitutes in the United States of America.
- witchcraft ... Witchcraft, magic, sorcery and idol worship have been around since the ancient days of man, and is on a steady rise in the United States of America, with Wicca leading the way.
- immorality ... You only need to turn on a news channel to hear the multitude of lies being told to and by the citizens of the United States of America.
- hidden violence ... Please, refer to the numbers for bloodshed, robbery and the killing of the innocent.
- merchants, hired soldiers, who destroy ... You only need to turn on a news channel to hear the multitude of lies being told to and by the citizens of the United States of America.
- a wound so bad it could not be healed ... AIDS, herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis, genital herpes, etc. We need to stop handing the youth of the Untied States of Americas condoms while they are in school and give them the Word of God instead.
- continual wickedness ... 2 Chronicles 7:14--"If My people, who are called by My Name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
I feel the need to state that, while I do not judge any heart or life, as that is God's job alone, and He is more than capable to do what He needs to do, I do call to the Light the sin of man. I am not calling out specific people for their specific sins. To so would be an insult to God; however, I am called, as a pastor, to speak black is black, white is white, Hell is hot and sin ain't right.
And, let me just further say, that I stand at the head of the line. I am a sinner of the worst of sinners; I stood at the gate and watched my Friend being mocked and tortured and denied Him all the same, I stood at that cross and nailed those nails into the hands and feet of my Savior, I stood at that pierced my Lord's side with a soldier's spear. Yet, I stood at the entrance to an empty tomb and leaped with joy because my Friend, my Savior, my Lord lives!!!!!!
I have found forgiveness and love, grace and mercy, light and truth; I no longer need fear my past because my future includes everlasting life.
Please, take a moment and reach out to the Lord of lords and the King of kings; He's waiting for you.
When gathering my information for my capsules, I used Google. I used a plethora of information from a variety of sources and web sites...all with a start at the Google search page.
"Because He Lives"
Habakkuk will be the next book of the Old Testament that I will be doing a study on. Habakkuk, the prophet, questions God, or gives up complaints and then gains affirmation as God gives His reply to the prophet's complaints and questions. It is in stepping across the threshold of this door that leads from questions and complaints to affirmation that Habakkuk is able to affirm, in his faith, "I will rejoice in the Lord. The Lord is my strength."