- Religion and Philosophy»
- Atheism & Agnosticism
Is Human Parthenogenesis the true story of Mary and Joseph?
The stigma of being pregnant without being married - still present today
Parthenogenesis - The story of Mary and Joseph?
Was there truly an immaculate conception? Or just more past political hype to 'sell' a book to the public? Religious beliefs versus science. And does it REALLY matter?
Parthenogenesis: Reproduction by development of an unfertilized female gamete (sex cell) that occurs naturally among lower plants, invertebrates, and animals. Particularly found in rotifers, aphids, ants, wasps, bees, crustaceans, flatworms, snails, reptiles, sharks, birds, mammals and even humans. An egg produced parthenogenetically may be either haploid (with one set of dissimilar chromosomes) or diploid (with a paired set of chromosomes). Haploid usually are non-viable (they do no survive).
Parthenogenesis in humans is extremely rare. It is the spontaneous development of an ovum not initiated by combination with a male gamete (sperm). It may occur as a natural phenomenon or be induced by chemical or mechanical stimulation of the ovum (artificial parthenogenesis).
There have been somewhere between 60 - 100 world wide recorded incidences (depending on which source you find most reliable) of spontaneous egg fertilization in human females. Although the numbers conflict, the claim is still the same: pregnancy without physical copulation. There are several reasons why anyone would make this claim - all are dubious at best:
- the societal stigma of admission of sexual relations without marriage.
- Religious shame - obvious intents.
- Family shame of implied "promiscuity" and all that is attached to that stigmatic foolishness.
- Personal shame and denial to avoid the proverbial societal "stoning" for life.
Sadly all the shame and blame falls solely on the female (only in humans of course). Even our governmental politicians point fingers of blame toward the woman and depict the poor helpless male as an unfortunate victim of her wiles.
There is no modern day proof that the incidence of parthenogenesis in humans is real, at all. The religiously brainwashed, cite their 'holy book' as "proof" that this is possible - but even at that, they concede that some other "unseen spiritual entity" was somehow involved.
The lower animals in today's world can be studied and empirically proven that this phenomena truly does exist.
The word parthenogenesis comes from the Greek language: "parthenos" meaning "virgin" and "genesis" meaning "birth". But using this term (virgin birth) is also misleading and inaccurate in describing reproduction modes of the hermaphroditic species that can reproduce by themselves because they contain reproductive organs of both sexes in a single individual's body.
Parthenogenesis is a form of asexual reproduction found only in females, where the growth and development of embryos occur without male fertilization.
With this explanation one can concur that it is indeed possible to have a so called spontaneous pregnancy. I have explained this in greater detail in my hub entitled: "Are People Born Gay?" (link provided below) as explicitly simple as i possible could for the intellectually impaired, using the scale spectrum: [male --hermaphrodite--female].
Some similar phenomena include:
- Gynogenesis: Development in which the embryo contains only maternal chromosomes due to activation of an egg by sperm that degenerates without fusing with the egg nucleus.
- Hybridogenesis: Reproduction is not completely asexual, but instead hemi-clonal: half the genome is passed intact to the next generation, while the other half is discarded. It occurs in some animals that are themselves hybrids between two different species.
- Automixis: is a term that covers several reproductive mechanisms, some of which are parthenogenetic. It is defined as reproduction involving the merger of two products (from the four possible products) of the same meiosis. (the cellular process that results in the number of chromosomes in gamete producing cells being reduced to one half and that involves a reduction division in which one of each pair homologous chromosomes passes to each daughter cell and a mitotic division). If this merger occurs before these meiotic products have matured into gametes, then the process is considered to be parthenogenesis. In automictic parthenogenesis the individual offspring differ from one another and from their mother. Sometimes the meiotic products that combine are exact copies, which is sometimes described as "half a clone". The offspring still is unique and not a clone of its mother.
Everything is NOT black and white as we try to pretend them to be. There are multiple variations of the theme of procreation in which one will find adequate proof by opening their eyes to the reality of the diversity in life around us.
After reading all available descriptive materials involving the process of parthenogenesis the answers are still unclear, and unproven, as to the validity of the claims of all who declare this phenomenon as fact. It all boils down to whether you want to believe it, or not. It is theoretically possible, but not empirically proven.
I, for one, believe anything is possible after caring for many mutative human beings during my working years in which i witnessed with true amazement some of these extreme and tragic birth deformities (or anomalies, or mutations), if you prefer other kinder terms of description.
by d.william 09/04/2011
- Preparing for Pregnancy; Mentally, Physically and Spiritually
The same process can be applied to preparing for pregnancy. A seed is impregnated and a new life is forming inside the womb. The fruit of the seed is a new life, a human being brought into the world, a brand new baby.
- A Mother's Story On Miscarriage and Pregnancy Loss ~ My Feelings, Quotes and Stories of Healing
I knew that one day I'd write this hub, but it's not the easiest one that I've ever done. Today, I'm opening up a part of my heart to the world that I've kept closed too long. It would be selfish of me to not...
- Are People Born Gay? Dancing to a different Drummer. Under the Eye of God.
Are People Born Gay? What an absurd question. Apparently there is not enough education, or even logic, on this subject. We are prisoners to the religious fanatics.