How To Deal With Evil People
Who Are Evil People?
You might think evil people are only those who murder and steal. However, evil people are not limited to those who kill or take your possessions.
Evil people might be the one sitting next to you in church sharing your Bible and hymn book. Evil people might be someone who car pool with you to take your kids to school.
Evil people might be the one who shares the bed with you at night or the one who gives you order at work.
The first lesson to learn about evil people is that they are subtle, and you might not recognize who they are until they have done something to hurt you or your feelings. Discern the company you keep and those you come in contact with. They might be wolves in sheep clothing (Matthew 5:17).
Characteristics of Evil People
The Bible is full of characteristics of evil people. The list below includes only a few of them.
- Evil people cause confusion and contention. They lie, cheat, and withhold information to make themselves look good and others look bad.
Evil people are crafty, cunning and good at fooling others. However, there is little or no fruit in their lives.
- Evil people have a habit of controlling and manipulating. They are not accountable to anyone except themselves. They think everybody is wrong and they are always right.
- Evil people choose who they can boss around. They prey on humble people.
- Evil people have no conscience and show no remorse after hurting others.
- Evil people are great pretenders. They act like they know it all and have done everything while demeaning what others have done.
- The goal of most evil people is to try to make you look bad because they think putting you down will elevate them.
- Evil people disguise themselves as something else just to get close to you and will turn whatever you tell them into something bad.
Being Around Evil People
Anything or anyone that is evil is defined as profound immoral, wicked, sinful and mean. Evil people are all around us. Even though we prefer not being around them, we often come in contact with evil people. We are around evil people on our jobs, in our schools, in our community, and while it is hard to believe, we come in contact with evil people in our churches.
Since we have to work with and worship with evil people, how do we deal with them? Are there some lessons we can learn from them, and are there some lessons they can learn from us?
You Can't Get Away From Evil People
Some people might think the best way to get along with evil people is to stay away from them. While that might be a good suggestion, it is almost impossible because evil people are all around us. We don't look for them. They find us.
How To Respond To Evil People
Keep some things in mind when it comes to evil people.
- You should learn from evil people that the fault lies with them and not with you. You should not think something is wrong with you just because someone is mean to you.
- Even though people are mean to you, you do not have to be mean to them. If they are mean to you and you become mean to them, you are no better than they are.
- If you can, tune out mean people and ignore them during those times when they are ranting and raging.
- Catch the evil person off guard by treating them with kindness. The evil person will become confused by your behavior.
- Stand up for yourself. Your action might inspire other people to stand up to the mean person. This will cause them to refrain from being mean toward others.