Holy Bible: What Do The Words Mean?
The Bible in Christianity
King James Version: Holy Bible
- Apostles of the Bible
This article is about the Bibles Apostles. John, Matthew, Paul ,Luke and Peter are highlighted in this religious hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are also featured here.
- Mini Jerusalem in Cullman, Alabama
This particular hub was written after 2 trips to Cullman, AL, to the Ava Maria Grotto. This is not a bad drive considering this particular Landmark is in Alabama and kind of close to me. This hub will explain each individual work of art and his inspi
- The Mother of Jesus: Tribute to Mary
This article is about The Mother of Jesus. Mary will be discussed in this hub. Hopefully, I will include something in this hub that is unique that maybe you didn't know about Mary and even Jesus. I hop you find this hub informative and if you enjoy i
- Symbols of The Christian Religion
This article documents some of the most famous Christian religious symbols and other items. The Fish, Crucifix, Holy Water, The Bible and the Rosary are featured in this blog along with other facts and information. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictu
- Catholic Traditions
This article is about the Most Blessed Sacrament located in Hanceville, Alabama. This Shrine is for Catholics, monks and any lover of God to visit. It has a beautiful church adorned with amazing paintings and pictures. You tube videos, pictures, poll
- The Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament
I visited the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL. This is a great place to visit if you are looking for a day trip that is not expensive. It has a beautiful Cathedral and religious pictures adorned the walls. My favorite is the life si
What Does That Mean?
Note: This list in no shape, form or fashion is anywhere near all the words that can be defined in The Bible. That would be a list that would be numbered in the thousands. Most of the words on this list are found numerous times in The Bible. The references that I will be making are used in the Christian religion. Some of these words can have more than one meaning, and simply put, The Bible is deep and vast has to be studied to understand the meaning.
1. Abaddon: This word is used to describe the devil or demons and it means, The Destroyer and The Bottomless Pit.
2. Tabernacle: A place of worship or a temporary habitation or a temple as in Temple of The Lord.
3. Sanctified: In The Bible, this word means to purify, cleanse and make Holy. This word was used many times in The Holy Bible.
4. Baptism: A religious ceremony in which the person is submerged and totally covered in water for final purification. When it is not feasible to submerge the person in the water, such as, the elderly, water is poured over their head. In our particular church if they were elderly and could not be submerged in the traditional way of leaning over backwards and kind of stooping down and let the preacher submerge you, then they still would be totally wet from head to toe.
5. Testament: This word means Covenant, and it describes the writings of the Christian Bible. The Bible is broken up into the Old Testament and the New Testament. This is still used in many religions today.
6. Patriarch: In the Church it means the leader of the Arch Bishops. Also, the Father or leader of a family.
7. Obscuration: This word is defined as living in darkness or not easily understood.
8. Omnipotence: Another word that refers to God and it means Infinite or unlimited power.
9. Mammon: This word refers to wealth, riches or having lots of money. It's used several times in The Bible to describe kings and head of state.
10. Ignominious: This means worthy of contempt, disgraceful, cowardly and dishonorable.
11. Quarried: This word used in the Bible could mean several things including: Digging a pit or cavern and an arrow with a square head.
12. Jehovah: The word means the Eternal God or being, The Eternal Spirit and Yahweh. One religion that uses this name is Jehovah's Witness.
13. Baal: Several meanings are attached to this word, notably, Lord of the Dead, Commander and Lord of the Sun. The Syrians are thought to have built wooden statues of Baal for worship.
14. Bewitch: This word means to charm, fascinate or to take away a person's will or resistance.
15. Blaspheme: This word is defined as: To speak reproachfully or revile God or the Holy Spirit. Also, It means speaking of The Supreme Being in impious irreverence.
16. Beseech: This word means to pray or ask with urgency or simply to implore someone.
17. Jezebel: Lacks moral sensibilities and moral character. Also defined as an impudent, daring, vitious woman.
18. Benevolence: This word in scripture means: The disposition to do good: the love of mankind, kindness and Charitable.
19. Manna: A miraculously appearing food came from God to the Israelites during their trip through Arabia.
20. Firmament: The Heavens above: The sky and/ or region of air.
21. Frankincense: Used as a perfume and it'[s made of Frank and incense. It is made of a dry, resinous substance that has a bitter taste.
22. Wayfarer: A traveler or a passenger on a journey.
23. Patrimonial: It means inherited from ancestors from the past. Also, it means a Church Estate or revenue.
24. Prognostic: Indicating or foreshadowing the future by signs or other gestures.
25. Environ: This word's definition is: To encompass or surround something. To envelop or besiege.
26. Chalcedony: It means milk diluted with water. It is a subspecies of quartz and is sometimes called, white agate.
27. Concupiscence: This word means: Unlawful sexual deire or to overly lust after. T o covet or desire someone.
28. Unleavened: This term is concerned with bread. This is a dough that was not raised by leaven or yeast.
29. Transfiguration: A change of form that occurred when our Lord appeared on The Mount.
30. Edification: Gaining knowledge of self and demonstrating proper morals.
31. Arch Angel: The highest ranking Angel in Heaven: An Angel of the highest order.
32. Quaternion: The number four but it also can mean a file of four soldiers in the Bible.
33. Fathom: A length of six feet: Reach or penetration.
34. Noisome: This term means: Hurtful or mischievous: Destructive or unwholesome.
35. Eminency: Summit or highest point: A rising ground or elevated hill.
Conclusion: The Holy Bible is full of terms that need defining but this list was just the ones that I have come across in my readings. I sincerely hope everyone enjoyed my hub and I invite everybody to read my other religious articles. I have links to my other religious hubs on this page, feel free to check them out.
Have You Ever Read It?
Have you ever read the Holy Bible?
What Is It?
view quiz statistics
The Meaning of Bible words
Home town of Jesus
© 2013 Buster Johnson