- Religion and Philosophy»
- Exploring Religious Options
Unpopular Attributes of God
"I am the LORD, your Holy One, The Creator of Israel, your King." – Isaiah 43:1
And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME." - Revelation 4:8
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.-1 John 1:5
God’s holiness is the crowning attribute of all His other attributes. So God being Holy means that God’s Love is Holy Love. His Justice is Holy Justice. His goodness is Holy goodness, etc. It means that there is not a fault in it, there’s not a dot of stain, not a glimpse of darkness, nothing but pure light! It’s incomparable, just, and righteous. Therefore, to deny His holiness is to deny all His attributes.
And that is also the very reason why it is one of the most unpopular attributes of God. His Holiness reveals darkness and outshines it, and those who walk in darkness hates Light. So many people profess to believe in God yet act like He gave no commandments to be obeyed. They treat Him as some sort of trinket that can bring luck and nothing but momentary/earthly happiness!
Note: If you have repented and believed in the Lord Jesus Christ then you have been clothed with His holiness. This is in terms of our standing before God, and this is purely by His grace through the work of Christ. But we are then called to live holy lives. We are made holy in Christ then we are called to live holy lives.(1 Thes 4:7/1 Peter 1:16-17) There’s a distinction between the two. He clothed us with His holiness in terms of our redemption then we are commanded to live holy lives in Him. Both of which is purely by His grace but the first one is solely accomplished by Christ. The latter is a joint venture with God. (Still by His grace) To further understand this, I suggest the book, “The Pursuit of Holiness,” by Jerry Bridges.
- "The Rock! His work is perfect, For all His ways are just; A God of faithfulness and without injustice, Righteous and upright is He. – Deuteronomy 32:4
- But the LORD abides forever; He has established His throne for judgment, And He will judge the world in righteousness; He will execute judgment for the peoples with equity. – Psalm 9:7-8
- For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.-Romans 6:23
God’s Holy Justice is always mistaken by the world as an unjust wrath of a bitter dictator. That’s because (apart from His saving grace) we refuse to acknowledge how much we deserve His justice because of our sins. But praise God because He is also a merciful God, that out of His love for us He poured His holy wrath upon Jesus Christ instead. His obedient Son took upon Himself our punishment and so satisfied His Holy Justice. What we will receive if we believe in Christ? Not His wrath but His love, mercy and grace. Praise God!
The Lord continues to manifest His Holy justice and will not let the wicked/wickedness go unpunished.
- Whatever the LORD pleases, He does, in heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps. – Psalm 135:6
- Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, 'My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure'; - Isaiah 46:10
- "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What have You done?' – Daniel 4:3-5
- You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use? – Romans 9:19-21
- “O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not God in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. In your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand you.”- 2 Chronicles 20:6
- As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.-Isaiah 55:10-11
What happens is God’s will. God’s Will will happen. Proverbs 3:5-6, Psalm 37
- When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations—the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you— 2and when the Lord your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally.a Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. 3Do not intermarry with them. Do not give your daughters to their sons or take their daughters for your sons, 4for they will turn your children away from following me to serve other gods, and the Lord’s anger will burn against you and will quickly destroy you. 5This is what you are to do to them: Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones, cut down their Asherah polesb and burn their idols in the fire. 6For you are a people holy to the Lord your God. The Lord your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on the face of the earth to be his people, his treasured possession.-Deuteronomy 7:1-6
- "But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars and cut down their Asherim 14-- for you shall not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God-- 15otherwise you might make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they would play the harlot with their gods and sacrifice to their gods, and someone might invite you to eat of his sacrifice,-Exodus 34:13-15
- for I will deliver the inhabitants of the land into your hand, and you will drive them out before you.32"You shall make no covenant with them or with their gods. 33"They shall not live in your land, because they will make you sin against Me; for if you serve their gods, it will surely be a snare to you."-Exodus 23:31-33
God’s jealousy is not the human kind of jealousy. It is not a selfish act nor a bitter emotion. His is Holy jealousy. Especially as a Christian who is a recipient of every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1), we ought to understand that God deserves first place in our lives---simply because He is our life.
His jealousy is also an act of protection and preservation. God knows how we can easily be “distracted.” He also knows that it will be destructive for us, that’s why He commanded to devote such things, which rob us of our devotion to God, to destruction. We ought to cling on God alone.
Soli Deo Gloria!