- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
My Favorite Bible Verses
My favorite Bible Verses, you ask! You really got me thinking. There are several that jump up immediately. But, then I would think of another one. And then another one. So, this took longer than I anticipated.
Here are mine (from the NIV):
- Romans 8:26-27 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit interceds for the saints in accordance with God's will. This ones really is my all-time favorite verse. There have been so many times in my life in which I have not been able to form a word much less a thought. This verse always comforted me to know that I don't have to.
- Matthew 5:44 But I tell you: Love you enemies and pray for those who persecute you. I'll be honest. This is a hard verse for anyone. It goes against our human nature. But I found that when I was reminded of this verse and acted on it, I felt like a better person.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come. This is something that many of us in the faith have failed to fully realize. The old self is gone. We should not hold the past against any believer. If they were a thief and when they became a Christian, truly changing their ways, then we should look at them as though the past never happened.
- Job 38:4 Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand. This verse always humbles me. Where was I? Not here. I'm not God. I cannot command the heaves. I cannot create something out of nothing.
- Psalm 142:3 When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me. This plea comes from David as he was hiding in a cave. A man after God's own heart needed to plea. He pled to the one who could save him and did. This whole chapter reassures me when I feel attacked.
- Proverbs 31:10 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. How true this is. This verse always challenges me to become more valuable than rubies. I have a long way to go, but I'm on the road.
- Galatians 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. These words should be written in our hearts and whereever our eyes land. It is the job of every Christian to strife toward these attributes. We fall short so often, but get up and keep going. Loving can be hard, but it is so worth it. Joy is something many lack and don't seem to fully understand. Peace doesn't seem to be as popular as arguying and fighting. Patience takes too long but is a step toward great wisdom. Kindness is an act we have to challenge most people to take. Goodness comes from many directions instead of from all. Faithfulness can be a weak point if we are not sure of where I faith is. Gentleness isn't always the "in" thing. Self-control is another hard one but a very valuable one. All of these should be a goal for each of us. Write this verse out and place it in multiple areas around your so that you are always reminded.
- Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges teh thoughts and atittudes of the heart. I remember when I first realized the truth of this statement. I was always raised in the church and I think that when you are around anything for an extended period of time you begin to get complacent and go along with anything. I finally woke up and realized that it was living and had so much to give to me.
There so many others that pull at me, but these are the ones the pull me the most.