- Religion and Philosophy
Paranormal Experiences In Bedrooms
Frightening experiences in the bedroom!
The paranormal can produce scary events but some of the most vivid and terrifying accounts occur in bedrooms. We've all heard of haunted bedrooms - nearly every old mansion or castle seems to have one - so they are nothing knew. In addition, bedroom activity is not restricted to historical places - thousands of ordinary bedrooms are affected in the same way.
However, when you look at the amount of phenomena occurring, when people are both awake and sleeping, the question arises why does so much activity take place in a bedroom? Is it possible that when body rhythms and brain activity is slowed down, so blanking out stimuli from the physical world, this makes experiencing the paranormal more likely? Certainly when looking at statistics for paranormal experiences a significant number do seem to happen when people are in a relaxed state.
The problem of course, is that when people are sleeping and events occur, this is often put down to sleep paralysis and/or hallucination. However, many claim that they are wide awake when things happen. In addition, the phenomena doesn't occur only at night, but during the day as well. Many people, desperate to prove that they are not going insane, have left cameras and audio recorders running - in numerous cases proving that neither sleep paralysis, moving in their sleep or hallucination are to blame for the activity.
Most common paranormal phenomena in bedrooms.
There isn't a shortage of the type of paranormal activity that occurs in bedrooms. Private houses, inns, posh hotels - it doesn't seem to matter, the phenomena is the same.
The following is the most common types of phenomena described but it's not exhaustive:
- Feelings of being watched and sense of presence. This phenomena does happen in other areas of a home/hotel. However, people often describe this feeling as being much stronger in the bedroom, especially at night times.
- Witnesses may also describe seeing apparitions, shadows or lights (orbs). Again these are not only confined to bedroom areas.
- Beds moving - this can range from slight vibration, beds shaking violently, beds actually moving and headboards being banged. Particularly in cases where there seems to be a negative spirit present, beds being physically moved, jarred or shaken are common. The intent may either be to frighten occupants - in the case of a negative spirit. However, it's just as likely that a spirit is simply trying to get attention.
- Bedclothes being moved. This is another classic phenomena and ranges from gentle tugging of blankets/sheets to bed clothes being violently ripped off the bed. Aggressive pulling of bed clothes is normally a sign of a negative presence but attention seeking spirits can also create this phenomena.
- Being moved, pulled out or thrown out of bed. This terrifying ordeal normally only occurs when negative spirit/forces are around. In many of the incidents of this nature, the people are not asleep but fully awake when this violent phenomena takes place. In rare cases where demonic forces are thought to have been involved, this is a common occurrence. However, negative human spirits are also prone to this form of aggression.
- Sensations of being strangled or at least firm pressure being felt around the neck. Although this doesn't just happen in bedrooms, it is an experience that frequently happens when people are asleep. People have also described a sensation like hands across their mouth, making it difficult to breath.
- Other feelings of being touched include face, limbs or hair being stroked. In addition it's a common phenomena to either hear or feel breathing close to them.
- People also report activity such as someone getting into bed and lying beside them, when no one is there. These experiences include feeling the mattress depress, pillows moving and having weight depressions like someone's head has been there, bed clothes rustling and moving as if someone physical was present. On occasion there has been reports of a spirit actually manifesting in the bed at these times.
- Other activity that happens in bedrooms -and other areas - include strange smells, voices and other sounds such as tapping, banging and a sound described like a bird's wings flapping. Music and singing is also reported quite frequently.
- Bedrooms are also places - along with other areas of the house - where poltergeist activity is experienced. In the bedroom this can centre around the bed area - for example scratching noises heard under the bed or at the headboard. Electrical disturbances such as bed side lamps, electric clocks, computers, tv's are also frequently affected by being turned on and off. Again this is phenomena that can be found in other rooms.
- People often sense that cupboards, wardrobes and mirrors are the source or cause of paranormal phenomena in a bedroom. However, we need to be aware that fear and stress may cause this effect due to the fact that cupboards in particular can look creepy at night time.
- Cold spots are found in bedrooms as well as other areas of a home.
It's clear then that although most of the phenomena experienced in bedrooms can also be found in other areas of the house, physical activity surrounding the bed is obviously unique to this area.
In addition, there is also the activity that can occur when people are relaxing or sleeping in their bedroom. When a house is haunted it's often reported by the witnesses that their dreams were affected when the phenomena first began to manifest. This interference or contact with people while in the sleeping state is obviously mostly a bedroom phenomena but does happen when people are sleeping on a couch for example. The 'dreams' range from frightening nightmares to benign encounters with an unknown person. Nightmares are often the work of negative energies that are trying to breach the protective aura during sleep.
Why is the dream state such an open doorway for spirits? Well firstly it isn't always. We are on the whole protected during sleep as we are at any other time. However, our minds or consciousness is closer to other dimensions during sleep than at any other time apart from perhaps meditation. In addition, where a negative force is involved what can happen is that the aura and other protective barriers we have can be drained and broken down due to fear, stress and lack of sleep. When a split in the aura takes place spiritual energies filter in. When this energy is negative it can cause physical and mental health problems for the person concerned. This can also spread out into the rest of the location affecting other people and causing paranormal phenomena to erupt.
Angry spirit in the bedroom?
Shona and Mark are a married couple I've known for a very long time as we were nurses together. This is a shortened version of their disturbing account which took place in 1997. Shona explains:
"I was so excited about getting our first house that the kind of cold, heavy feeling I had when I first visited the place was brushed to the side. I put it down to the place being empty for a while and the weather, even although it was May and it hadn't been that warm. I didn't realise at the time that Mark felt the same way as me, but he just ignored it as well.
It was only our third night in our own house when I was woken up a few of times during the night, but I couldn't say what had caused it, although on the second occasion I had felt the bed move, like a sudden jolt, but I thought it was just Mark moving about. I went back to sleep with difficulty as I couldn't get away from the feeling of being watched. But it had been tiring and difficult days settling in, so I put it all down to that. I didn't realise that this was just the beginning of six months of stress and fear. Things kept building up. The bedroom, even in daylight, seemed to be dark even although the sun would shine in through the windows. I kept seeing movement out of the corner of my eye, but when I turned my head to look nothing would be there.
During the day the house was creepy, especially our bedroom, but night time things went from creepy to scary. If I bought something new for myself I would look in the large oval mirror in our bedroom we had been given as a wedding present, I stopped doing that about two weeks after we moved in since the feeling of someone watching me was over whelming and it was only in that room.
I finally said to Mark how I was feeling and expected him to laugh and tell me I was daft! In a way I was hoping he would say that. Instead his face went white, he stayed quiet and then silently lifted up his shirt on the left side. There was a fresh bruise, large and sore looking. I just looked at him. He said that twice when getting up for work in the mornings he had been pushed on the stairs. The second time had happened that same morning and the shove had been so hard that he had been knocked into the banister. He also said that he was sure he saw, not a figure as such, but like a shadow moving about. I think I gave him the biggest hug and we both felt at that point a huge sense of needing to protect one another.
During the night we also experienced the bed moving, like it was shaking then it would stop. On one occasion we heard what was like very light footsteps or tapping but it was on the headboard of the bed! This would last for an hour or more before finally stopping.
Although Mark didn't experience any more aggression on the stairs, the feeling of oppression, being stared at and the clawing coldness remained. On top of all that we had lights blowing, things switching on and off, doors opening and on at least three occasions a really bad smell, like rotting fish. I became so scared of going into our bedroom that I would get clothes and everything else I needed for the day out of the room before Mark left for work. I didn't want to go in there when he wasn't around. Sometimes I also thought I heard whispering. I couldn't make out voices, or whether they were male or female, but it was like people having a secret conversation. At these times the feelings of being watched was very strong and not pleasant at all, it was like when someone is right in your face, invading your personal space without permission.
Through all this Mark and I never argued or became angry or negative - I mention this because since our experience we have spoken to and read about many others having these incidents. Quite a few people said that the 'ghosts' seemed to cause aggression and anger. It did seem that in many of the accounts families would argue and fight much more than normal and some couples even split up. For Mark and I, maybe we were lucky, but it made us much closer.
Finally, we blurted everything out to Mark's Mum - a formidable lady that I had been a bit wary of although I did like her. I was a nervous wreck watching her face as Mark told her everything. To my relief - and I warmed to her from that day on - she didn't make fun of us or ridicule us in any way, but said she would arrange for someone to call. Two days later a lovely, elderly priest came to our house and blessed it. From that day, things got better. It didn't go away entirely, but a few months later Mark got a promotion and we moved house. Four years ago those houses were knocked down to make way for nice flats. I don't know who or what was in our house or if anyone else experienced what we did, but I will never forget what we went through. I know people are very sceptical about things like this, but they're so wrong. I don't know how spirits, ghosts or whatever exist. There's nothing in science to account for or explain them, but all Mark and I know is that they are real, very, very real!"
Comparison of sleep paralysis and accounts of Incubus/Succubus
1. Happens when going to sleep or on waking up.
1. People can have feelings of paralysis etc. However, this attack can also happen when people are awake and not always in a bedroom.
2. Full or almost entire paralysis. Some people can move head or eyes.
2. Frequent feelings of evil, dread, presence in the general area before an attack happens.
3. Pressure on chest & weight pushing down on them. Some people may experience intimate physical sensations.
3. Often there is other paranormal activity in the area such as smells, noises, movement of objects, apparitions etc.
4. Breathing difficulties.
4. Physical sensation of an intimate nature. Often felt, even when the person is fully awake, dressed and moving around.
5. May hallucinate - shadow or dark images.
5.Other people in the same location experience the same phenomena.
6. Feelings of fear are intense. People can also have the sensation of evil being present.
6. Not all people claim that the attacks are negative or violent. Some report feeling very positive about the experience.
7. Many people can identify specific triggers that may cause them to experience sleep paralyis, for example if they are particularly stressed.
7. These attacks happen without, usually, any known specific trigger.
Incubus, succubus and sleep paralysis
Night time attacks are recorded from thousands of years ago. This is not a new phenomena. Most of the night time cases of feeling paralysed, unable to breath and feelings of terror can be put down to a condition called 'parasomnia' or more commonly known as 'sleep paralysis'.
Parasomnia happens when a dissociated state activates one area of the brain, while other areas of the brain remain in the REM sleep state. Why this actually happens is not fully understood as yet. However, people who experience parasomnia on a regular basis often feel that there is a trigger that prompts an attack such as severe stress etc. In addition, it's also fairly common for people to experience visual activity - often referred to as hallucinations - in the form of dark outlines or shadows.
Commonly sleep paralysis occurs when people are going to sleep (Hypnagogic) or waking up (Hypnopompic). People report that the feelings of being unable to move - even to the extent that they can't open their eyes or move their heads - are terrifying. In addition, heavy pressure felt on the chest and feelings of being pressed down, are accompanied by difficulty breathing and in a few cases the witness even reports a powerful sense of presence, usually sinister or evil around them. The experience usually stops when the person is suddenly able to physically move. However, it can leave them feeling exhausted and understandably very shaken!
So according to scientists this should be the end of the matter. These experiences - often referred to in the Western world as 'the night hag' can be dismissed as physical and physiological effects. However, as is usual with the paranormal, this is not the whole story. Quite a number of these cases, although similar in some aspects, are also very different and point to a more menacing event taking place.
Incubus attack/visit is a name or term that's used frequently to explain phenomena that occurs of an intimate nature - normally during the night, but not always. Not all the experiences are unpleasant. However, pleasant or not, I would always be cautious about any energy that seems to come around a person uninvited. In addition the word incubus usually refers to a demonic like entity who has intimate contact with a female. If a man has the same experience then it's a succubus - which is felt to be a female energy. Having said this, it's not uncommon for incidents to occur where this 'energy' seems to be able to take on the persona of both male and female depending on who it's 'visiting'. This kind of experience has been recorded for thousands of years and known by many different cultural names. However, by and large the experiences tend to be the same:
- The sensation of physical contact of an intimate nature. Frequently happening at night time but not always and not always in a bedroom setting.
- There can be a feeling of oppression and evil but not always.
- The incidents can be violent - but again not always.
- Different people have experienced the same phenomena in the same location. In some of these cases, there may be a form of 'shape-shifting' taking place as men describe a female energy, women a male energy.
- There is often other paranormal phenomena experienced but again, not in every case.
- These episodes can last a short time or go on throughout a person's lifetime.
- There are many witnesses who state that they 'knew before going to sleep' that a change in atmosphere had occurred and that a 'visit' would happen.
Looking at the table above we can see that although there are similarities between parasomnia and the paranormal scenarios, there also major differences such as - some people are awake when the experience happens, in some cases they are not even in bed! There is frequently other phenomena going on around them and different people at different times have experienced the same phenomena in the same location.
It might be the case that we will never be able to prove one way or another whether a person is experiencing sleep paralysis or a true incubus/succubus attack. What we have been able to do is to capture at least some bedroom phenomena by way of audio and video. These at least show that the activity is not just in the person's mind, but has a reality within the physical realm.
Perhaps it's only a matter of time before these sinister night time visitors are exposed for what they truly are - products of our mind or entities from who knows where? I'm open-minded enough and impressed enough by some cases on record that indicate an intelligent and external energy is responsible for at least some of these accounts.
To finish off the hub there are a few prayers of protection listed at the end for those who feel they would benefit from them. There is also a guided meditation of protection video - I've tried this meditation and found it very relaxing and enjoyable.
If you feel you do have activity going on in your home, be assured that you are not alone. Call in an investigation group. They may also be able to cleanse your home if it is indeed paranormally active. If they can't, there are many who can offer this service. In addition, if anyone has there own stories to relate then please feel free to share them with us.
Have you had paranormal experiences in a bedroom?
Prayers of protection
Traditionally it is the angelic and archangelic powers that are the most effective in giving protection against evil forces - whether human or other. This is also beneficial to anyone, since the angelic forces are found in most belief systems in some form or another.
Circle of Light
The light of God surrounds us (me).
The love of God enfolds us (me).
The power of God protects us (me).
The presence of God watches over us (me).
Wherever we are (I am), God is.
And all is well.
The Prayer to the Archangel Michael
Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do thou, Oh Prince of the Heavenly Host, by God’s power, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Glorious Prince of Heaven’s armies, Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of darkness, against the wicked spirits in the high places.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do thou, Oh Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
In the name of the Father,
And of the Son,
And of the Holy Spirit.
Original Catholic version:
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Oh Glorious Prince of the Heavenly Armies, Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in “our battle against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places” (Ephesians 6:12).
Come to the assistance of those God has created to His likeness, and whom He has redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of the devil.
The Holy Church venerates you as her guardian and protector; to you, the Lord has entrusted the souls of the redeemed to be led into heaven. Pray, therefore, to the God of Peace to crush Satan beneath our feet, that he may no longer retain men captive and do injury to the Church.
Offer our prayers to the Most High, that without delay they may draw His mercy down upon us; take hold of “the dragon, the serpent of old, which is the devil and Satan,” bind him and cast him into the bottomless pit “that he may no longer seduce the nations” (Revelations 20:2–3).
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.