Pokémon Go Or Pokémon No? What People Are Saying
Pokémon is short for "pocket monster." The word Pokémon is singular or plural. Therefore, there is no "s" on it. Grammatically, it is correct to say "one Pokémon" as well as "several Pokémon." Also, there is an accent mark over the "e" when Pokémon is written even though many times writers will leave the accent mark off the word.
What is Pokémon Go?
Pokémon Go was released on July 6, 2016. The Pokémon characters have been around for a long time. Young children became familiar with the characters in cartoons back in 1996 when the original game was released. Then a movie was made about the characters. Almost all children are familiar with Pokémon, and many children own one or more of the characters.
Pokémon is a role-playing game involving cards, Nintendo Game Boy, and TV cartoons. The cards have pictures of more than 150 Pokémon, or little monsters with special powers who live in the world with humans. The object of the game is to collect as many Pokémon as possible and teach them to go against other people's Pokémon. They do this by using their own abilities and special powers to defeat Pokémon belonging to others. Pokémon can evolve and pass through up to 100 levels. Colored energy cards are sometimes used to aid the Pokémon. There are 729 Pokémon characters, and they all have names.
How to Get Pokémon Go
Pokémon Go is a game that became popular as soon as it was released. It is free to play once it is downloaded on a person's smartphone. It was developed by Niantic specifically for iOS and Android devices. The game is based on players using their device's GPS and camera to capture, battle, and train virtual creatures, called Pokémon, who appear on the screen as if they were in the same location as the player.
Popularity of Pokémon Go
Pokémon Go quickly became one of the most used mobile apps shortly after it was released early in July. It was reported to have been downloaded more than 75 million times all over the world.
Critics say Pokémon Go is so popular because it is a reality game that many can play at the same time in a competition. Playing the game fosters community. Also, the Pokémon Go promotes physical activity.
Praises For Pokémon Go
"Immensely enjoyable experience"
'Like a massively multiplayer online game"
"Best exercise app available"
"Used for a great workout"
"Greatest unintentional health fad ever"
Philip Kollar and Frank Frank
"Exciting social experience"
"Good overall experience"
Pokémon Go Met With Mixed Reviews
Even though Pokémon Go is popular among some, the game has been met with mixed reviews from others. Some people who have critiqued the game say there is nothing wrong with the concept of the game to become more active outside in the real world; however, they have other oughts against Pokémon Go.
Pokémon Go has been criticized for causing accidents and becoming a public nuisance at some unauthorized locations.
Pokémon Go Criticized By General Public
The app was criticized for using locations such as cemeteries and memorials as sites to catch Pokémon including the following:
- The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- The National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- Arlington National Cemetery.
Complaints have been recorded in reference to the following:
- The Dutch company ProRail said that players don't mind going on their railway tracks with no concern for passing trains.
- Fire stations complain of players congregating outside.
- People complain of locations being in their private neighborhood. Some have been in people's yards.
Warnings About Pokémon Go
Some critics see Pokémon Go as being dangerous to some extent; therefore, officials have issued warnings about playing the game.
- Several police departments have issued warnings about people not paying attention while driving. People have left their cars running in the middle of the road to caught a Pokémon.
- There have many reports of trespassing.
- People have suffered various injuries from accidents related to the game. Bosnian players have been warned to stay out of minefields that are still there from the Bosnian War in the 1990s.
- On July 20, 2016, just days after the game's released, it was reported that an 18-year-old boy in Chiquimula, Guatemala was shot and killed while playing the game late in the evening. His 17-year-old cousin was shot in the foot.
- In Japan, the first accident occurred within hours of the game's release.
What Christians Are Saying About Pokémon Go
The Christian community has concerns about Pokémon Go. Some Christians wonder if Pokémon Go is a good pastime for young people. Here is a summary of their concerns.
- Christian parents question the spiritual value of Pokémon Go.
- Pokémon Go has been thought of as a Satanic tool.
- Christians believe Pokémon Go is occultic and has demonic forces.
- The game has been desired as harmful mania.
- Children’s physical safety is a concern because they follow the characters to unfamiliar locations.
- Children are often unaware of their surroundings because they are looking down most of the time.
- There is an economic risk. Users are prompted to buy other game elements.
- Indonesian officials think Pokémon is a national security threat.
- Israel banned the game from its Army bases because of security issues.
- Pokémon Go has been criticized because of discrimination because people with physical disabilities can't play the game.